C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

One last question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Capri Blue C32
One last question

I posted this question on the W203 forum too. I found the information listed below on DIY ASP pulley installation. I'm looking at installing my ASP pulleys myself, but I still have 1 question though. I have the 3 pulleys, and know which ones to swap out for the crank and water pump. But which pulley is the 3rd, smaller one, and where is the one it replaces? I searched and can't find any pictures or description of the other pulley. I think it's the tensioner, but I'm not sure and I can't figure out which one it is by looking at the engine. It has no grooves, and I'd assume that the stock one it replaces also has no grooves but that could be wrong too. Can one of you guys help me? I have an '04 C32.

I promise not to ask anymore pulley questions after this one!!

Installing the ASP pulley on an '02 C230 w/Automatic Trans by yourself...

I decided to try installing the pulley by myself. It actually wasn't difficult at all. Since I have the automatic transmission, the engine can "free wheel" and not provide any resistance when trying to loosen the crank bolt. I was able to do the job without removing the under tray for the engine as well. This is what I did:

1) Using a T30 bit, I removed the coil pack cover.
2) I removed the connectors for all 4 coil packs (to prevent the engine from starting)
3) I used a 27mm deep socket on a 1/2" ratchet and put it up to the crank bolt.
4) I put a rag under the handle for the ratchet and let it lie on the lower radiator support
5) I used a 2x4" piece of wood to protect the radiator from the ratchet (if it decided to fly or break.)
6) I "bumped" the motor over using the starter motor to break-free the crank bolt.

Everything else was pretty straight forward. Tightening the bolt to ASP's recommended 85 lb-ft. required my torque wrench and the same technique of laying it against the lower radiator support. Worked like a charm!

Bob

P.S. Love that pulley! It makes the car much more lively!