C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

My car is wrecked.. What to do..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32
My car is wrecked.. What to do..

I was in a car accident a few days ago and need some help/opinions from anyone regarding my situation. The accident was definitely my fault. I was turning left out of a parking lot, and did not see the car coming on my side of the road. I am not hurt at all, and neither is the other driver. However, my car is in very bad shape. The front bumper has been torn off, and everything from the bumper up to the engine is gone. I have been told by the bodyshop the car was towed to that it would cost approximately $15,000 to repair the car.

Even before the accident, I was in the market for a new car and now it seems that may be my best option. I'm figuring that I take the $15,000, sell the remains of my car, and buy a new car. That would be the best case scenario as my car will not be worth $20,000 after it comes out of the body shop. (72,000 miles)

1. My question is, how does this process work?
2. Am I entitled to the amount of money needed to fix the car? Can I sell the remaining parts of my car, and if so to who and for how much?
3. How long the insurance company takes to send me a check?
4. Do I tell the inspector/adjuster that I just want to take the money? Or, do I need to come off as if I am going to fix the car?
5. Will the body shop charge me for the estimate and/or storage of my car? And if so, approximately how much?
5. Any other recommendations?

The inspector is coming out to check on the car on Monday, and I want to be as knowledgeble about the process as possible to find the best solution for this.

I would very much appreciate your help.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
well it depends on the insurance company how long it will take to fix it. if the damage is more than what the car is worth, then they will total your car and they will pay you what ever your car is worth or maybe less depends on how firm your are on what youthink the fair value of your car is, you might not have a check for 1 to 3 months it all depend on how good your insurance company is. good luck and hope your OK.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Your insurance company is out to save money, and has a whole bag of tricks to lo-ball your claim. Adjusters and attorneys work hard for the company, and are friendly on the surface, but very adverse to your interest.

The frame of your car has been damaged, and no amount of tugging and pulling will make it right. Figure on your car being totaled.

Storage can be from 10 to 30 a day, but you can claim it too, if the company delays your claim.

Since the amount is over 10,000, I would get my own dog in the fight, TODAY, by hiring a lawyer. A good attorney can negioiate for you, and will not be fooled by bluster and balooney of the company. You attorney will get more cash in your pocket than you will be able to get on your own. Life is just that way in California.

Don't ever admit to fault, until you have taken advice from your attorney. Even if it appears to be your fault, it might not be!

I am sorry your car got crunched. I hope you are not hurt in any way, and your new ride will be as sensational as the one you have now.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Dink,

Sorry to hear about your car, but glad to hear that you fared better than the plastic and metal.

Regarding what to do, call me or PM me. You probably do not need a lawyer for just a PD (property damage) claim, but I can give you some (free ) insights into how to maximize your recovery. My office has negotiated hundreds of vehicle settlements for our (personal injury) clients.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dink, I'm glad to hear that you are ok. Did one or more airbags deploy? I'm curious about what that is like in a C32.