C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Fun with an M5 yesterday evening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fun with an M5 yesterday evening

On my way home last night I was in play mode and it was late enough (just after dark) that traffic on my route was fairly light. I ran portions of my regular commute at around 6 or 7 tenths (basically limited by traffic and cop concerns), which you all know is quick in a C32. It was nice and cool outside, dry and about 50 degrees. I was travelling in the right-hand lane of a four-lane road, and I stopped at a red light (at another major cross-road/four-lane divided thoroughfare) , alone at the intersection with a van on my left. Over the hill behind me came a late-model black M5, travelling quickly. He pulled up behind me and stopped at the light. I saw him in the mirror chuckling at what my (vanity) license plate says. I knew it was an M5, but we weren't lined up so when the light turned green, I pulled away lightly, but quick enough so that we were well clear of the van in the left lane by the time we cleared the intersection. The M5 driver took the bait and immediately dove for the left lane. I knew he was on it, so I nailed it too. At this point we were side-by-side travelling about 35mph and full throttle. It was neck and neck - neither of us walked the other. We could only run up to about 100 before we had to shut down for traffic in our lanes. My lane was ending so I let up early enough to slot in behind him without being on his bumper like a kid in a ricer.

Just before the next light, the lanes opened up to four, but only the right lane was open. This time it was me behind him in the right lane. When the light turned green, we both nailed it. Once again, he could not pull any distance/walk me, and once again we had to shut down for upcoming traffic (this time, we only got to about 65/70mph). After that, we didn't have a chance to run again, because we were into the city and traffic was too heavy. We shared a smile, but I think the guy was genuinely surprised that he didn't just stomp me. Not quite a kill, but I'll take it...

I think if we had been on the freeway, the story would have been different. I've heard and read that the M5 has quite impressive 100mph+ performance!
Old 10-28-2005, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Nice !
Old 10-28-2005, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cars and boats!
Originally Posted by m3_eater
On my way home last night I was in play mode and it was late enough (just after dark) that traffic on my route was fairly light. I ran portions of my regular commute at around 6 or 7 tenths (basically limited by traffic and cop concerns), which you all know is quick in a C32. It was nice and cool outside, dry and about 50 degrees. I was travelling in the right-hand lane of a four-lane road, and I stopped at a red light (at another major cross-road/four-lane divided thoroughfare) , alone at the intersection with a van on my left. Over the hill behind me came a late-model black M5, travelling quickly. He pulled up behind me and stopped at the light. I saw him in the mirror chuckling at what my (vanity) license plate says. I knew it was an M5, but we weren't lined up so when the light turned green, I pulled away lightly, but quick enough so that we were well clear of the van in the left lane by the time we cleared the intersection. The M5 driver took the bait and immediately dove for the left lane. I knew he was on it, so I nailed it too. At this point we were side-by-side travelling about 35mph and full throttle. It was neck and neck - neither of us walked the other. We could only run up to about 100 before we had to shut down for traffic in our lanes. My lane was ending so I let up early enough to slot in behind him without being on his bumper like a kid in a ricer.

Just before the next light, the lanes opened up to four, but only the right lane was open. This time it was me behind him in the right lane. When the light turned green, we both nailed it. Once again, he could not pull any distance/walk me, and once again we had to shut down for upcoming traffic (this time, we only got to about 65/70mph). After that, we didn't have a chance to run again, because we were into the city and traffic was too heavy. We shared a smile, but I think the guy was genuinely surprised that he didn't just stomp me. Not quite a kill, but I'll take it...

I think if we had been on the freeway, the story would have been different. I've heard and read that the M5 has quite impressive 100mph+ performance!
on the contrary, i ran an M5 and i pulled on him on top!!
Old 10-28-2005, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
yeah, but you got some extra goodies that he doesnt
Old 10-28-2005, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by m3_eater
You'll never know , until you go !
Old 10-28-2005, 03:51 PM

You hit the nail on the head, psk145. I'm happy to be in the M5 neighborhood, running stock. When the mods are installed (have some waiting already), things will change :v