C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Just got C55 & need help adding more base to the sound system.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 Brilliant Silver
Just got C55 & need help adding more base to the sound system.

Hi,

I just graduated from School and got my first real job. Dad gave me a C55 for graduation, and I am totally lost. The salesman told me not to upgrade the system because it will mess up the electronics. I love to listen to rap music and I need more base! He told me about this web site and said that you guys help out tons of people. Today I took it to the guy that did the system in my Audi A4 and he told me to leave it alone. He told me I could put a sub in the trunk, but I need that space to carry around the stuff for work.

Is there anything I can do?

Alexis
Old 10-08-2005, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG 2002, C 63 AMG 2009
Congrats on the car and completing "School". I ran into the same situation that you face. I wanted a stock C32, but I found a fully loaded one from a private owner that was too good to pass up. So now I hav eabout 10K retail audio stuff that I have not used. I did not want to take a chance on messing-up the car.

I am a true audiophile. Bass is the word for me, since I was stationed in Tampa for almost 8 years. My Accord bumps. I do not listen to any Bass music in my C32 because it just does not sound right There will
be more members chiming in on this topic who will be able to give you some "Sound" advice

Konichiwa, and enjoy your stay
Old 10-09-2005, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Congrats your new car!
If money is not issue, the pro will be able to convert your C55 into a rock arena. I am doubt that would screw up anything if done properly.
Good luck.
cnt
p.s. I am a music lover and audiophile, but I do not trust our local shops and worried they would screw up , so I have to live with whatever audio sound I have.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:48 AM

Stay tuned gentlemen, mine is on THEEEE way!....hehe
Old 10-09-2005, 01:42 AM

'14 428i M-Sport, '02 C32 AMG
congrats on the new car. there are ways to get around the fiber optics system, just make sure your installer is good. with a nice car like c55 you want to trust your installer. the install is just as important as the audio equipment itself. if you want stronger, cleaner bass, may i suggest looking into 2 10" JL W6V2 subwoofers powered by a JL 1000.1 Monoblock amplifier. powerful enough, but not earth-shaking and not muddy. aesthetically they are not the best, but not that bad. there are better setups, but for rap music, this setup has very good, strong, clean bass for reasonable pricing. and JL is a very reputable company for bass purposes. i was looking at the diamond audio subwoofers, but for good ones such as TDX series they are too expensive for me. i wish i got to look at Focal K2 11's. the C is a small car, so i don't think you want too powerful subwoofers, but i think a clean, simple, lively, and quality system would be fitting.

you may want to look into upgrading the component speakers as well, to avoid installation problems if you decide to upgrade these later. i personally demoed two pretty nice options: Diamond HEX and MBQuart Premiums. these are very good and not too expensive, once you get up to speakers like Focal Utopias or MBQuart Q-Series, it becomes very expensive. i personally liked the MBQuart Premiums, which are not too expensive but have good clarity and strong sound, lively. i wish i was able to check out the Focal K2 Spirits, which i think would be a very strong contender as well considering the type of music to which you listen. i would like to hear a complete K2 system...it is best to demo products firsthand and not just go off of paper reviews, because your auditory taste may be very different than someone else's. also, when pieceing together a system, you want to make an appointment for consultation to sit and discuss this with a local audio shop that you trust.

if you want an incredibly strong, well integrated, harmonious, clear system, check out Reus audio systems. they are not "boom-boom" systems, but for the discerning connessieur. a bit more expensive, but is so well put together.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:49 AM

c32
All I got when I graduated high school was a job. Damn generations are changing.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by ardy6931
All I got when I graduated high school was a job. Damn generations are changing.
that's not the worst , the worst is you will find that all you have got is still a job after 20+ years
Old 10-09-2005, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cntlaw
that's not the worst , the worst is you will find that all you have got is still a job after 20+ years
So very "True" work, work and then some more work
Old 10-09-2005, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
i dont think you will have a problem with just adding a sub to the car. i have 2 amps 2 subs in my car... and i added another optima battery to power it.

i am not sure why they said it will mess up the car, but... as long as you have an aftermarket head unit. your system will be bumping w/o a problem.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:47 PM

C 230K Coupé
Isn't the sound of a c55 enough? I wouldn't do anything to the car unless I'll be doing it with my own money. Getting a C55 and they asking for money for sound system is just way over the top for me...
Old 10-09-2005, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Since he has a "Job" now, I am sure that he will spring for the "Mods" himself
Old 10-10-2005, 01:16 PM

Upgrade sound system in C55

I just upgraded my system (front end) and it sound's amazing.
Front end is DynAudio......used the Dyn mid's but had to use a Memphis tweeter, the tweeter from the Dyn's would not fit. Next step is to add a amp to power the subs.....a couple of short throw 10" Eclipse. I feel the system is now under powered and will add my Clarion 4 channel amp to drive the Dyn's and sub's, this will be done in a couple of weeks. Will update you then. If you cannot wait goto Automotive Entertainment in Pasadena, speak to Mike, they really know what they are doing.........good luck.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Adding a nice 10" sub and powerful amp will not take up too much trunk space, and provide great bass, if done correctly. Just make sure the installer knows you are looking to maximize trunk space, because they often don't think of the trunk as useful space and would rather overdo it with a huge box. I had my sub box built thin and wide and have plenty of room left in my trunk. I listen primarily to hip-hop music and could not stand the wimpy bass from the so called "premium sound" BOSE system. I recommend JL Audio 10w3v2 sub.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:08 PM

NEW 08' M6 CAB, 06' 997 911 CS CAB, 09' RX350 AWD, 10' E350 4M, 10' Range Rover; FS: 04' C32 AMG= FS
more bass without a box

Originally Posted by Blake P
Adding a nice 10" sub and powerful amp will not take up too much trunk space, and provide great bass, if done correctly. Just make sure the installer knows you are looking to maximize trunk space, because they often don't think of the trunk as useful space and would rather overdo it with a huge box. I had my sub box built thin and wide and have plenty of room left in my trunk. I listen primarily to hip-hop music and could not stand the wimpy bass from the so called "premium sound" BOSE system. I recommend JL Audio 10w3v2 sub.
anyone know what i can do for a little more "thump - bass" without sacrificing any trunk space? has anyone added another sub-woofer parralel to the existing one? is it even possible --->& how?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Infinity makes a nice 10" amplified subwoofer that i added to my stck system.It sounds excellent with very good bass and will give good body to the stck sound systems al around sound.Plenty of room to spare in your trunk as well.I have one in my C55 now!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
Infinity makes a nice 10" amplified subwoofer that i added to my stck system.It sounds excellent with very good bass and will give good body to the stck sound systems al around sound.Plenty of room to spare in your trunk as well.I have one in my C55 now!
A picture says a thousand words...