Greenfilter & K&N Improvement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 500
Greenfilter & K&N Improvement

I was on the phone with Renntech and asked them about the greenfilters & K&N.

Renntech said the filters do allow more air flow, but, would not affect performance at all because the air flow that enters the engine would still be the same as the stock filters.

In other words, unless the flow to the engine is increased (another mod), the greenfilters/K&N would do nothing to improve flow.

Any thoughts here?

SM
Old 08-13-2005, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by smjjpres

Renntech said the filters do allow more air flow, but, would not affect performance at all because the air flow that enters the engine would still be the same as the stock filters.

In other words, unless the flow to the engine is increased (another mod), the greenfilters/K&N would do nothing to improve flow.

Any thoughts here?

SM
The AMG stock software and MAP data will add more fuel if more airflow is registered; hence, if you add a pulley and increase airflow demand from the compressor end, the metered airflow will get fuel added from the ECM parameters. Now, if someone adds a pulley, by Renntech's stated argument, they would get no gains. We know this to be false by people posting before and after track times in multiple instances. If they are saying that the filters produce more airflow, then MAP compensation is a given since the mapping parameters in the ECM with stock programming will always add enough fuel to mantain the desired A/F ratio of the mapping. It seems the post itself contradicts itself.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

For definition's sake.

MAP - manifold-absolute-pressure (also known as speed-density) measurements combine simplicity in sensor design with the power of digital microprocessors to compute a simulated volume-air-fow signal that is sent to the stock computer.

These are not similar to say a MAF which has a heated wire to measure airflow that is susceptible to getting coated by oil particles from the aftermarket filters, hence giving false signal input. ie: My E500 uses MAF technology, whereas my C32 uses MAP technology.

The benefits of MAP is if more flow (volume at speed) is sent through the MAP, the signal to the ECM requires more fuel added to the combustion air/fuel mix.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
Originally Posted by smjjpres

Any thoughts here?

SM
I must disagree I have just installed Green filters on my C32 and the trottle response is a lot better. in my opinion there is a big difference between stock filters and green filters.