HID low beam issue. Need help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 05:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 CLS 55 AMG
HID low beam issue. Need help.

I recently purchased my 2006 CLS 55.

The previous owner had installed an ebay HID low beam kit. Previous owner stated that he didn't butcher any of the parts to install it.

On the drive home from the purchase my dash tells me that my passenger side low beam is out. I check it and sure enough it is out.

In order to remove the bulb I had to bend 2 metal tabs on the headlight assembly that stays in the car. This does not seem right to me. I feel like I am missing some piece like a bulb socket or a retainer spring. At this point I cant even go back to stock H7 bulbs without having to rebend the headlight assembly housing and I know I can only bend those tabs so many time before they break. I feel like there should be something there to allow a quarter or half turn install and removal.

Just sitting in headlight with tabs not bent down

The bulb style I'm trying to get to go in.

Assembly without bulb.

sideview of factory bulb plug

face view of factory bulb plug

I've searched the internet but can't seem to find a picture of what the low beam bulb installed in the headlight should look like.

I took pictures of what I have, hopefully somebody with a CLS can tell me what I am missing from the factory bulb setup, because right now I'm stuck with a round hole and square peg situation.
The following users liked this post:
Lave55 (07-04-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 09:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 CLS 55 AMG
Can someone please take a picture of their low beam bulb in a cls headlight assembly?

I know this is a big ask, also with the bulb out of the assembly but still plugged into the harness so I can see how the bulb plugs into the factory harness.

I think any cls from 2004 to 2010 should be the same as mine

Last edited by Sudokujw; 07-06-2020 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Add info.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Sudokujw
I recently purchased my 2006 CLS 55.

The previous owner had installed an ebay HID low beam kit. Previous owner stated that he didn't butcher any of the parts to install it.

On the drive home from the purchase my dash tells me that my passenger side low beam is out. I check it and sure enough it is out.

In order to remove the bulb I had to bend 2 metal tabs on the headlight assembly that stays in the car. This does not seem right to me. I feel like I am missing some piece like a bulb socket or a retainer spring. At this point I cant even go back to stock H7 bulbs without having to rebend the headlight assembly housing and I know I can only bend those tabs so many time before they break. I feel like there should be something there to allow a quarter or half turn install and removal.

Just sitting in headlight with tabs not bent down

The bulb style I'm trying to get to go in.

Assembly without bulb.

sideview of factory bulb plug

face view of factory bulb plug

I've searched the internet but can't seem to find a picture of what the low beam bulb installed in the headlight should look like.

I took pictures of what I have, hopefully somebody with a CLS can tell me what I am missing from the factory bulb setup, because right now I'm stuck with a round hole and square peg situation.
The picture where you have the bulb pointing forward has a silver retaining ring between the bulb and rubber grommet. That retainer needs to fit the bulb base to back end of projector but the orientation rotation is important. The tabs on the retainer ring should be not quite 180* for it to fit.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:34 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 CLS 550
And just so you know, most of the time (not all) the ballast will take a crap before the bulb, in most cases. I'd check that to...