C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Need Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice

I am new to the forum, and have already learned a ton about these cars from you folks. Now I need some advice.

Since I turned 40 last year, I think it is about time for my mid-life crisis (yet I still have to schlep the kids to soccer practice). So, I am contemplating trading in the Avalon and purchasing a C55 AMG in the Baltimore/Washington area. That way I can haul butt and get the kids to practice.

I have some questions for you experts, though.

(1) A number of friends of mine have complained about quality control and reliablilty issues with the C series. Since AMG basically reworks the vehicle from top to bottom, have you found that the AMG vehicles are more reliable than the regular Mercedes?

(2) I tend to be a "drive the wheels off the car" type purchaser. I know this is nerdy, but, hey, I've got two kids in school. Do you think the C55 is the sort of car I can own for 7-8 years and put around 100k miles on it? Or, am I being naive? The wife says I'm nuts. I figure an extended warranty will do the trick. But, the question is, am I going to need to make a ton of warranty claims after the car crosses the 50k mile threshold?

(3) Are there any Mercedes dealers in the Balt./Wash. area that any of you have had problems with and, therefore, I should avoid?

(4) I've seen some invoice and MSRP talk on the board, but most of those address Cal. and other places. In this area, inventory of the C55 seems low. What have you folks found about pricing around Balt. and Washington?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63
The quality issues are a big concern - they were with me. Mercedes did have problems with quality control on the C series but these have largely been addressed. Moreover, the AMG cars all seem to be pretty good regarding quality. I am obsessive about quality issues since I prepare my cars for local show competition. (I don't even wear shoes in my cars).

Anyway, the quality of my C55 is first rate. I have found exactly one flaw on my C55 - a small scratch 2mm long on a piece of trim - pretty darn good. One example of the quality is the paint. Mercedes now uses a special clear coat paint that uses interlocking mico particles that link as the paint drys. It results in a much harder surface than other current auto paint. The interior fit and finish is also excellent. It is the nicest interior of any car I have owned.

TEAShea
from Nebraska
Old 09-22-2005, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG 2002, C 63 AMG 2009
I have not had any major "Problems" with my 02 C32, which I purchased from a private owner. I too keep my cars for a long time. I still have my 1995 Accord that has over 138K miles. I was thinking about getting a C55 and trading in my C32. But I will keep it and once the C55s drop more in price then I'll get one. The AMGs are more realiable in my opinion.

Life is short, so go for it. The C55 is roomy enough for your daddy duties, plus you will look stylish, and classy puling-up to their activities. You should be in safe hands with an extended warranty
Old 09-22-2005, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Although many on this board would disagree, I think the reliability/quality issues is a major reason to consider getting the current W203 C55 rather than the future W204 C-AMG car. In the early 2001-2002 W203 C-class models, there were many electrical/reliability issues. Those problems have mostly been resolved in the later year models (2004-2006), such that I don't think there are many more "glitches" that haven't been fixed in the W203 series. Sure, it probably won't be reliable as a Lexus in the long term.

My 2 kids are a lot younger than yours, but the C55 makes for a very good (although bumpy) car that can take a family of 4 in relative comfort. Don't expect a huge trunk to carry your kids' sport equipment AND your golf clubs, because the C-class is NOT a large car. In terms of interior and trunk room, it's about the size of a Honda Civic. Interior materials are much improved compared to pre-2005 models. It feels very "rich" inside.

But it DRIVES like a dream. It accelerates very quickly from any speed (huge torque). It also handles surprisingly well (close but not quite at M3 levels). Basically, it's my sports car which can also transport my family. Not as harsh or loud as the M3 (which is good, IMO). Highly recommended.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Although many on this board would disagree, I think the reliability/quality issues is a major reason to consider getting the current W203 C55 rather than the future W204 C-AMG car. In the early 2001-2002 W203 C-class models, there were many electrical/reliability issues. Those problems have mostly been resolved in the later year models (2004-2006), such that I don't think there are many more "glitches" that haven't been fixed in the W203 series. Sure, it probably won't be reliable as a Lexus in the long term.

My 2 kids are a lot younger than yours, but the C55 makes for a very good (although bumpy) car that can take a family of 4 in relative comfort. Don't expect a huge trunk to carry your kids' sport equipment AND your golf clubs, because the C-class is NOT a large car. In terms of interior and trunk room, it's about the size of a Honda Civic. Interior materials are much improved compared to pre-2005 models. It feels very "rich" inside.

But it DRIVES like a dream. It accelerates very quickly from any speed (huge torque). It also handles surprisingly well (close but not quite at M3 levels). Basically, it's my sports car which can also transport my family. Not as harsh or loud as the M3 (which is good, IMO). Highly recommended.
i 2nd that and can't agree more!
Old 09-22-2005, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please, please, please do yourself a favor and get an extended warranty. Even if your Benz requires few repairs, each time the bill is like passing a kidney stone. I'm like you, and tend to keep cars I like for a long time. I thought I knew about expensive repairs, having owned a number of BMW's that aged with me (including my first, an 1989 325i that I put 250,000 miles on and sold still running/driving). I received a rude awakening when I went from my second 3-series BMW to my C32. Try $1500 to $6000 repair bills - I'm not kidding. Thank God for warranties!
Old 09-23-2005, 03:15 AM

C55
Dear ChucksterB,

I have a B/B C55 with all the options with 100k miles transferrable warranty and I love every moment in it; thrill never goes away. But, I am anticipating a job change that will require a major investment in a new venture, and so if you are interested in buying a pre-owned, let me know. I would love to talk to you off line; car is in flawless condition with chrome AMG wheels.

Blessings,

HPC55