C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Upgrade to CL55 Rear Bumper on W203

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 11:48 AM

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
S500 W223 2021
Question Upgrade to CL55 Rear Bumper on W203

I am planning to upgrade my car with AMG body kit, but I don’t like the Rear Bumper comparing to the rear bumper of CL55 and E55 AMG with 4 tips and black paint down which make it more sporty.

I went to some workshops who are working in creating bumper with fiber and they informed me that they can modify the rear bumper of W203 AMG to the rear bumper of CL55 or E55 exactly the same.

What Do you think guys on how it will look.

Any one here can work with Photoshop and merge the rear AMG bumper of CL55 on C W203???

Regards

Last edited by Tariq; 03-14-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "black paint" down that you mentioned is not painted. It is actually a piece of black plastic fitted on top of the bumper. If you're going to paint that area black, I think it will look pretty weird.

Your best bet is to get a CLK55 rear bumper and try to modify that onto your C. Since the chassis of the two cars are the same, it would be easier to modify that bumper.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by Harris
Your best bet is to get a CLK55 rear bumper and try to modify that onto your C. Since the chassis of the two cars are the same, it would be easier to modify that bumper.
that's what i was thinking. i'd like to see the "after" shots if you do this! should be a real nice mod!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:35 AM

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
S500 W223 2021
Originally Posted by ctC230K
that's what i was thinking. i'd like to see the "after" shots if you do this! should be a real nice mod!
This what am thinking to do.. i will post the pix after i finish,

well i guess it will looks closed as this
Attached Thumbnails Upgrade to CL55 Rear Bumper on W203-12122.jpg  
Old 03-15-2005, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
yeah man go for it. i guess you would start by buying the bumper and then modding it to fit. probably would wanna get a good body shop to work on this.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
The "black paint" down that you mentioned is not painted. It is actually a piece of black plastic fitted on top of the bumper. If you're going to paint that area black, I think it will look pretty weird.
Hi Harris
That was probably my puzzle. I have seen numerous C55 photos with the rear bumper lower portion (where the exhaust pipes are ) being black color. I thought it is a piece of carbon fibre? If it is simply a plastic cover, where can I find that? It seems it is a good idea to cover up a portion of the painted area of the rear bumper , which definitely prevents sands and stones scratching the paint. Or am I still wrong ?
cheers
cnt
Old 03-18-2005, 12:50 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by Tariq

wow! i never realized how badass that rear bumper would look on a c-calss! i like!

Trending Topics

Old 03-18-2005, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cntlaw
Hi Harris
That was probably my puzzle. I have seen numerous C55 photos with the rear bumper lower portion (where the exhaust pipes are ) being black color. I thought it is a piece of carbon fibre? If it is simply a plastic cover, where can I find that? It seems it is a good idea to cover up a portion of the painted area of the rear bumper , which definitely prevents sands and stones scratching the paint. Or am I still wrong ?
cheers
cnt
C32/C55 is the ONLY AMG car that the lower portion of the rear bumper does not have a plastic cover (yes, it is only plastic, not CF). The plastic that we are talking about is the lower center piece BETWEEN the exhaust tips (take a look at the pointed area). I have been told that it comes with the bumper, cannot be ordered separately.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrade to CL55 Rear Bumper on W203-1.jpg  
Old 09-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 500
C32/C55 is the ONLY AMG car that the lower portion of the rear bumper does not have a plastic cover (yes, it is only plastic, not CF). The plastic that we are talking about is the lower center piece BETWEEN the exhaust tips (take a look at the pointed area). I have been told that it comes with the bumper, cannot be ordered separately.
Just a follow up. Has anyone seen or done this before? A Black plastic piece on the lower rear bumper that is.

SM
Old 09-12-2005, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by smjjpres
Just a follow up. Has anyone seen or done this before? A Black plastic piece on the lower rear bumper that is.

SM
Someone made a customer carbon fiber diffuser. I seen it and it was really nice with his quad exhaust. I would do it...
Old 09-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Almost a Member!

ML 500
Originally Posted by Kenzmbz
Someone made a customer carbon fiber diffuser. I seen it and it was really nice with his quad exhaust. I would do it...
I'd do it too. Can't seem to find it anywhere...do you have any leads?

SM
Old 09-12-2005, 08:05 PM

2008 CLK63 AMG Black Series, 2022 BMW X3 M40i
I would definitely buy a carbon fiber rear diffuser for the C55. I like the way the diffuser looks on the E55. This rear piece gives the car a more aggressive look. Too bad this part is available yet for the W203. Hmm.. I wonder how the carbon fiber diffuser would look with carbon fiber door pillars?
Old 09-12-2005, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
Originally Posted by Tariq

that rear show looks similar to an older pontiac grand am

Old 11-01-2005, 07:47 AM

2002 C320 (full AMG styling) - Brilliant Silver / Ash Leather (Orion Grey)
Has anyone done this yet? either painted the inner section black or stuck some black plastic film or something onto it?

I know Saprissa has this look on his C320 Coupe but on the Sport Coupe I believe this is a separate piece. The problem is that on the W203 sedan as Tariq said it's part of the original bumper. The only viable option is to paint it or stick something on top of it I guess.

I really want this area to be black as I've changed the rear bumper on my W203 C320 to the AMG one and installed the C32 exhaust. The major issue I have is that for some strange reason my AMG bumper (yes it is genuine) appears to only be set for an oval exhaust (from the sport pack) so they needed to trim the bumper to get the twin oval C32 pipes to fit. This doesn't look too neat & I think it would look far sweeter if this centre section was black.

Even if I could get the bumper swapped out for the right one with the dual cutout I still favour having this section in Black. So trimming the bumper & painting / covering this area in black would probably work better.

I also like the idea of the diffuser in one of the other threads but don't want it in Carbon fibre.

I'm based in the UK.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:27 PM

2004.5 230K
Originally Posted by C320 UK
Has anyone done this yet? either painted the inner section black or stuck some black plastic film or something onto it?

I know Saprissa has this look on his C320 Coupe but on the Sport Coupe I believe this is a separate piece. The problem is that on the W203 sedan as Tariq said it's part of the original bumper. The only viable option is to paint it or stick something on top of it I guess.

I really want this area to be black as I've changed the rear bumper on my W203 C320 to the AMG one and installed the C32 exhaust. The major issue I have is that for some strange reason my AMG bumper (yes it is genuine) appears to only be set for an oval exhaust (from the sport pack) so they needed to trim the bumper to get the twin oval C32 pipes to fit. This doesn't look too neat & I think it would look far sweeter if this centre section was black.

Even if I could get the bumper swapped out for the right one with the dual cutout I still favour having this section in Black. So trimming the bumper & painting / covering this area in black would probably work better.

I also like the idea of the diffuser in one of the other threads but don't want it in Carbon fibre.

I'm based in the UK.
I'm on your same page and as such, (after Steve - MBenzNL) installed my AMG bodykit, installed some "black decal" onto that section as shown in pics above. The decal I used was the "non-stick" black 3M decal that is used to anti-skid a section of a floor. The reason I used this was to closely simulate the "textured" finish on that plastic piece that comes with the E, CLS, etc classses. I thought that the smooth/glossy black decal would be to shinny as on all the other classes they are somewhat flat black with sometype of texture. I also figured, better to try it out with something temporary than spending money painting it and not looking good.

So far it looks great and holding up to the Chicago weather. I'll have to try to take a pic and post here. My suggestion, try sometype of decal before you actually decide to paint it.

PS. I looked at various alternatives and unfortunately that black plastic piece that fits on the c coupe or E class wont' fit the W203 sedan.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
I thought that thing was a mesh wire instead of solid plastic in black.
I know for sure that's the case with SL65
Old 11-02-2005, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by IL230K
I'm on your same page and as such, (after Steve - MBenzNL) installed my AMG bodykit, installed some "black decal" onto that section as shown in pics above. The decal I used was the "non-stick" black 3M decal that is used to anti-skid a section of a floor. The reason I used this was to closely simulate the "textured" finish on that plastic piece that comes with the E, CLS, etc classses. I thought that the smooth/glossy black decal would be to shinny as on all the other classes they are somewhat flat black with sometype of texture. I also figured, better to try it out with something temporary than spending money painting it and not looking good.

So far it looks great and holding up to the Chicago weather. I'll have to try to take a pic and post here. My suggestion, try sometype of decal before you actually decide to paint it.

PS. I looked at various alternatives and unfortunately that black plastic piece that fits on the c coupe or E class wont' fit the W203 sedan.
Excellent, looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Have you got any more details on the exact name of the 3M material that you used? I think I would prefer a decal to painting it. Secondly if it's holding up to the Chicago weather I'm sure it will be fine in the UK

By the way did you fit the decal yourself or did Steve do it?, I'd be worried about me cutting it out & applying it properley as I'm a bit of a perfectionist and hard to please
Old 11-03-2005, 02:11 PM

2004.5 230K
Black Accent

Here's a nice alternative to painting, just in case you need to go back to the original matching paint scheme. As mentioned, this is one of those 3M anti-skid tape about 4" wide (you'll need 2 strips but 4" goes pretty far so you won't seam since it's in the lowest part of bumper). I went with this since it give that "textured" look versus the glossy decal that you can easily get at a print shop. Sorry for the bad pics, camera phone version. Hope this helps some of you.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:07 PM

Thanks IL230K for posting the pics. It's a shame that there doesn't appear to be a diffuser / palstic panel that we can easily get. I thought about the part from the CL203 but as stated above it won't fit

Anyway I'll see what I can find, I may even try a shop that does van / vehicle lettering / signs. There are lots of custom vinyl places around these days that do graphics etc.

Cheers!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
IL230K, any problems around the exhaust since it gets pretty hot in that area ?
Thanks.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Almost a Member!

ML 500
Where do you buy this anti skid tape? Couldn't find it at Home Depot.

SM
Old 11-10-2005, 03:48 PM

2004.5 230K
No issues with exhaust as this "tape" if pretty strong/durable. I actually had to use some work gloves because of the tough texture. Because of the 'texture' is looks like an OEM 'plastic' piece as it is not glossy and gives that 3D texture look like the ones seen on the other AMG models.

I'll try to find the original box and get you a UPC or name of product.

Originally Posted by 360_iti
IL230K, any problems around the exhaust since it gets pretty hot in that area ?
Thanks.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:50 PM

2004.5 230K
Painted version

Here's a thread from the W203 link where someone had actually painted that section. Looks pretty good as well but more permanent.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/125529-black-accent-panel-amg-rear-bumpers.html