C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Sold the C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 10:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche
Sold the C55

Well guys I was tired of the problems I had with the car so I decided to sell it. I had transmission connector issues twice and several electrical issues which were never resolved (despite my many visits to the dealership).... Apparently MB has cut their profits significantly to improve quality and I'm sure things will turn around for them.. Maybe in the future I'll be driving a C63 if they get their act back together. There were a lot of aspects I did enjoy about the C55 but so many problems on a relatively new car was unacceptable...
Eric...
Old 10-20-2005, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
These kinds of posts scare the heck outta me...

I've had my C55 since February and am yet to have a problem with it other than a speaker rattle.

Did you get a 6-speed in your S4? How does the acceleration compare? My buddy has the automatic and it's a total dog.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 C32 Black
Big mistake for MB to end their free maintenance program. I may switch back to BMW when I buy my next car for this reason.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KRob3
Big mistake for MB to end their free maintenance program. I may switch back to BMW when I buy my next car for this reason.
While I won't be switching to BMW, I agree with you. MB likes to tout themselves as the top luxury brand on the market...yet their service level is even with Nissan.

I'm betting it will come back within the next 3 to 5 years.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:04 PM

Porsche
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
These kinds of posts scare the heck outta me...

I've had my C55 since February and am yet to have a problem with it other than a speaker rattle.

Did you get a 6-speed in your S4? How does the acceleration compare? My buddy has the automatic and it's a total dog.

There's just no comparison when it comes to acceleration... The C55 blows the S4 away.. Mine is a tiptronic too.. The lease for the S4 expires in 27 months, so we'll see what's out in a couple years...
Eric...
Old 10-20-2005, 10:18 PM

ML350 '06
Yeah, I've had an electronic glitch that comes up from time to time. It happened this past Monday too. Sometimes I don't get any sound from my speakers. I try turning off/on the radio but this doesn't help. When I turn the car off and start it up again the sound comes through fine. This also affects the voice in the Navigation too. Annoying but it's really only happened 3 times in the last year I've owned it.

Nick
Old 10-20-2005, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by Nickerz
Yeah, I've had an electronic glitch that comes up from time to time. It happened this past Monday too. Sometimes I don't get any sound from my speakers. I try turning off/on the radio but this doesn't help. When I turn the car off and start it up again the sound comes through fine. This also affects the voice in the Navigation too. Annoying but it's really only happened 3 times in the last year I've owned it.

Nick
Interesting... I've had the same thing happen twice... weird. Not really a big deal for me though... wouldn't consider selling the car because of it. Screw the radio, I like hearing my mean *** exhaust. There are times that I turn the radio off just to listen to the exhaust. Guess that's one of the signs of a true enthusiast.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:46 PM

2006 BMW X5 4.8is and 2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by dragonAMG
Interesting... I've had the same thing happen twice... weird. Not really a big deal for me though... wouldn't consider selling the car because of it. Screw the radio, I like hearing my mean *** exhaust. There are times that I turn the radio off just to listen to the exhaust. Guess that's one of the signs of a true enthusiast.
Yeah I've had little glitches here and there. They are never repeatable. I have not had the stereo go out but I have seen stuff like the pass side rear view mirror won't tilt down when put in reverse, the rear driver side window if pushing auto up will go all the way up and then go half way back down, all the doors won't unlock when exiting the car and a static sound coming from the speakers. All these problems went away after I turned off the car and started it again they also have all only occurred once except for the door locking glitch. These problems will never lead me to sell the car cause of them.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG Black on Carlsson 1/6 EVO
I been lucky with my c32. I had a bi xenon issue and a check engine light very minor. I heard some bad stories about electrical issues..
Old 10-21-2005, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
My car , 14 months, all the way overall 'feels' reliable except some individual components failure which had caused only inconveniences; but none of the problems I encountered would induce any risks in critical handling. I got the same transmission oil leaking problem like everyone after the car launched 2 months. The problems stroked me by surprise was window wiper failed after 5 days on the road and the recent 'starter' failure overnight with no sign of abnormalities and that the car had to be towed away from the car park. The A-pillar rattling had been fixed by dealer after two times fixings. The Bi-Xenon's intermittent on/off problem was also fixed after replaced a control circuit.There are still some minor interior rattlings left but they can be tolerated fine. I did not experience problems related to AMG's modifications e.g. engine, transmission despite they did such a big job to turn W203 to a super car. I guess even E55, Porsche, Ferrari could have problems that would be more costly to fix. So , I will give a score of 65 out of 100 to C55's reliability. I cannt say I am very happy for what we had to pay for a C55 here; but I would not think reliability issues of C55 should affect a buying decision much; C55 is still the best choice and W203 is still the best built compact sedan overall. I still love my car.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:17 PM

'05 C55
I've had that same radio problem since the car was new. Basically when I turn the radio on, nothing. The Single CD says it's playing if I select it but no sound. The timer clicks off the seconds. If I press Audio my changer is not an option (the car "forgets" it has a changer). Plugging my iPod into Aux has no sound. I hadn't noticed if the Nav voice stops...I will check it next time (it WILL happen again)

So far they've "flashed" my head unit, replaced the CD changer, and replaced the amp. It's happened again since.

Interesting that other cars are doing it.....gonna have to pester my service rep again.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by sax maniac
I've had that same radio problem since the car was new. Basically when I turn the radio on, nothing. The Single CD says it's playing if I select it but no sound. The timer clicks off the seconds. If I press Audio my changer is not an option (the car "forgets" it has a changer). Plugging my iPod into Aux has no sound. I hadn't noticed if the Nav voice stops...I will check it next time (it WILL happen again)

So far they've "flashed" my head unit, replaced the CD changer, and replaced the amp. It's happened again since.

Interesting that other cars are doing it.....gonna have to pester my service rep again.
guys with the 05 and up H/K sound system, bring it to your dealer. they have to perform a firmware upgrade, hopefully that'll fix it.

there've been a lot of posts on this (particularly by me :p ) but yeah, it sucks, it needs to be updated...
Old 10-21-2005, 03:46 PM

Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
I bought one of the first C55's in my State and had a bunch of problems over the first 2-3 months. It was mostly little stuff and the dealer got it all sorted out so I decided to keep mine. It's been good the last 12-13 months now. Only current issue is a loose rear spoiler. The tape is just letting go ad the edges, but they said to just bring it back and they'll replace it. FYI, I had a bunch of audio & Nav issues early on, but the dealer checked all the wiring and then flashed the software and that cured it.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by rbaker
Only current issue is a loose rear spoiler.
Sheet!!! I hope my rear spoiler doesn't start falling off.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by dragonAMG
Sheet!!! I hope my rear spoiler doesn't start falling off.
I'm nervous now too! I think I saw in the past some other people post that their spoiler is starting to come off.

Damn, I should change my AMG badge to POS cause that's what they are. I'm going to sell mine now and buy a new Z06 :p
Old 10-21-2005, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
sorry but off topic--- hey dragon, did you get ur new shoes w/ the black center? if so, where are the pics?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 M3 Cab, 2005 C55 AMG, 2007 B7 RS4
I'm selling mine too, I had it over a year....nothting wrong, but just a
annoying Speaker rattel. Service twice...two new sets...still the same.
but that's not a main reason I'm seling it.

But i do had a hard time to sell it, I've post almost two weeks...no respones
I notice the same problem at two of the dealers, why? it's a hot car. i don't think the gas price has anything to do with it......well the wose come to worse I just give it back to the dealer...may lost some $$

any input??
Old 10-21-2005, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cbrcab
I'm selling mine too, I had it over a year....nothting wrong, but just a
annoying Speaker rattel. Service twice...two new sets...still the same.
but that's not a main reason I'm seling it.

But i do had a hard time to sell it, I've post almost two weeks...no respones
I notice the same problem at two of the dealers, why? it's a hot car. i don't think the gas price has anything to do with it......well the wose come to worse I just give it back to the dealer...may lost some $$

any input??
Keep it. That M5 you have on order is going to give you a huge headache with all the problems it will have. I promise.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Keep it. That M5 you have on order is going to give you a huge headache with all the problems it will have. I promise.
if the M5 has issues the joy of driving it will far out weigh the few issues it will have.

the m5 is best four door around imho. if my E55k were not worth so little i might trade it in!
Old 10-21-2005, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

True, the M5 will be a lot of fun to drive. A friend of mine has one and it's always in the shop getting something expensive fixed. If it's in the shop, you're not drivin' it. On another note...the new ones are SMG only. Blah.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:20 AM

05' MB C-dblenckel
Originally Posted by RawAMGpower
I'm going to sell mine now and buy a new Z06 :p
i dare you!!
Old 10-22-2005, 02:22 AM

05' MB C-dblenckel
. On another note...the new ones are SMG only. Blah.
they will offer a tradition manual in a year.....it was due to customers in NA griping... so I guess that states have shown a good market for the M5 in the past...I guess they don't wanna **** off the main buyers it
Old 10-22-2005, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by DbleNckel
i dare you!!
Oh already have. I'll show up at the next Benz meet with it and smoke all the E55's with the K2 and K3 upgrades. Hell I'll smoke any 65's that would want to challange it. :p

Even though with probably 20K to 30K in mods on the new Z06 you could have a 8 to 9 second car. I will not buy American. I'm waiting to see what MBUSA does with the 6.3L engine and what aftermarket stuff will be available for it.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:45 AM

Porsche
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
if the M5 has issues the joy of driving it will far out weigh the few issues it will have.

the m5 is best four door around imho. if my E55k were not worth so little i might trade it in!

I can't imagine the resale value on the E55 to be poor, being that it's the hottest 4 door saloon on the planet....
Eric...
Old 10-22-2005, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by EKaru
Well guys I was tired of the problems I had with the car so I decided to sell it. I had transmission connector issues twice and several electrical issues which were never resolved (despite my many visits to the dealership).... Apparently MB has cut their profits significantly to improve quality and I'm sure things will turn around for them.. Maybe in the future I'll be driving a C63 if they get their act back together. There were a lot of aspects I did enjoy about the C55 but so many problems on a relatively new car was unacceptable...
Eric...
So you bought an Audi? Audi Fox anyone?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sold the C55