C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

11 months 2004 C55 down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
It's mating season.... your car is flirting and her ears want to be kept opened even when you tell her to sleep j/k
Old 08-25-2005, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 177 Likes on 128 Posts
2025 AMG E 53 (on order); 2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2003 360 Modena
this sounds like the posting about Xenon: Present being set. I'm assuming they disconnected the battery to change the starter and wonder if the computer(s) lost some settings.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by kjb55
this sounds like the posting about Xenon: Present being set. I'm assuming they disconnected the battery to change the starter and wonder if the computer(s) lost some settings.
kjb
You spoke EXACTLY the thing that I trust it is ( except the service center did not explain to me like this; cause they did not want me to accuse them again that they did not follow a proper process after a battery is re-connected )
The folding mirror issue was definitely occuring right after the they returned my car; as obviously this was very easy to observe before&after because originally the mirrors will fold automatically after the car is locked.
The bi-xenon problem seemed to be an issue even before the starter down, except at earlier times, the blinkings was lasting only a very short period most of the times , it happened within 15 mins after the car started.
And, this problem was much worse two days back, when it happened continuously during a 20 km night drive on the highway!

I am aware that bi-xenon headlamps do send signals to the computer ; so their explanation about the signal processsing circuit seems to be accpetable. However, I am not sure why the feature 'Automatic folding side mirrors after car locked' has to do with signals processing. Anyhow, at present, the mirrors still fold by pressing the folding button manually.

Last edited by cntlaw; 08-25-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG (Capri Blue)
Originally Posted by cntlaw
05C55
Finally I am not sure how someone would take this - " a component failure" - this can cause life and dead - if we are talking about a 367hp AMG race car driving at 200km/h !
Reading this thread, one thing has become obvious. You know nothing about cars. First of all, the C55 is not a race car. It's a passenger vehicle. The part that failed was the starter, an electronic solenoid used to turn the engine over allowing for the combustion process to begin. I don't care how fast your going, unless it's 0km/h, you're starter won't cause you a problem. If your car was built in South Africa or the dark side of the moon, MB would have used the same supplier for the starter motor.

Now, all you need to do is learn how to vote in your country so that the taxes aren't so high. Does your government subsidize free Rolex's for everyone?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by AgentQ
Reading this thread, one thing has become obvious. You know nothing about cars. First of all, the C55 is not a race car. It's a passenger vehicle. The part that failed was the starter, an electronic solenoid used to turn the engine over allowing for the combustion process to begin. I don't care how fast your going, unless it's 0km/h, you're starter won't cause you a problem. If your car was built in South Africa or the dark side of the moon, MB would have used the same supplier for the starter motor.

Now, all you need to do is learn how to vote in your country so that the taxes aren't so high. Does your government subsidize free Rolex's for everyone?

When I paid my check for a C55, I did not give one fart what is a starter and what is there for and how does it work. Neither I gave a fart to the signal processsing circuit controlling the headlamps, the rain wiper.
(I wonder anyone did give a fart about these)

The issues were very clear that all above failed me and costed down times of MY CAR.

As a result of a starter failure, that costed me six days down time ( half a day fixing a wiper at 5th day after the car on the ground.) And, I love someone like you telling me that not able to start my car are not really problems.

Now, the Bi-xenon problem means that if MB does not fix this problem quickly, I would even be taking a risk to drive this car at night if those faulty headlamp starts blinking to a police car in front of me.

Since it sounds you know so much about cars I would love to hear more about your theory about the C55 is not a race car. It's a passenger vehicle. - because not until I have heard your big theory, I did not realize I were just a lucky 12 year old happened to drive my daddy's C55.

As a matter of fact, the CEO of MB was just fired because of reliability of car eletronics.

Can you please also tell us more as why Rolexes have got to do with a C55 starter failure?

cnt
Old 09-28-2005, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
List OF Major Problems asof 13th month

Major Problems and fixes.

1. Serious rattlings over bumps still occur at front of driver side.
=== The rattling in the dash finally fixed ' but then created anotherr minor rattling in the A pillar.
2. Side Mirrors not folding after locked car. Folding not smoothly and noisy.
=== Signal processing circuit replaced. Folding mirrors motors replaced with new.
3. Right side(driver side) Headlamp turned off intermittently
====Signal processing circuit replaced. One Bi-Xenon headlamp completely replaced.
4. Driver side door rattling noise when window is opening/closing
===== Fixed. Parts Replaced
5. Black layer under the hood torn out
==== Replaced with new
6. Auto Light sometime does not turn off even under bright light
==== As claimed by dealer . this problem was because of the signal processing affected the BiXenon's sensors
7. Front Bumper fitting position appears to be dis-located (driver side) observed at some instants. (Expect to check and confirm it is normal )
==== inspected and slightly adjusted.
8. Front seats rattlings
=== fixed by dealer
Old 09-28-2005, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
... (I wonder anyone did give a fart about these) ...
I gave a fart about these. In fact, I fart all the time.

Yes, it is frustrating and yes, cars should be more reliable. However, I did not have one failure in the (almost) 1-yr I owned my C55. It could happen with any brand. Perhaps you would be more happy owning an M3 with spun bearings. Talk about downtime and invasive surgery! Be careful about jumping from the frying pan ... to another fire. However, if you are that miserable, perhaps a brand switch is just what the doctor would order.

Rgds,
Norm
Old 09-28-2005, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Interesting thread....

Knock on wood, but my C55 has been flawless since the day I took delivery in mid February. I understand the frustration as I have had similar cars in the past with the same level of problems etc.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
Interesting thread....

Knock on wood, but my C55 has been flawless since the day I took delivery in mid February. I understand the frustration as I have had similar cars in the past with the same level of problems etc.

Touch wood. Do banging and shouting. Or the dealer won't fix anything for you. I am surprised to know you did not even encounter the W203 transmission oil leaking issue ?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by noka
I, I did not have one failure in the (almost) 1-yr I owned my C55. It could happen with any brand. Perhaps you would be more happy owning an M3 with spun bearings. Talk about downtime and invasive surgery! Be careful about jumping from the frying pan ... to another fire. However, if you are that miserable, perhaps a brand switch is just what the doctor would order.

Rgds,
Norm

Understood. The starter failure was the only 'forced downtime'. Other eletronic problems still lead to "downtimes" but the serrvice can at least be scheduled. Some people have totally ignore the fact that , our warranty expires in 2 years; and every fault will go to your own account damn.

So I did .
Just ordered a 2006 E90 and that will replace the W203.
If I feel like driving something nasty, the Z4 coupe will be fun.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
... the Z4 coupe will be fun.
Maybe wait for the "M" version.

Rgds,
Norm
Old 09-29-2005, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by noka
Maybe wait for the "M" version.

Rgds,
Norm

The good thing to get the E90 330i now is , I will never want to get the same car again just for a bigger engine and stiffer suspension. We dont hav enough roads here to drive the 367hp C55 hard enough ; and the 410hp M3 E90 is excessive. After all, sedan is sedan, who really cares what is that engine inside plus a few logos. I probably go for a Boxster without S for a complete style change.

cnt
Old 09-29-2005, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
I probably go for a Boxster without S for a complete style change.
why not a Cayman ? I think it looks better than a Boxster
Attached Thumbnails 11 months 2004 C55 down-cayman_s.jpg  
Old 09-29-2005, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
The good thing to get the E90 330i now is , I will never want to get the same car again just for a bigger engine and stiffer suspension. We dont hav enough roads here to drive the 367hp C55 hard enough ; and the 410hp M3 E90 is excessive. After all, sedan is sedan, who really cares what is that engine inside plus a few logos. I probably go for a Boxster without S for a complete style change.

cnt
if you don't care about "bigger engine" than why didn't you get a C320 instead of the C55? sounds to me you're contradicting yourself
Old 09-29-2005, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by jtc55
if you don't care about "bigger engine" than why didn't you get a C320 instead of the C55? sounds to me you're contradicting yourself
Right. I dont care now because I know what it is like already :p
I have no one to race with here. We dont have tracks etc.
That is why I am getting a E90 330i instead and will exchange the C55 with a sporty looking fun car e.g. Boxter.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by mick1
why not a Cayman ? I think it looks better than a Boxster
yes, it probably does. Thta is one million HK$ here
and guess I can live with a poor man s porshce such as boxster without S :p
Old 10-01-2005, 05:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
This is a very long thread. I understand your feelings concerning the breakdown of your C55 on the 7th floor of a car park. The starter is an electric motor that moves a gear in contact with the flywheel to turn the engine crankshaft. I am not sure that the South African assembly point is the fault because I doubt the starter is made in RSA. The starter is probably made by Bosch, and possibly made in Europe. The question is really what caused the starter to not work. So often the real reason for the failure, to a particular component, is never found. The whole assembly is just changed, praying that the bad part is changed. I have a problem with that solution. It certainly is fast for the workshop, but no one can say that a NEW part is better than the one it is replacing. The one in your car might have a repairable fault, and when fixed, serve the vehicle for the rest of its life. The new starter has never been used, and as with any electromechanical device might fail early in life.

It is true that a series of cars from RSA had a defective battery in the car. Those cars have been identiifed, and a simple search of the VIN would reveal if the car had that battery.

The way your situation was handled is unexcusable. Zung Fu should lose lots of face for not testing the battery with the Midtronics tester as specified in the WIS. The tester almost instantly can determine the "health" of a battery. Simply removing and replacing the battery cables can cause damage to the CAN modules, which control the lights and mirrors. Many technicians disconnect the rear CAN module before replacing the battery.

It is a shame that the FRT (first registration tax) is so high in the SAR. It is a bit less than half the price of the C55. That is the reason that the value of HK cars depreciate so fast. The weather is another significant factor causing rapid deterioration. Changing your car would expose you to the FRT all over again, and the BMW and Porsche you are considering use a starter made by Bosch!

Zung Fu should be providing you free alternate transportation whilst yours is being repaired, because they are probably at fault for the problems encountered after the starter was changed. I am not talking about a HK$ 200 Octopus card either, they should give you a car to drive.

In additon, they should give some compensation for your loss of face with your family. A LV handbag, Cartier watch or the like for your wife would be a nice expression of their goodwill.

You also spoke about the quality problems at Mercedes, and that the CEO was sacked. That man actually solved a good deal of the quality problems, after he was assigned the job by the DaimlerChrysler CEO. Since The DC CEO is retiring, the new CEO has placed his choice in charge of the Mercedes Car group, partly as a reward for his outstanding results with the Chrysler brand. One of the first things he did was sack 8,000 workers at the Mercedes car group. Sent the share price soaring!

There are a couple of places in HK to open the throttle a bit. Clearwater Bay Road is a nice place to get fast, but watchout for the radar trap in the roundabout near the University. There was a bunch allowing hot laps on the old runway at Kai Tak, but I don't know if that is still on. If you have dual registration and can cross at Shenzhen, the road to Guanzhou is so much fun! Take some RMB for the 'white dogs' (police) if you get stopped.

Good Luck to you.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by Moviela
This is a very long thread. I understand your feelings concerning the breakdown of your C55 on the 7th floor of a car park. The starter is an electric motor that moves a gear in contact with the flywheel to turn the engine crankshaft. I am not sure that the South African assembly point is the fault because I doubt the starter is made in RSA. The starter is probably made by Bosch, and possibly made in Europe. The question is really what caused the starter to not work. So often the real reason for the failure, to a particular component, is never found. The whole assembly is just changed, praying that the bad part is changed. I have a problem with that solution. It certainly is fast for the workshop, but no one can say that a NEW part is better than the one it is replacing. The one in your car might have a repairable fault, and when fixed, serve the vehicle for the rest of its life. The new starter has never been used, and as with any electromechanical device might fail early in life.

It is true that a series of cars from RSA had a defective battery in the car. Those cars have been identiifed, and a simple search of the VIN would reveal if the car had that battery.

The way your situation was handled is unexcusable. Zung Fu should lose lots of face for not testing the battery with the Midtronics tester as specified in the WIS. The tester almost instantly can determine the "health" of a battery. Simply removing and replacing the battery cables can cause damage to the CAN modules, which control the lights and mirrors. Many technicians disconnect the rear CAN module before replacing the battery.

It is a shame that the FRT (first registration tax) is so high in the SAR. It is a bit less than half the price of the C55. That is the reason that the value of HK cars depreciate so fast. The weather is another significant factor causing rapid deterioration. Changing your car would expose you to the FRT all over again, and the BMW and Porsche you are considering use a starter made by Bosch!

Zung Fu should be providing you free alternate transportation whilst yours is being repaired, because they are probably at fault for the problems encountered after the starter was changed. I am not talking about a HK$ 200 Octopus card either, they should give you a car to drive.

In additon, they should give some compensation for your loss of face with your family. A LV handbag, Cartier watch or the like for your wife would be a nice expression of their goodwill.

You also spoke about the quality problems at Mercedes, and that the CEO was sacked. That man actually solved a good deal of the quality problems, after he was assigned the job by the DaimlerChrysler CEO. Since The DC CEO is retiring, the new CEO has placed his choice in charge of the Mercedes Car group, partly as a reward for his outstanding results with the Chrysler brand. One of the first things he did was sack 8,000 workers at the Mercedes car group. Sent the share price soaring!

There are a couple of places in HK to open the throttle a bit. Clearwater Bay Road is a nice place to get fast, but watchout for the radar trap in the roundabout near the University. There was a bunch allowing hot laps on the old runway at Kai Tak, but I don't know if that is still on. If you have dual registration and can cross at Shenzhen, the road to Guanzhou is so much fun! Take some RMB for the 'white dogs' (police) if you get stopped.

Good Luck to you.

Moviela

My deep appreciation for your time and the information which you have
correctly pointed out the whole issue. An issue which some people here do not see its severity.

From what you said about the service man replacing the battery on the spot without knowing it was in fact the starter's problem; that is exactly aligning to my guess that they had instantly screwed the "signal circuit" ( CAN module ). Because, when I got my car back, the bixenon blinking problem, the mirror not folding problem all shown up.

A big lesson to Zung Fu and all service industries in HK, efficiency does cost.

Many thanks.

cnt
p.s. I am sending your letter to Mercedes China again. They should feel asham and I want my LV bags or Cartier pens.