M3 or C32 AMG...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Blk E55
M3 or C32 AMG...

Hey guys
OK well I am in debate... I will be purchasing a new used car near the end of this year... Its between a white C32 AMG and a white BMW M3...
Just want to know what you guys think about both these cars in all aspects...

Thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 09:03 PM

C63 / ////AMG
Well, since this an AMG forum, the answers you will receive here will be quite biased. So, I will leave that to the few here that actually own both the C32 and the M3; their answers will be the most useful.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:14 PM

BLACK 2005 SLK55 AMG,02 SILVER C32(SOLD),02 ML320 SILVER(Sold),99 S320 BLUE, 03 E500 Sport Pewter
ls1 is selling a white c32 on this forum its really nice and he'll give a good price
Old 03-08-2005, 09:31 PM

C32
Well, all I can say is that I was presented with the same choice, and I went with the C32. To me it was a better choice. The M3 will be a better car if you go to road courses alot, and do not plan to do power mods. The C32 is a better choice for a daily driver with above average handling, and great moddability.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:39 PM

2005 Blk E55
Originally Posted by AaronC
Well, all I can say is that I was presented with the same choice, and I went with the C32. To me it was a better choice. The M3 will be a better car if you go to road courses alot, and do not plan to do power mods. The C32 is a better choice for a daily driver with above average handling, and great moddability.

Its going to be my daily driver...but i will definately be modin it a little (19s, lowered, pully ect ect...)
Old 03-08-2005, 09:40 PM

2005 Blk E55
Originally Posted by chitownc32
ls1 is selling a white c32 on this forum its really nice and he'll give a good price
How much? link?

Old 03-08-2005, 09:47 PM

BLACK 2005 SLK55 AMG,02 SILVER C32(SOLD),02 ML320 SILVER(Sold),99 S320 BLUE, 03 E500 Sport Pewter
his thread is on this topic forum he is asking how much he could get on a trade in you could get a really good deal from him im sure he rathwer sell it to someone rathwer than trading it in
Old 03-08-2005, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
i think i'd rather have a fully loaded e46 m3
Old 03-08-2005, 11:49 PM
Almost a Member!

'05 MB C55, '04 BMW 330Ci
i'd take an E46 M3 over a C32.
a C55 over an E46 M3.
a E90 M3 over all.

check out http://forum.e46fanatics.com/ for some great info on M3s

Last edited by NayC55; 03-08-2005 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:55 PM

C32 AMG
I'd take the M3

if I wanted to come in 2nd....
but since I like to win, I have a C32
Old 03-08-2005, 11:56 PM

C32 AMG
I'd take the M3

Old 03-09-2005, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
I smoked another E46M3 on the HWY this weekend.
Lost him good..He was driving all crazy, had dealer plates, new car..assclown was pwned..and kinda bummed too..
I saw him comming, thinking he pwned the road..weaving inand out, Gucci glasses and all..
He came up and tryed to fly by, I stepped on it, passed him and he could not catch me..then we got in traffic, he rolled up and would not look over at me, all pissed..
Awsomeness
Old 03-09-2005, 01:33 AM

05' MB C-dblenckel
tough call, cuz a WHITE M3 looks clean!!
Old 03-09-2005, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
I go with a C32 for everyday driving, M3 if you just want to trash on the track. Vader You the Man!
Old 03-09-2005, 01:46 AM

I've owned both. I was #1 on the wait list for the e46 m3 (6 spd) and owned it for 3 yrs before selling her for financial reasons. Now I'm in a C32.

They're two totally different cars. With the sport button on the throttle response in the m3 is more addictive than sex (almost). The m3 props you up in the driving position so you won't be chilling with the seat low and back in that car. The m3 is a driving tool. It's an extension of your foot and hands in a sense because it's very precise (you can basically drive at 100 mph, straight or around a corner, and purposely come within inches of any object in the road just for fun and know you have 1 more inch to play with for the next run) if this makes sense. The bad thing about the M3 for me was that it always wants to be driven hard which means you'll always speed and will always make stupid passes and show off your power whenever you drive it, not to mention tickets. People will not like riding with you because the car handles so well at such a fast speed that they won't believe you're in control even though you'll swear that you know exactly what you're doing... wife/family etc will not like riding with you because you'll scare the heck out of them when you're really just trying to show them how great the car is... Get used to that. It's a solo car. The M3 likes to be revved. Peak torque starts at 5k up to about 7k with a little dip at the end but it feels and sounds amazing when the engine gets up that high. You will usually downshift to 3rd to really turn the power on.

The C32 (mine is a 400hp Kleemann C32k but it's the same thing). What this car has which the m3 doesn't is torque. The C32 is a cruiser. I put a nice system in mine and just cruise in style. There's a certain float-i-ness to the Mercedes. It floats while the M3 tracks almost too much and is kind of harsh on an aging HWY or street. The Merc handles very well in my opinion but not like the M3. I miss the control of the manual in the M3 but don't miss having to change gears ALL THE TIME. Maybe the smg would be better but you'll still want to shift the thing constantly, especially to keep the rpms up around 5K+ to really utilize the engine's power. My c32k has more power than the M3 and it allows me to sit back in a great looking car but then turn on the power when I need to (just to keep the teenagers off my tail..lol). The interior options in the merc are better. It's much more utilitarian than the sparse m3 with its stupid climate control and fans that come on whenever they feel like it. The seat in the M3 is comfortable but because it moves in so many different ways (reminds me of a dentists chair) you can find yourself with a serious back ache because you’ve created a seating position that your body has never been in before. I'm not kidding.

The 4 doors of course are nice in the c32 for passenger comfort (always pushing the seat forward to let people in and out of the M3 kind of gets old) plus because its looks are relatively benign people at work won't think you're all about your expensive 'sports' car.

I like the change of pace I've experienced with the C32. I think I'd choose the C32 for commuting etc and then save up for a "real" sports car (with no back seat!!) like an Elise or 911 turbo or whatever "track" like car that doesn't make any compromises if you want to put on the driving gloves. The M3 also isn't very moddable, the engine is basically maxed out and there are few cosmetic changes you can make besides the wheels. You can't go wrong with either car. Whichever one you buy you'll fall in love with it. I've had both and can say the M3's razor sharp throttle response is its best feature and the 'pull' of the supercharger and soft ride are the Mercs'.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions. No real maintenance problems with either car...so far...
Old 03-09-2005, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
M3(E46) and C32 are both faded out models, both are very fast.
Get the one which is cheaper and lower milege, better interior condition, 1-owner ; good service records; just like you choose any pre-owned cars. Start to enjoy it quick.

M3 and C32 are for race, so make sure reliability comes first. I don't think you can find a C32 and a M3 with equal conditions at the same time.

Neither of them will keep you happy for very long. Upgrade to C63(W204) or M3/4(E90) in 2006/7 that will be something need scratching your head hard.

If you ask me, if you like high revs, get the 2-door M3; for more day-to-day , get the 4-door C32. You should try test drve both.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:00 AM
Almost a Member!

'05 MB C55, '04 BMW 330Ci
Originally Posted by WardKleever
I've owned both. I was #1 on the wait list for the e46 m3 (6 spd) and owned it for 3 yrs before selling her for financial reasons. Now I'm in a C32.

They're two totally different cars. With the sport button on the throttle response in the m3 is more addictive than sex (almost). The m3 props you up in the driving position so you won't be chilling with the seat low and back in that car. The m3 is a driving tool. It's an extension of your foot and hands in a sense because it's very precise (you can basically drive at 100 mph, straight or around a corner, and purposely come within inches of any object in the road just for fun and know you have 1 more inch to play with for the next run) if this makes sense. The bad thing about the M3 for me was that it always wants to be driven hard which means you'll always speed and will always make stupid passes and show off your power whenever you drive it, not to mention tickets. People will not like riding with you because the car handles so well at such a fast speed that they won't believe you're in control even though you'll swear that you know exactly what you're doing... wife/family etc will not like riding with you because you'll scare the heck out of them when you're really just trying to show them how great the car is... Get used to that. It's a solo car. The M3 likes to be revved. Peak torque starts at 5k up to about 7k with a little dip at the end but it feels and sounds amazing when the engine gets up that high. You will usually downshift to 3rd to really turn the power on.

The C32 (mine is a 400hp Kleemann C32k but it's the same thing). What this car has which the m3 doesn't is torque. The C32 is a cruiser. I put a nice system in mine and just cruise in style. There's a certain float-i-ness to the Mercedes. It floats while the M3 tracks almost too much and is kind of harsh on an aging HWY or street. The Merc handles very well in my opinion but not like the M3. I miss the control of the manual in the M3 but don't miss having to change gears ALL THE TIME. Maybe the smg would be better but you'll still want to shift the thing constantly, especially to keep the rpms up around 5K+ to really utilize the engine's power. My c32k has more power than the M3 and it allows me to sit back in a great looking car but then turn on the power when I need to (just to keep the teenagers off my tail..lol). The interior options in the merc are better. It's much more utilitarian than the sparse m3 with its stupid climate control and fans that come on whenever they feel like it. The seat in the M3 is comfortable but because it moves in so many different ways (reminds me of a dentists chair) you can find yourself with a serious back ache because you’ve created a seating position that your body has never been in before. I'm not kidding.

The 4 doors of course are nice in the c32 for passenger comfort (always pushing the seat forward to let people in and out of the M3 kind of gets old) plus because its looks are relatively benign people at work won't think you're all about your expensive 'sports' car.

I like the change of pace I've experienced with the C32. I think I'd choose the C32 for commuting etc and then save up for a "real" sports car (with no back seat!!) like an Elise or 911 turbo or whatever "track" like car that doesn't make any compromises if you want to put on the driving gloves. The M3 also isn't very moddable, the engine is basically maxed out and there are few cosmetic changes you can make besides the wheels. You can't go wrong with either car. Whichever one you buy you'll fall in love with it. I've had both and can say the M3's razor sharp throttle response is its best feature and the 'pull' of the supercharger and soft ride are the Mercs'.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions. No real maintenance problems with either car...so far...
nicely put.
what are your thoughts on the C55?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:42 AM

C32
Originally Posted by IdriveFast
I'd take the M3

Old 03-09-2005, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
we always say, get a two-seats roadster if you think walking is better for your mother-in-law; get a two-door coupe with narrow back-seats if you hate her.
Me and my wife were once being passengers on an M3 on a whole day trip to Fuji Mt. ; honestly, it was not that bad
Old 03-09-2005, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Since you are buying used, don't get the M3. The motor is maxed out from the factory and has a documented tendancy to "Deathstar". BMW has addressed this by giving an extended warranty, but is that good enough from an engineering standpoint?

Old 03-09-2005, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Exactly why M3 > C32.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:14 PM

05' MB C-dblenckel

well put! ...and I definitely agree that it's mainly a solo car
Old 03-10-2005, 02:02 AM

nicely put.

Because the body style is changing soon my personal opinion is to hold off from buying something brand new until the new c/amg comes out, unless you're leasing of course.

After seeing the new cls amg I have a feeling most of us will want the new body style C (amg or whatever) plus it will hold its value for a long time and won't be outdated for 5+ years... That's a new purchase you'll feel good about..

later
Old 03-10-2005, 06:49 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by Izover4u
Its going to be my daily driver...but i will definately be modin it a little (19s, lowered, pully ect ect...)
daily driver = C32, BUT it's not like the M3 can't be a daily driver. It just won't be as comfortable.

my friend that has the M3 drives a Passat daily. I got a 1.8T Beetle, but I drive my C32 daily.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by NayC55
nicely put.
Exactly.

That's why C32 > M3.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M3 or C32 AMG...