Anit-Sway Bars R&D for C32/C240/C320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
Anit-Sway Bars R&D for C32/C240/C320

For the past several months we have been working on improving suspension on W203, C32 in particular. Our plans include creating suspension packages with components that are tuned to work together. One of our major goals is to improve the handling without compromising the ride.

A bit of theory: W203, like many cars has 10 springs. Huh? Yes, you have coil spring in each corner, wheel and tire and what is called anti-sway or stabilizer bar on the front and in the rear.

We all know what coil springs do. It is the first thing we modify to improve handling and looks. This is what we did on our C32. We used H&R springs for C320 and they made a noticeable, yet comfortable, improvement in handling. Stock AMG shocks have no problem controlling these springs.

Now, wheels and tires. The size of the wheel, the sidewall stiffness of the tire and it's air pressure have a significant effect on car's handling. I will cover those in more detail next time, as we are getting ready to try 18s and 19s and judge their effect on handling.

Now, Anti-Sway Bars (ASB) or what also are known as stabilizer bars. ASB is what is called torsion spring. Their purpose is to keep, stabilize, car in side to side motion. C32 has 22 mm front bar and 16 mm rear bar. We made prototypes that are 24 mm in the front and 19 mm in the back. We did not want to go too big on the size. If the bars are too stiff, than the car starts to hunt on the freeway and turns nervous and choppy. Too make them more tunebale we made them 3-way adjustable on the front and 2-way adjustable in the back.

Here is the link to the front prototype:

Here is the rear:

By being able to change their rate, one can fine tune the suspension and set up the car for the track or the street, by simply moving ASB links. I will post more info on how ASB work later on.

I had them on my car for several days now and the car is noticeably more responsive with less roll through the corners. I took it over some pretty bad roads and it ran straight and true.
The bars will be powdercoated deep purple, our color and will come with new rubber bushings. First 25 sets should be ready by mid-August.

Thanks you for listening.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:49 PM

C32 AMG
It's very exciting to open your post everytime I'm very interested in this, can you quote me the price of the ASB? Or just the rough estimate.

One more thing, regarding the suspension package, will it include everything? Spring, shock and ASB? Thank you and all the best on your research ... Go Vadim
Old 07-20-2002, 02:38 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're excited now, just wait until late August-September, when Vadim finishes up more of his projects! Feel free to email me with questions or pricing inquiries; I think you will find them to be priced very reasonably!
Old 07-20-2002, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is another C32 owner who is looking forward to the ASB. And yes, I would love to know how much it cost. Can I be on the first 25 list?
Old 07-20-2002, 03:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Harris (and others):

Of course you can be on the list! Email me your name and phone number, so I can contact you on Monday and take down your full contact information.

Thanks!

Ben
Old 07-20-2002, 12:52 PM
rrf

Good idea

Nice work, Vadim

Thicker sways should prove to be a good way to improve handling. I might like this better than lowering as an option. Talk to us about the adjustability when you get some time.
Old 07-20-2002, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
r_1_c32: Yes, suspension packages will come complete in different stages depending on your driving goals.

rrf: Give me a week of playing with different settings and I will post more info.

Thank you for encouraging words everyone.