C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C230 vs C32...huh?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bike
Originally Posted by cntlaw
Believe or not, I heard that my C55 costs 3 million HKD in Thailand.
( I paid USD105K )
LOL ... thats $385,742 USD for a C55 in Thailand.
I can buy a luxury condo here...glad I'm a US citizen now
Old 07-15-2005, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by skahung
LOL ... thats $385,742 USD for a C55 in Thailand.
I can buy a luxury condo here...glad I'm a US citizen now
bet i m kidding you ?
check out the thailand mb site
thailand mb
the top model C-class they sell is C230K , and theother model is C180K
any non official model is relying on non-official importers(dealers) and is subject to the horrifying government luxury car tax and a big big mark up.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:59 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
this topic again?? seriously who cares?

you can get the AMG kit for the W203 from the factory before AMG announced the C32. You can get AMG pkg for any MB models from the factory in fact. So they made it standard, it's great for the buyers! It also made our car even more of a sleeper!!
Old 08-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Almost a Member!

I actually think it made perfect sense!!!

Instead of asking why? Ask why not?
Because a restyle bumper and fender don't cost much (if anything at all) It does not us more material (if anything the AMG bumper has more opening saving materials) So instead of MB worrying about loosing 500 AMG C55s customers why not sell 20,000 more C230s or C320 with Sport packages?
I would say almost everyone is image conscious even the ones that think they need a C55 over a C320 or C230 but rarely do they use the car at full potential anyways. Same reason why people pick SUV over minivans. I thought it was nice of MB to let me have the aggressive look or just a nicer look to the car without paying that much more. While they're at it why not have the C55 engine build by robots rather than by hand and just stuff that car in a stripped C230??? That way we could have a C550 for $40,000.00 easily. I'd pay $8000 more for a V8 even if the engine didn't cost that much more for MB to make them.
For those of you that wonder why MB would do it? C55 is needed may not be for profit reasons but more for the brand image. The AMG look must be good for something. If there is no C55 around why would looking like a C55 mean anything to anyone? I'd run the company the same say if I am building the car. Look how well the 300C is doing and made people by the lesser engined 300 because they look like the big brother(even though I personally do not thing there is anything 300 has to offer other than the Hemi). However, without the Hemi engine helping set the image, would be car still do as well???? I really doubt it.

Yes, sometimes I feel the power does not go with the aggressive look, the stiff ride, and even the powerful brake but most of the time the power is enough and for someone who are willing to pay almost double for more power, good for them. If those C55 are worrying about or insecure about C230 looking like their ride, then they are the ones that care about the image not the C230 owners who can appreciate and feel secure about what they have. If you are a C55 owner enjoy what you have because other than the fuel and insurance cost, most C230 owner would rather have your car anyways.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG Black on Carlsson 1/6 EVO
Actually my C32 is A C230 Kompressor I just added the badges. Dont ask me to pop the hood you will see a metro engine.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:19 PM

'05 C55 Black/Black Lighting, Premium, NAV
Originally Posted by lewisliaw
I would say almost everyone is image conscious even the ones that think they need a C55 over a C320 or C230 but rarely do they use the car at full potential anyways.
You make some fine points but let me correct you on this one. You obviously have never driven a C55. I have had mine for 3 weeks now and I can not drive it enough. The difference between a c230k and C55 is night and day. I do not mind that MB makes the c230k with the AMG package. Good for them. Good for the people buying them. But there is no comparison between the 2 cars.

Recently on a long road trip to the beach as I am passing cars on the two lane road we were on, my friend looked over at me and said "This is the perfect blend of luxury and performance!! You are driving to the beach every time."

The C55 will never be confused with a c230k. All you have to so is pull up next to one and hear that low rumble and you will know the difference.

I love the C-class. All models. I used to have a 2002 C240.

Mez
Old 08-08-2005, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by lewisliaw
I would say almost everyone is image conscious even the ones that think they need a C55 over a C320 or C230 but rarely do they use the car at full potential anyways.
For those of you that wonder why MB would do it? C55 is needed may not be for profit reasons but more for the brand image.
Yes, that makes sense. At least , Number 55 denotes two things

1. Top of the class AMG logo
( SL55, CL55, E55 are immediately recognised being the very few individual who love to drive fast and can afford a brand machine to do that !)

2. AMG denotes Racing engine power for fanatic wants max. driving fun

I would say, none of above offering from MB denotes 'uniqueness' and 'personalities'. What it translates to, is if we think we own a AMG and is unique, it is wrong. Numerous Examples:-

A CLS55 AMG costs 1.65 million HKD here ( USD 208K ). That is still not
unique enough until you can pay 3 million HKD for a IWC version of the CLS55 AMG. ( Or at least, here we have to add an extra 15K-20K for designo leathers and make the car fully loaded.

Read a Japanese car maganzine, it is not difficult to find a dozen of mod shops offering CLS55 21" wheels and customs spoliers. These are the places for ones who could throw money to make their cars look unique and with personalities. I am not one of those people though. :p

And, have we forgotten Barbaus and Carlsson ?

cnt
Old 08-08-2005, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
I totally agree with mez456. I also traded up from a 2002 C240 to a 2005 C55. To non-car enthusiasts, the C55 may just be another "baby benz". To anyone who likes european sports sedans, no one is going to confuse the C55's front end with a C230 sport sedan. Different shape, different bumper, different fog lamps, and different grill. Rear spoiler on the trunk and quad exhaust pipes also distinguish the C55 from lesser C-class cars.

Now, I do admit that the C230 sport sedan can be confused for a C32 more easily, purely from a visual perspective.

And to those who think that one cannot ever drive a C32/C55 to its full potential on the streets, I can only say one thing: on ramps and merging onto highways have never been more fun for me. It's one of the few places I can totally blast to the speed limit of 100km/h (62mph) with total impunity and absolutely no fear of police action. Afterall, there is no law against accelerating.....

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 08-08-2005 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:25 PM

2002 C32
Hey guys new to the Forum. I must say I hate driving and spotting what looks like a C32/C55 only to find out its just a 230. It bugs me more so because I have a C32 and the 230 almost mirrors it (visually only of course).
I guess its true in that it makes our C32/C55 more of a sleeper but still, it takes away from the uniqueness of the C32. I was considering buying the C230 until I drove and thought it drove like trash (compared to the C32). MB really turned thier backs on the C32 owners with the C230. Anyways, Its good to know that I can smoke the living hell out of a 230 and be more of a sleeper now.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:57 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Yeah.... across the Mercedes line up you can get a 'regular' mercedes to look like the AMG version. We who buy the AMG's want a the distinctiveness in both performance and visual appeal. thats why we pay the 15 to 20k premium. Why dont we just buy a regular mercedes with the AMG look and then go get the motor modded by Kleemann? I wish MB would truly make the AMG's exclusive. but money talks! At first it did bug me when a C230 would drive by my C32 looking totally identical. but thats just the way it is. Funny how the c230 drivers wont look my way or try to race me. (I guess they do know they have second fiddle).
Old 08-09-2005, 02:00 PM

bike
Guys...AMG only make Engines
Old 08-09-2005, 02:39 PM

2003 C32 AMG

true in a sense. but they have wheels specifically made for AMG. as well as their body kits, suspensions, interior enhancements, brakes, etc...
Old 08-09-2005, 03:29 PM

360 Spider
and transmissions, and brakes, and suspensions, and wheels, and exhaust systems, and gauge clusters, and seats, and steering wheels
Old 08-09-2005, 04:15 PM

2004 Capri Blue C32
Non-AMG people don't understand. "It's still a Mercedes" just doesn't make AMG owners feel any better. Imagine buying a house in a nice new neighborhood, and being one of the first people to have a great new style. It's far better than the other styles on your block, and your neigbors are almost envious of it. Now imagine that the homebuilders decide to offer a style, that is nearly identical outside to your house, to new homeowners, but at half the cost. All of a sudden, your style isn't unique anymore. Sure, the new owners will love the style and be glad to have it. But the original owners feel like they wasted a lot of money and the builders screwed them just to make money. Of course, inside your original house is still far better than the new style, but not many people get to see the inside, so most opinions are formed from looking at the outside. And from the outside, both houses look the same.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:20 PM

bike
All I'm trying to say is that a Real MB/Auto enthusiast will know the difference of an AMG C55 and a C230K, I drive a 05' C230K and my friend has a 05' C55...is like comparing Diamonds to Apples!

a lil off topic....if AMG "handmake" there engines, does every AMG car have a Sig or Certificate of the tech who build it???

Last edited by skahung; 08-09-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
To me, it is pretty interesting to know how people in the West hate seeing 'copy' of super cars :p What we see here locally, those people who put AMG spoliers , wheels and even quadro exhaust , are actualy a luxury and these are true big spenders! One thing quite common as I noticed from several extremely 'luxury' copy AMGs here; were the owners
do not take away the model number logo but add a AMG logo on back right side. e.g. I saw a E500 look like a E55 AMG ( 4 exhaust! ) but at the back logo still it is 'E500'. Similarly, the day I saw this absolute beautiful 'SLK AMG' (again with 4 exhaust and even 20" custom wheels - I thought "'shhhht' I had to race with a SLK55 , can I do that ?....." But when I followed closer , its logo is 'SLK350'. What it means, the owners do not intend to fake it and this is why they keep the model number logo. AMG is a style , a way of fashion and luxury. :p
Old 08-09-2005, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by J Irwan
looks again buddy....

those bumper are after market.

BMW treat their M model with special respect.. and unfortunately I don't feel AMG the same way. I think bottom line Daimler Benz/AMG only care about marketing and $$$ just to get more buyers as they trying to phase out W203.

too bad...

Regardz,

J Irwan
research BMW Performance Package.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:49 PM

2018 GLS63 AMG
My local MB dealership (Phillips) is selling the 2005 C230 sport with 6 speed manual for $28-30K depending on the options. It seems like a great buy to me, why buy a Camry XLE V6 or Accord V6 EX for $27K when you can get a Mercedes?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by leloz
It seems like a great buy to me, why buy a Camry XLE V6 or Accord V6 EX for $27K when you can get a Mercedes?
You are right. But be aware MB and BMW cars are not reliable as Toyota and Honda. We read a recent survey that Honda is being Number 1 most reliable car among the top ten. MB is ~8th/9th. BMW is not even on the top ten list.
What that calculates , will be a very big maintenance bill after the warranty period. I am sure many will agree with me.
cnt
Old 08-09-2005, 11:06 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by cntlaw
You are right. But be aware MB and BMW cars are not reliable as Toyota and Honda. We read a recent survey that Honda is being Number 1 most reliable car among the top ten. MB is ~8th/9th. BMW is not even on the top ten list.
What that calculates , will be a very big maintenance bill after the warranty period. I am sure many will agree with me.
cnt
I'm not a great fan of Toyota or Honda other than the Supra and NSX. I don't even like the S2k (interior's so cheaply made). Truth, they are more reliable during the period that they are covered under warranty. After the warranty expires just wait and see which car breaks down faster. One of my friend's got a 95-96 C220 and a 99 Camry V6. He told me he much rather driving the old W202 than the newr Camry because the C just drive soo much better and the Camry feels like it's losing power everyday unlike the MB. The only problem with his C is that the dashboard stopped working because of some faulty electric board. Another friend drives a 98 Camry which already had the engine rebuilt twice. The truth is that you will never know which car will cost more to maintain down the road, but in my experience European cars generally requires less maintainece after the warranty expires.

The problem with Japanese car is that they are usually overrated in the horsepower dept and their gas mileage. Say if they advertise the car having 240hp and can run on 87octane, but in fact when they run on 87 it feels powerless and when you had to fill up the tank w/ 91octane it totally defeats the idea of owning the car. My dad just leased a 05 Odyssey w/ NAV and everything...the car is pretty nice, but it drinks gas like no others business around 16mpg oppose to the advertised 23/28mpg (we had it for about 2 weeks now). My dad also said the van doesn't feel like it has 250hp running on 87octane it advertise and says eventually he's gonna have to put 91 octane in there which totally makes it pointless to get this car because he bought it to save gas vs the ML430 (which has crap load more power and has about the same mpg) he just returned for the lease.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:51 AM

05 c55
All I'm trying to say is that a Real MB/Auto enthusiast will know the difference of an AMG C55 and a C230K, I drive a 05' C230K and my friend has a 05' C55...is like comparing Diamonds to Apples!

a lil off topic....if AMG "handmake" there engines, does every AMG car have a Sig or Certificate of the tech who build it???
yes, the engine builder stamps his signature right on top of the engine. go to www.mercedes-amg.com and check out the engine building demonstration. you'll see what an AMG owner is paying for.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ///CLKfiftyfive
My friend just got the C230K sports sedan. The damn thing has the AMG kit, cross-drilled rotors, aluminum interior, sports exhaust All standard features for $30K !!!

What the **** is MB thinking? How could they pimp the C32 and almost the C55 this way? I think it is a joke. You can't tell the difference unless you really, really examine them. Can you imagine a 325Ci with an M3 kit, fenders, exhaust, etc.; BMW would never do that. Why did MB make all those exclusive features standard on such a cheap ride?
if you´re insterested in the looks it´s your problem, maybe you should check the performanceand not the looks
Old 09-23-2005, 06:56 PM

C230K-Sport Sedan
2003 C230K Sport Sedan

Originally Posted by Rareamg
Actually my C32 is A C230 Kompressor I just added the badges. Dont ask me to pop the hood you will see a metro engine.
I just bought a 03 C230 and Im wodering if the front bumber and rear bumber are amg. Im pretty sure the side skirts aren't but Rareamg's car looks like it has a full amg body kit.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by J Irwan
looks again buddy....

those bumper are after market.

BMW treat their M model with special respect.. and unfortunately I don't feel AMG the same way. I think bottom line Daimler Benz/AMG only care about marketing and $$$ just to get more buyers as they trying to phase out W203.

too bad...

Regardz,

J Irwan

Ain't that the truth.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by FrankW
I'm not a great fan of Toyota or Honda other than the Supra and NSX. ..............The problem with Japanese car is that they are usually overrated in the horsepower dept and their gas mileage..

Frank, guess that would mean the claimed hp of Japanese cars will still have a gap , as even Japanese car manufacturers are no longer restricted by the 280hp ceiling. I read that the top version of Evo 10 is going to be 350hp.
Personally, I felt Japanese cars are dying as the Korean cars are taking a big slice of the economy cars market. Unless, they really have to start to build some decent super cars. I read Honda will rebuild NSX. Toyota is probably comes up with some super giant as suceeding the Supra. IS 250/350 will be failures as who would pay a Eurpoean car price for a Toyota ( though they have recently rebranded it as in the name of Lexus in Japan ). :p e.g. a W204 230,280,350 V6 with 7G will be the IS 250/350's biggest enemy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C230 vs C32...huh?