Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 05:13 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
W140, CLS55, SL65
Thoughts about Prior-Design widebody kit

Hi folks,

I like this PD widebody kit:
https://www.priordesignnorthamerica....edes-cls-w219/

It's not cheap. I was quoted $7K for this kit and a hood which is sold separately is another $1200. It's pretty expensive venture considering the quoted price and that it requires "48hrs of good hard work" (this is a quote from my conversation with PD representative).

I recently started a conversation with PD of NA representative but currently there are few things that are not clear to me:

1) Since installation seems pretty labor-intensive (which may even include molding) I'd like to better understand the installation process. I wonder if anyone has any instructions or manuals which describe the process. On the website it says "additional adjustment work is required" and "wheel arches and possibly the front fenders must be cut out". That whole paragraph on the website above is a bit messy and contains duplicate text. Since I won't be installing this kit due to luck of knowledge, time and tools I'd like to at least see the step-by-step instruction just to estimate the amount or complexity of such job. It's one thing when they sell you a kit and also give detailed instructions (not IKEA-like but at least something) and it's completely another story when they just sell you a body kit and then you are on your own. I already ate some sh*t with Lorinser bumpers for W140 and I'd like to avoid similar mistakes with CLS.

2) It's still not clear if that hood is sold as a hood or just inserts. Initially PD representative told me it's just an insert but if you look at that hood you will see that it's different compared to our W219 hoods (CLS55, CLS63). I attached a pic where I circled the different parts besides inserts or vents. My OEM hood is more "flat" and has a vent on the back while PD hood has curves and I don't see any vent on the back.

If anyone here has installed this kit or knows anyone who did or even if you have more pics than that stock picks available on the PD website please share more info. I'd like to know more about this kit before I pull the trigger and order it. Thank you!

PS: here are few different pics here:
md exclusive CLS63 - for some reason this forum damages some external links or words... Idk yet how to fix it. Both galleries are on MD-EXCLUSIVE-CARDESIGN website. You may find W219 CLS55 and CLS63 on their website in Products -> Mercedes -> CLS.
md exclusive CLS55
https://www.tuningblog.eu/en/categor...nn-cls-182728/

PPS: https://www.magnatuning.com/en/produ...-Wide-Body-Kit - here price is a bit lower than in my quote.