C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

What does ESP really do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32
Originally Posted by Expat
The rear tires aren't new but there not near to the wear limit, I may need to replace them with better tires (e.g. PS2s) as a side note ESP seems to be doing a better job when I accelerate in a straight line so maybe the problem is really ESP + turning/corner + acceleration but this is where I expected it to make an intelligent difference rather than just cutting engine power.
So I've replaced the rear tires and it's made a huge difference, turns out they were at the wear limit on the inside (not visible) part of the tires, not cheap but a big improvement.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:50 AM

C240
slightly question over here.

If my esp error is on in the dash and the front right, front left and sometimes both tires feel like the brake is engaging randomly while accelerating or coasting. what type of sensor could be bad on that?

new tires,
new brakes and wear sensors
brakes flushed and bled
dry road conditions
and im not driving crazy to where they should be engaging.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C55 black on black aka DVS C55, 2007 C230 sport silver on black for the boss
Originally Posted by Rvp1991

If my esp error is on in the dash and the front right, front left and sometimes both tires feel like the brake is engaging randomly while accelerating or coasting. what type of sensor could be bad on that?

Double check the connections in the wheel wells that go to the wheel sensors.

Stop by an auto parts store such as AutoZone, Advanced, etc to see if they can pull a code. (free)

Just ESP warning? Does it also show ABS, etc?

It could be the wheel sensors that work with the ABS, ESP. Another member had his go bad and it knocked all systems out. Don't recall him noting funny or odd braking...

My ideas to start with....

Last edited by EDgineered; 08-02-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:49 AM

C240
Originally Posted by EDgineered
Double check the connections in the wheel wells that go to the wheel sensors.

Stop by an auto parts store such as AutoZone, Advanced, etc to see if they can pull a code. (free)

Just ESP warning? Does it also show ABS, etc?

It could be the wheel sensors that work with the ABS, ESP. Another member had his go bad and it knocked all systems out. Don't recall him noting funny or odd braking...

My ideas to start with....

I have taken it to the auto parts store but they can only read the engine codes. The esp light was on, then when the wheel sensors were cleaned off the BAS and brake light came on. After replacing the front brakes and the brake wear sensor the bas and brake lights went off but the ESP has stayed. Made sure the brake fluid was clean and there is no air in the line and it's gotten better but still does it. I just have been trying to troubleshoot it as much as I can before I have to take it to the dealership and have to pay them over 100$ To pull a freakin code! But I've gotten some great info to be able to look into the issue a little more before I give up and have someone pull the code! Thanks!
Old 08-04-2014, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
One of your wheel speed sensors could be bad. I had my front right speed sensor go bad and it threw the ESP/ABS warning on the center of the dash. Replaced it and it was fine.

I am 99% sure that is your problem; what I am not sure of is which wheel you find out is the problem without a STAR computer (that's how I figured out it was front right with a friend who has the software). Maybe is there is some way to use a DMM, but I would have no idea how to do that.

I don't think this would be the problem, but the other component to the wheel speed sensor is the radial sealing ring at the back of the wheel hub. The seal ring is in itself a magnetized ring that the wheel speed sensor faces directly at and gets a reading off of for the wheel speed. You have to replace it if you replace a front wheel bearing and if you do, you have to install it properly because they are very sensitive. If you use something metal to "press" it back into the hub it won't work (I know this from experience b/c I replaced my wheel bearing and tapped mine in, got the warning, got another ring and used a square block of wood between the hammer and ring to press it back in and it solved the problem).

But like Ed said, I didn't ever notice any funny braking, my ESP just didn't work at all when the sensor was bad (talk about burn out central )