Launching technique?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by m3_eater
I think you misunderstand me, cntlaw. I'm not attempting to humiliate anyone, and wouldn't take pleasure in doing so. I'm just expressing my frustration. When I'm out and about, I meet people who (until thay talk to me) assume that I'm some kind of stuck up yuppie who doesn't know how to drive my AMG Mercedes-Benz. Why are they like that? Because of every other M-B owner they met before me.

I was hoping when I bought this car that I was stepping into the realm of the knowledgeable, educated driving enthusiast - people who really know their cars and who arrived here after years of experience. Thinking that the hefty price surcharge of the AMG models over their more teutonic brethren worked like a filter, I had a fantasy of the AMG owner that just wasn't true (there are of course exceptions, and this forum is full of people who do seem to give a s--t). Point is, I think there ought to be a driving test before you can purchase one of these cars. it should include a demonstration of basic performance driving skills, such as launch techniques, up and downshifting techniques, trail braking, over/understeer management, etc - all related to a clear understanding of the definition of "contact patch". Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, and this forum provides some/all of that knowledge to the curious driver?
Thanks for explaining the background and intention.
I like the idea about an advanced driving lesson for powerful
car buyer. I had once thought that I love to receive some
private tutions from our local racers but never got to that yet.
Locally, we heard cases like young movie stars crashed
their new Ferrrari, rich couple was killed on his Ferrari in China....
People are driving faster and faster and some risk management
training surely makes life happier.
cheers
cnt
Old 10-04-2005, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
Dream On!! Most people that own AMG's have never turned a wrench in there lifetime. Only people with cheaper cars no how to work on them because they have too. They can't afford to pay someone else to do it, like some rich owner who can't even mow his own lawn or has to have a maid come in to clean his house.
I have a "cheap" Mitsu Evolution, an "expensive" AMG and a more "expensive" Ferrari Dino GTS.
I use the wrench a lot, like to install my own stereo, turbo boost controler, gauges, sensors... I can afford to pay someone but I enjoy doing it.
I don't have a lawn to mow, I let my maid clean my house, but she ain't touching my cars.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:11 PM

C32
Originally Posted by m3_eater
If so, is there a way to modify the shift point so that the signal to upshift comes earlier?
If you figure out a way to do it, let me know!
Old 03-19-2006, 05:13 AM

2005 Obsidian Black C230 Komp Sports Sedan, 2006 Iridium Silver ML350 SUV
so i powerbreak up to dunno how many RPM...w/ the ESP off...
and right when i go. i felt the rear spins a bit and about to lunch forward hard. but right then... the ESP (which i turned off right before) kicks in even when i turned it off and then it cuts off my fuel.. my friend thought i mis the gear cuz i basically stopped for like a second and then go....
i told him: dood, its automatic...and the stupid ESP f'ed me up i wish dyno mode could be as easy as a push of a button