C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Akebono Euro pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG
Akebono Euro pads

So the warning message came on my dash to "replace brake pads".

I didnt want OEM pads. they emit too much brake dust. I went on tirerack, and they got these new ceramic pads by Akebono. Never heard of them, but I thought Id give them a shot. I replaced the front and rears for my C32. I gotta assume these will have less dust and better bite than the OEMs. the price was also very good. 157.00 shipped to my door.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Really? I know that Akebonos have had a good reputation with JDM brake upgrades, but I'm not sure about Euros.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
I hate to hi-jack this thread, but this is the most recent and relevant thread for my question.

For those of you who have already replaced their brake pads, I'm contemplating which pads to get next. I've been running on OEM pads for the past 1.5 years (~19k miles) and I can tell they are close to the end (even though my warning has not come up yet).

I've got some questions:

1) Since I have a 2004.5, it's my understanding that I've got the C32 brake calipers (4 piston) and from what I've read in different threads, a lot of people have upgraded to Porterfield RS-4 pads? Is that right? For those of you who have done it, is the braking power and brake dust that much more obvious from the C32 AMG pads (i.e. more braking power, longer life, less dust)? Does that mean that my rear brakes are also the AMG brakes (w/o the logo)?

2) Do the rotors need to be resurfaced? If so, is that possible to do with the stock front rotors being cross-drilled? From what I've read in other threads, some people have, but I can't tell if that is for the stock non-cross drilled rotors or if there are actually people that have re-surfaced the cross-drilled rotors. I've also seen that people have replaced their rotors everytime they get new pads (but I know that's a common mis-conception as "necessity").

It seems that the following brands are available for choices Porterfield, Pagid, Akebono and Hawk (?) ? Any help would be great.

TIA - Drex

Last edited by drexappeal; 09-07-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
another question to add to drexappeal's post:

Do the porterfield's squeek? I had a set on my BMW, and they made some horrible sqeeks, but stopped wonderfully. Any experience with MB applications?
Old 09-07-2005, 05:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by drexappeal
I hate to hi-jack this thread, but this is the most recent and relevant thread for my question.

For those of you who have already replaced their brake pads, I'm contemplating which pads to get next. I've been running on OEM pads for the past 1.5 years (~19k miles) and I can tell they are close to the end (even though my warning has not come up yet).

I've got some questions:

1) Since I have a 2004.5, it's my understanding that I've got the C32 brake calipers (4 piston) and from what I've read in different threads, a lot of people have upgraded to Porterfield RS-4 pads? Is that right? For those of you who have done it, is the braking power and brake dust that much more obvious from the C32 AMG pads (i.e. more braking power, longer life, less dust)? Does that mean that my rear brakes are also the AMG brakes (w/o the logo)?

2) Do the Calipers need to be resurfaced? If so, is that possible to do with the stock front rotors being cross-drilled? From what I've read in other threads, some people have, but I can't tell if that is for the stock non-cross drilled rotors or if there are actually people that have re-surfaced the cross-drilled rotors. I've also seen that people have replaced their rotors everytime they get new pads (but I know that's a common mis-conception as "necessity").

It seems that the following brands are available for choices Porterfield, Pagid, Akebono and Hawk (?) ? Any help would be great.

TIA - Drex
Drex, to answer your questions;
1. I just swapped my 05 out for the AMG kit and using RS-4 pads with Stoptech lines. They havent squeak in normal operation, but i do noticed a slight hissing in the morning during warm up. It seems that these pads create less dust. your rear brakes arent the AMG setup, you have a solid non vented rear disc, C32/C55 have a larger rear vented setup.

2. Pending on how many miles you have, most likely you have to replace the rotors as well, I know that most shops do not recommend resurfacing xdrilled rotors (it can be done but not a good idea). You do not need to do any thing to your calipers beside giving it a good cleaning.

hope that helps.

Last edited by 1Lop2K5C; 09-07-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by 1Lop2K5C
Drex, to answer your questions;
2. Pending on how many miles you have, most likely you have to replace the rotors as well, I know that most shops do not recommend resurfacing xdrilled rotors (it can be done but not a good idea). You do not need to do any thing to your calipers beside giving it a good cleaning.

hope that helps.
Thanks for the info, 1Lop2K5C. My bad. I meant rotors (not calipers). Didn't read my post over before I submitted.

Now, that being said, am I assuming that I'll be getting 4 new rotors w/ pads and 4 new sensors? From what others have posted, the $ comes out to anywhere from $200 - $500 including install (depending on what gets done).

If it's necessary (as far as MB's are concerned) to get new rotors, then I might as well upgrade the rear brakes too...hmmm, guess I'll have to decide soon.