C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Evosport ODPS Problems - Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, C32, ML320
Evosport ODPS Problems - Update

As many of you may recall, I had numerous issues with the ODPS system that I purchased from Evosport for my C32: the intercooler reservoir leaked, the bottom fitting of the reservior protrudes below the lower engine shield (that has since been redesigned by Evosport), the alternator pulley needed to be shimmed out to meet the threads on the shaft, the power steering pulley has the Evosport logo on it in bright white (despite being assured by the sales staff that the casual observer would never notice the kit); but most importantly the crankshaft pulley lacks a dampener and following an oil leak it caught the attention of the dealer as a potential engine problem.

A very informative thread was started that discussed the lack of a dampener and dealers reactions to aftermarket pulleys. Unfortunately Evosport deleted the thread. I have it saved in case anyone wants to see it. It contains great input/data from fellow board members.

Since that time, I've met/spoken with a number of other dealers in my area. There is a consensus that the lack of a dampener is not a good thing and certainly wouldn't help my case if I were at their shop. That includes a mod-friendly dealer I was able to locate. I'm told that MB has the dampener there for a reason and that the major MB tuners retain the dampener in their aftermarket pulley designs. Apparently this isn't lost on Evosport as their latest pulley under development for the M271 includes a dampener https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=m271+pulley) - another interesting thread.

So what about those of us who have existing pulleys without the dampener? I asked Evosport and they responded that they would "push the build of a dampened pulley [for the C32] into the top of [their] production schedule."

I've been trying to get an update from Evosport on that and after the usual "I never got your e-mail" response, they essentially contradict the above with "I had indicated to you that it would be a while till we had a dampened solution" and "I am not able to give any firm dates."

So much for top of the production schedule. I think it is safe to assume that I/we may not even own this car anymore by the time they address this. If it is ever addressed.

Between all the pulley issues; removing, repairing and reinstalling the leaking reservoir; etc; I've lost a significant amount of time and $. And given the dealer feedback/warranty risk, the runaround with Evosport and the better design/acceptance of the RennTech pulley, I plan to replace the ODPS with that product.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
The link in the 3rd paragraph is dead for me.

Good post, many thanks for the information!
Old 11-26-2005, 08:15 PM

E55, C32, ML320
You're welcome.

Here's the link again:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=m271+pulley
Old 11-27-2005, 10:48 AM

W211 E63
[QUOTE/]

So what about those of us who have existing pulleys without the dampener? I asked Evosport and they responded that they would "push the build of a dampened pulley [for the C32] into the top of [their] production schedule."

[/QUOTE]

Mine hasnt create a serious problem but the car only has about 40000KM since the install of ODPS.

Evosport has more than once assured that their C32 has had the ODPS for a extended period or time/mileage + track time without any problems. I remeber back when they first introduce the C32 kit sometimes in 2002, the same topic was argued over and over. Now 3 years has gone by all their other ODPS solution for other S/C MB has a dampened pulley.

I too would like to see a dampened solution from Evosport for the C32 in their "C32 Rev 2.0 Kit". I wont expect a free upgrade for existing users but I will be more than happy to pay a few hundred $ if they come up with a dampened crankshaft pulley.

I hope that Evosport realize that even if only 1 C32 out there has a failed engine caused(proved) by an un-dampened crankshaft pulley, it will be very bad for their hard earn reputation.

IMHO, Evosport is in a hard postion here: If they come up now with a dampened C32 kit after 3 years of saying the existing C32 kit is ok, it will be like shooting at their own foot.

Maybe wait and see makes more business sense for them now because the it may never become a probelm or by the time that a undampened crankshaft related engine problem has developed, all the ODPS modded C32s will be at a relatively high mileage. The arguement will then be, at xx,xxx miles engine failures can even be seen on fully damped crankshaft cars.

In conclusion, I want to see an improved Evopsort C32 ODPS kit out there
Old 11-27-2005, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
this is a good thing to know cuz I was thinking of doing the pully upgrade. rentech vs evosport
Old 11-27-2005, 06:39 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Vadim's c32 has been running their pulley kit (stage 2-3) wateverz for years and according to them it's been fine.

I think the main issue is that when Evosport does the install they would know where would need some more care and attention to adjust the problem that might have. And when buyers bought it from out of the area and have them installed by their own shop they would not have the same care and attention or the knowledge that some hidden problem do exist, etc. In the end local buyers would praise EVOsport more than out of towners.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:10 PM

frank, i think you made a great point about how the evo package with evosport installation has not caused any problems.

i don't know much about the actual installation, but when comparing the renntech and evosport packages, the evosport package seems much more difficult to install just by the number of parts involved.

also, i haven't heard of any complaints from owners with the renntech package, including myself.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:42 PM

E55, C32, ML320
First of all, based on my experience and what I read on the forums, I don't trust anything I hear from Evosport anymore. Furthermore, in my opinion, their C32's engine could have blown twice over and I doubt you'd hear about it.

Second, my issues are not with the installation of the products, but the products themselves:
  1. a crankshaft pulley without a dampener that makes even a mod-friendly dealer nervous;
  2. an alternator pulley that had to be shimmed with FOUR washers to meet the shaft threads (pretty shaky if you ask me);
  3. a reservoir that leaked, which forced a complete reinstallation (including removing the front bumper again);
  4. a bottom fitting on the reservoir that requires you to cut through the shield and a blue fitting that protrudes visibly and arguably problematically (cutting through the shield was never mentioned by the sales staff. Furthermore, I was told that it would be very difficult for anyone to notice the presence of the ODPS kit. This has apparently been since redesigned by Evosport);
  5. a power steering pulley with a white Evosport label that screams "aftermarket pulleys on board." (again, despite the sales staff's statements about it not being noticeable).
Quality issues to be addressed separately, I question the fundamental design and apparently Evosport does too based on their recent actions/comments. MB, RennTech and Kleeman all have a dampener - The Evosport product effectively removes that from our cars by virtue of their design. In my opinion and based on my research, Evosport should recall the existing undampened pulleys and replace them with a model that retains the intended dampening capability.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:59 PM

2003 C32
thank you for the update blando
Old 11-28-2005, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Neil,

We have dealt with this issue in private, but since you want to make it public, I am happy to reply as well. As you are telling a one sided story, it is important for people to understand the entire facts, not just your perspective.

First, you had an installation issue that was not our fault. This is 100% the installer. I have a long trail of email that details this. I know you don’t agree, but I cannot do anything about that.

Second, I have recommended you to a Mercedes-Benz dealer in your area, one whom I personally spoke to, that would have taken care of your issues 100%. You refused to go to said dealer.

Third, I have made an agreement with you on resolution to your issues. I have agreed to make you a special CUSTOM dampened pulley, replace the container (which has been upgraded to a newer design, just like MB does with their vehicles during a model run) AND agreed to cover all the labor to do this at a dealer we trust. This is goodwill we offered to you as compensation. Yet you are still not happy. I told you over the weekend that a custom pulley, even at the top of our development schedule, which it is, is not an overnight solution. Even though you agreed to this before, you seem to have changed your position once again. Nothing I can do about that. I have gone out of my way to try to take care of you, and you fail to see that and you will not even take your car to the dealer we recommend or give us the time needed to get you what you want.

Fourth, there is no fundamental flaw with a non-dampened pulley. You have an opinion. However, you are not an engineer and have not done the research to make such a bold statement. We have had three engineers who are experts in the automotive trade agree it is not an issue with this motor. We also have over 50 cars running with no crank issues.

Now, to address your specific points:
  1. This is your experience. This is not factual; it is your one data point. In fact, our car has gone to three different dealers with no issue. Further, I had recommended a Mercedes Dealer to you that you did not go and see.
  2. This has been addressed with you off-line.
  3. We agreed to upgrade your bottle and cover the labor to do so.
  4. See #3
  5. This is a personal issue you have with the pulley
Neil, I can only offer to take care of the issues that are ours. I have offered to do this and more, and you are still not happy. Not sure what else can be done. Sometimes people are just not reasonable.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 11-28-2005, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by box986
Mine hasnt create a serious problem but the car only has about 40000KM since the install of ODPS.

Evosport has more than once assured that their C32 has had the ODPS for a extended period or time/mileage + track time without any problems. I remeber back when they first introduce the C32 kit sometimes in 2002, the same topic was argued over and over. Now 3 years has gone by all their other ODPS solution for other S/C MB has a dampened pulley.

I too would like to see a dampened solution from Evosport for the C32 in their "C32 Rev 2.0 Kit". I wont expect a free upgrade for existing users but I will be more than happy to pay a few hundred $ if they come up with a dampened crankshaft pulley.

I hope that Evosport realize that even if only 1 C32 out there has a failed engine caused(proved) by an un-dampened crankshaft pulley, it will be very bad for their hard earn reputation.

IMHO, Evosport is in a hard postion here: If they come up now with a dampened C32 kit after 3 years of saying the existing C32 kit is ok, it will be like shooting at their own foot.

Maybe wait and see makes more business sense for them now because the it may never become a probelm or by the time that a undampened crankshaft related engine problem has developed, all the ODPS modded C32s will be at a relatively high mileage. The arguement will then be, at xx,xxx miles engine failures can even be seen on fully damped crankshaft cars.

In conclusion, I want to see an improved Evopsort C32 ODPS kit out there
Thanks for your post. In fact, we had agreed internally to offer a dampened pulley to blando. We were going to do one custom for Neil (blando), but if more want it, then we can offer as an upgrade.

We maintain that there is no issue and will not be changing the pulley on our car here (Vadim's) as he has zero problem with his, and as he is the engineer and it is his own car, that should speak to the issue.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 11-28-2005, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
for me personally, the lack of a damper is the one thing that's keeping me from getting the odps. I know you say there is no problem with not having one, but its just for peace of mind (at least me personally). Hopefully you can work a dampened version into production!
Old 11-28-2005, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by psk145
for me personally, the lack of a damper is the one thing that's keeping me from getting the odps. I know you say there is no problem with not having one, but its just for peace of mind (at least me personally). Hopefully you can work a dampened version into production!
I understand the concern. This is where Neil is coming from partly as well. I had agreed to make one for him. Like I posted, we can likely offer this as an upgrade to those out there and as an alternative kit for new buyers. The pulley is in dev., but that is a90-120 day process at the min. and we are about a month into it.

Thanks
Brad
Old 11-28-2005, 04:01 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
Originally Posted by otoupalik
I understand the concern. This is where Neil is coming from partly as well. I had agreed to make one for him. Like I posted, we can likley offer this as an upgrade to those out there and as an alternative kit for new buyers. The pulley is in dev., but that is a90-120 day process at the min. and we are about a month into it.

Thanks
Brad
The peace of mind is really assuring. I'd be interested in it as an upgrade if the cost is reasonable.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:16 PM

E55, C32, ML320
Brad, I have extensive documentation for anyone who is interested. For the record, that includes:

- my entire electronic exchange with Evosport (e-mail, PM).
- pictures and records from the mechanics
- resumes of my mechanics (over 20 years exclusive MB experience for the person that worked on my car)
- the previous thread Evosport deleted
- other threads where other people have had issues with Evosport products and have been given the same runaround (a number have been deleted, unfortunately, but I have copies of some)

My interest is in sharing my experience with the other forum members. They are all adults and I'm sure they can make informed, balanced decisions. Again, for the record, everything I state is 100% factual and I can back it up.

Unfortunately, you are in a different position as a salesperson and the owner of these forums (a true conflict of interest I would say.) In my opinion, you continually spin the facts and make outright untrue statements. You have lost all credibility with me and I would guess others who have been in my position or have read your posts on these topics (especially in the deleted threads).

Now on to your points:

1. This is your experience. This is not factual; it is your one data point. In fact, our car has gone to three different dealers with no issue. Further, I had recommended a Mercedes Dealer to you that you did not go and see.

First, your dealer was three counties away from me and by the time you made that recommendation (per my return e-mail to you), I had returned the car to stock in an effort to get it unflagged (as a modified engine) by the original dealer. Secondly, I spoke to THREE other dealers (including a mod-friendly one) that agreed that the design was inferior and problematic. These are all true MB mechanics/engineers, not some small mod shop. I even got feedback from MBUSA in Montvale. Bottom line is that you removed the dampening capability of the crankshaft pulley. You say it isn't important - MB, MBUSA, RennTech and Kleeman all say it is. You go on to restore the dampener into your other pulleys. Speaks for itself.

2. This has been addressed with you off-line.

How so? By you acknowledging it and not doing anything? If so, then I stand corrected. The fact remains that you've not sent me a new pulley. Furthermore, my purpose here is to share this information with forum members online, not offline.

3. We agreed to upgrade your bottle and cover the labor to do so.

While I as the customer made a proactive, formal request to that end, never did you acknowledge that you specificallly agreed to it nor did you make any attempt to actually send me something.

4 and 5. See #3 This is a personal issue you have with the pulley.

Your salesperson said that the kit was 100% not noticable during regular service. You asked me for proof of this claim and I sent it.

If need be, I am happy to post everything here for everyones' benefit. Then let the forum members decide who is being honest. I have nothing to gain, other than giving back to the forum what I have gotten from my fellow members: knowledge and feedback.

Last edited by blando; 11-28-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Founder

Neil,

Like I said, you simply cannot please everyone. I also have everything in writing, including my email detailing to you where we would pay for the labor to do the swap and send you the new pulley and bottle. I also have the reply where you agree to that. So I think that at this point for the forum it is a he-said she said situation.

Of course we have taken a beating by some people, some for warranted reasons most for other reasons. I and my partner share ownership in evosport and MBWorld, so that is par for the course. If you and others did not think you could "blackmail" us with this forum, you would not post here.

I have tried to be civil with you and have offered to take care of your situation (to which you agreed, in writing). No you sing a different song to the public.

That is too bad.

Now for the forum, nothing more will be gained by us going back and forth. I have sent you another e-mail asking if you want a different arrangement. Even with these posts, I still will stick to my word to take care of you in the way that you and I agreed. The ball is in your court.

Thanks
Brad
Old 11-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I am going to close the thread, as this is a past issue which has been discussed before.

Everyone has seen posts before of a company aruging with an individual before, let's really not go down that route again.