C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

07 CLS 63 AMG As A First Car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
07 CLS 63 AMG As A First Car?

I found a really sweet 07 W219 AMG in my area. It's got 178k KMs and it looks like it's in fantastic shape.
The owner claims there are no issues with it at all and I'm really in love with it.

Here's some info about me.
I'm from Ontario Canada and 21. I'm a uni student but due to Covid all my classes are online for the foreseeable future so I'm saving a ton in rent. By the time classes start up I'll have around a year of uni left. The car is up for 13k CAD. I can buy the car comfortably but I wanted to know what maintenance and up keep would cost monthly or yearly, what common problems I should be looking for, and weather or not this will be a reliable car. According to some quotes I've gotten for insurance, TD has the best at around 290 a month including taxes. I'm estimating another 300 in gas for the amount I will be driving it. I have internships through my uni and that's mainly how I'll be affording the car.
Will this last me 4-5 years without a problem or should I pass on it?

Let me know if you think there's any info I missed and I can see if I can provide it to help you help me.

Edit: I just wanted to add that my dad is a mechanic and knows his way around cars and trucks. Any regular maintenance I plan on having him help me with.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:42 PM

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by YoungAndDumb
I found a really sweet 07 W219 AMG in my area. It's got 178k KMs and it looks like it's in fantastic shape.
The owner claims there are no issues with it at all and I'm really in love with it.

Here's some info about me.
I'm from Ontario Canada and 21. I'm a uni student but due to Covid all my classes are online for the foreseeable future so I'm saving a ton in rent. By the time classes start up I'll have around a year of uni left. The car is up for 13k CAD. I can buy the car comfortably but I wanted to know what maintenance and up keep would cost monthly or yearly, what common problems I should be looking for, and weather or not this will be a reliable car. According to some quotes I've gotten for insurance, TD has the best at around 290 a month including taxes. I'm estimating another 300 in gas for the amount I will be driving it. I have internships through my uni and that's mainly how I'll be affording the car.
Will this last me 4-5 years without a problem or should I pass on it?

Let me know if you think there's any info I missed and I can see if I can provide it to help you help me.

Edit: I just wanted to add that my dad is a mechanic and knows his way around cars and trucks. Any regular maintenance I plan on having him help me with.
My advice is that it is not a good first car. Is it worth going into debt this young? The car is fairly reliable if it has regular maintenance done. The regular maintenance can get expensive, moreso if something major goes wrong. Even if you are doing your own work, parts can get expensive especially on a college budget.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
1987 190e 2.3-16 sold and missed, 1966 220s, 2016 GL550, 1999 C43, 2006 CLS 55
I agree with lost27. Although you may be able to afford the car. But think of maintenance costs which is not cheap.

Those 6.3 early motors were notorious for head bolt issues. If you still insist on buying one make sure at least that has been done.

Finish school then you can buy yourself a newer one. In fact you may be better off buying a CLS55. Better motor and easily modded to get more power.

Last edited by mbdreamr; 11-06-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-05-2020, 09:33 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,405 Likes on 2,848 Posts
2012 CLS63
Very good advice given thus far Keep it simple a few more years and good things will come! We all get our turn young brother; we all get our turn