C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Should I be scared of this C32?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I be scared of this C32?

I found this car for my parents (for them, not me) and had them look at it. They put down a deposit immediately. They said it drove great, had a clean carfax, and the only problem is that the hood has been replaced from a minor accident. $29K seems like a good deal for this car when compared to NADA.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...g=en&cardist=0

Take a look at that listing and tell me, should I be concerned about the grill? Actually I am not so concerned about the aftermarket grill as I am with the lack of a hood ornament or any badge. I thought all sedan hoods would have a hole for the ornament, no? Why doesn't this car have one, and should I be scared that it's some sort of knockoff hood? I'm inclined to think the previous owner had the ornament 'shaved' because I have to believe that even a cheap imitation part would have the hole for the ornament...

Let me know what you guys think... they pick up the car tomorrow so time is short... thanks in advance.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by osunick
I found this car for my parents (for them, not me) and had them look at it. They put down a deposit immediately. They said it drove great, had a clean carfax, and the only problem is that the hood has been replaced from a minor accident. $29K seems like a good deal for this car when compared to NADA.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...g=en&cardist=0

Take a look at that listing and tell me, should I be concerned about the grill? Actually I am not so concerned about the aftermarket grill as I am with the lack of a hood ornament or any badge. I thought all sedan hoods would have a hole for the ornament, no? Why doesn't this car have one, and should I be scared that it's some sort of knockoff hood? I'm inclined to think the previous owner had the ornament 'shaved' because I have to believe that even a cheap imitation part would have the hole for the ornament...

Let me know what you guys think... they pick up the car tomorrow so time is short... thanks in advance.
Well i am going to go out on a limb here but i think this car used to belong to a forum user. He was a great guy and used the car for some track days as well. Search around for NormC32 (I think -- his name is not fresh on my tongue so if I am wrong I am very sorry norm!). But this guy in question did have a C32 is that color (which was rare) and he did have the hood re-painted to fill in he hole for the star. I dont think the car was ever in a wreck so I would not be worried at all. If I am correct about who this car used to belong to he was a great driver so doubt he crashed it!

I would buy it and it is really a cheap price too. That color is really rare and looks great.

Have a great day!

Edit:

I just re-read the add and that car DID belong to NormC32. He traded his car in for a CTS-V because he wanted a car with a manual trans and that is exactly what the ad for this C32 said. He did use the car for a good number of track days but he did drive very well and never abused the car in any way. He had red seats as well so I doubt this is all just happen chance. It is his car!

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 08-03-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
I personally didn't see anything wrong with the car. I would ask them to provide more info on the hood as to where they got it from, when, etc. And then investigate whether it was some cheapo or oem. If you like the color, that would be great.
It has navi already .. thats cool. Don't be too concerned about the grille.. you could always buy a new oem for what.. 150-200 ? The missing emblem hole is a bit questionable.. all MBs should have one. Just fyi, a friend of mine has been bugging me to flush it.. so to let u know that there are some people out there who don't mind not having a hood emblem. Cleaner look they said. To me, it would feel that something is missing .. like not having a belly button.. lol
good luck !

PS: sorry I was in the middle of typing when cyncarvin posted his response.. so anyway, there u go. Go get it.

Last edited by 360_iti; 08-03-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:52 PM

That's great! I'm a track driver myself and I know that serious drivers take serious care of their cars. I've taken my Evo 8 to Mid-Ohio, Gingerman, and TWS and had a blast at all three. I wouldn't consider myself a great driver but hey, at least I'm doing it away from public roads...
Old 08-03-2005, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
r u a buckeye ?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:57 PM

Indeed I am. Living in Detroit at the moment but about to move to Northern California.

About that grill, i'm not crazy about it but really the only time I'd be driving the C32 is borrowing it for track days so it's no big deal. I do agree that something looks missing, if it had the large star in the grill it should at least have the flat badge on top. Anyone know of a flat badge that is adhesive instead of bolt on? I suppose I could just buy a plastic one and dremel off the pegs but why bother if there's a better solution...