I am done with Mercedes.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
Originally Posted by The Godfather
Wtf. I was 22, I came in some beat up '94 E320 at Fletcher Jones to test drive (joy ride) an E55 W211 and W220 S55. Now keep in mind the E55 had been out for like a month or two. I had the general manager personally give me the test drives. Took it to 140mph each. Me and my dirty Hindu friend w/ an old *** 190E. Did I have money? Was I dressed nice? Did I have a gangsta car?

Just like Vader13, it all boils down to your demeanor. If you're ghetto, they'll see it. If you're gangsta, like me, they'll bow down.

nuuuukkkkkaaa!!
TRU DAT PLAYBOY..
**** I have personally seen you make those fools sweat as they call you sir and let your drive antything on the lot..LMAO
Old 12-26-2005, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by Vader13
TRU DAT PLAYBOY..
**** I have personally seen you make those fools sweat as they call you sir and let your drive antything on the lot..LMAO
hahah That's how we do! :v GM at his desk "What do you do if you don't mind me asking?" Me: "You don't wanna know." GM:" Oh...would you like a water?"
Old 12-26-2005, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hahah That's how we do! :v GM at his desk "What do you do if you don't mind me asking?" Me: "You don't wanna know." GM:" Oh...would you like a water?"
Mafiosoo....lololol
Old 12-26-2005, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by naadp
I am offically done with Mercedes. For the second time in two years, I went into a Mercedes dealership in Phoenix with the intention of buying a new car. If they had what I was looking for, or made some effort to find it, I would have written a check on the spot for the car. Instead, I got treated like a little kid -- again.

Two years ago when I bought my C32, I went to all three dealers in Phoenix. I knew what car I wanted to buy, but never had such obstacles been placed before me. I went into one dealership, Schumacker, where I spent nearly an hour standing in the showroom and not one sales person even attempted to help me. I went to another one, The Phoenix Motor Company, where the sales guy didn't show really any interest in helping me or making a sale. I was apparently just wasting his time.

The third dealership, Chandler, found a 2003 "demo" with 2k miles on it and tried to screw me over using the line "because of your age, we think you're going to default so you'll have to put X down on the lease." I ended up buying my C32 through a broker who got it for me with 5k less down, and the payment was about $500 less a month. It wasn't even about the money, it was about me knowing they were trying to screw me "because of my age."

Fast forward two years...

There is a group of people who wish me harm, and I have no doubts about their intent. I've pissed some people off in my business -- I think I may have bulldozed their crack house or something. I sold my home in suburbia and moved back into the city for various reasons. I'm living in a building where only 5 other people have the gate code to get anywhere near the elevator to my floor. I've pretty much only been going out to eat lately, I even do a majority of my work from home now. I know in the end it will be worth it financially.

I priced out various options and found that the S-guard is probably one of the more cost effective products. I don't need crazy protection from RPGs or chemical attacks. In between the three phone calls he took in the less than 5 minutes I was in his office, the lardass sales guy suggested I try "Fletcher Jones, in California" rather than even making an effort. I think instead, I'm going to try a level 3 (b4) Suburban I found about 20 miles away.

I wonder how long it'll take for me to get my CL63 deposit check back because I've recently found that the biggest difference between Mercedes and VW is that one actually wants to sell me their cars. end rant.

Why didnt you jump into a plane and fly to Germany and order the car you want with factory pick-up. So you dont fit the local profile of a MB customer. Hard to blame people for being ignorant since it isnt going to change unless you get your car from someone else.

I went to 5 dealerships in my dust covered work trousers and wore flip-flops. Lucky for me no one would serve me or give me a test drive. I phone head-office and had a car with a 4 month waiting list the next week.

At the end of the day dealerships are just silly little companies trying to sell cars. They dont represent Mercedes in the same way that factory owned dealerships do.

Factory owned dealerships are something else. They will sell a Benz to a guy with a blind persons cane.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by BiTurboV12 AMG
Do you act strange when you go in or something? I am only 19 and when ever i walk in i get a sales guy who comes up to me and asks if he can help me. since schumacher moved i have noticed they dont have a large sale staff and takes for ever to get someone. If you feel you are being treated badly at schumacher go to the front desk and ask to speak to michael schumacher and tell him how you feel hes a nice guy and will help you out. Phx motor is where my family gets all its cars since they make the best deals and they a little bit more snotty so thats why we got to schumacher to test drive cars then buy them at Phx. Chandler MB is the worst i used to know one of the GMs so when i went there i would just ask for her and she would show many anything i wanted. so to recap it Test drive the cars at schumacher buy them at Phx and service them at chandler or phx. What part of tempe do you live in and what type of business are you in? and do you have a silver GT that was at a gas station on Eliot and McClintock like 4 days ago?
My personality tends to be more on the side of understated. I'm a fairly reserved person and generally let people believe I'm a schmuck before they figure out that I'm very aware of what's going on. I figured out a long time ago that I'll learn more by listening: high strung, high pressure dealmakers tend to not like akward silence, so they fill it by saying things they really shouldn't. Regardless, I tend to dress well, and I drive nice cars. None of this seems to matter because I'm not 50, fat, and bald.

If you're talking about Glenn Melton at MB Chandler, he had a very personal hand in screwing up my purchase of the C32.

I live in downtown Tempe, I do land development and have a consulting company that does banking software (the consulting came first), and my GT is white.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by benzmodz
Why didnt you jump into a plane and fly to Germany and order the car you want with factory pick-up. So you dont fit the local profile of a MB customer. Hard to blame people for being ignorant since it isnt going to change unless you get your car from someone else.

I went to 5 dealerships in my dust covered work trousers and wore flip-flops. Lucky for me no one would serve me or give me a test drive. I phone head-office and had a car with a 4 month waiting list the next week.

At the end of the day dealerships are just silly little companies trying to sell cars. They dont represent Mercedes in the same way that factory owned dealerships do.

Factory owned dealerships are something else. They will sell a Benz to a guy with a blind persons cane.

I didn't even know you could order the cars direct from the factory. The European delievery program here requires you to order through a local dealer. Is it actually possible in the US to buy the car factory direct and have them import it?
Old 12-26-2005, 01:30 AM
ON PROBATION

Yes, but you pay shipping, import tax, and you pay Germany prices for the car in Euros -- it all adds up to ouch
Better to order through US dealer (and have the car stop off at AMG Manufaktur on its way to the export port....).
Old 12-26-2005, 08:54 AM

Wtf. I was 22, I came in some beat up '94 E320 at Fletcher Jones to test drive (joy ride) an E55 W211 and W220 S55. Now keep in mind the E55 had been out for like a month or two. I had the general manager personally give me the test drives. Took it to 140mph each. Me and my dirty Hindu friend w/ an old *** 190E. Did I have money? Was I dressed nice? Did I have a gangsta car?

Just like Vader13, it all boils down to your demeanor. If you're ghetto, they'll see it. If you're gangsta, like me, they'll bow down.

nuuuukkkkkaaa!!

Do you truly consider yourself "gangsta"?
Old 12-26-2005, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.

nuuuukkkkkaaa!!
okay there.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:13 PM

BLACK 2005 SLK55 AMG,02 SILVER C32(SOLD),02 ML320 SILVER(Sold),99 S320 BLUE, 03 E500 Sport Pewter
I used to get that too. I would walk into a dealership with my dad and sometimes by myself and it would take honestly 25 mins for someone to help us. Now that I work at a dealership myself I make sure to say hi to everyone that walks through our doors. We actually get yelled at during our meeting if we let a person come in and leave without saying hi. I'm 23 and whether you are gangsta, ghetto, poorly dressed, whatever it is, I will say hi because it's always a potential sale. I work at luxury motors so the varitey of cars we sell are all high end. You never know when someone on a bentley just comes in and an urge to buy one. I wouldn't let a ***** from a mercedes dealer steer you away from a great quality brand. It has nothing to do with mercedes but the ***** who works for them.

Just my .02

Afrim Delisi
Old 12-26-2005, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
lmao.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:30 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by chitownc32
... I wouldn't let a ***** from a mercedes dealer steer you away from a great quality brand. It has nothing to do with mercedes but the ***** who works for them...
My point exactly.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by chitownc32
I wouldn't let a ***** from a mercedes dealer steer you away from a great quality brand. It has nothing to do with mercedes but the ***** who works for them.
If I deal with it and buy the car, the dillwad believes that what he is doing is "right." It's kind of like when your dog takes a wiz on the carpet and you give him a treat. Besides, the dealer gets the holdback, the sales manager gets the spoon, and the sales guy gets his commission. On an S-class, I'd expect to pay full sticker price. The difference between MSRP and invoice is about 6k, and 3% on the hold back.

For $8,000 of MY MONEY, they can at least pretend to like me. It's a pride thing.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:51 PM
ON PROBATION

Well, I don't want to get into a pissing match with you because I respect your postings, your opinions, and your experience. I do buy about 50 MBZ's a year, however, and I personally own a sh#tload of them. The difference between invoice and MSRP in the US on the AMG lineup ranges from $3000 USD to $14,000 USD (about $40K on an SLR) as they go up in price -- so there's that for starters.... The 'holdback', or 'pad' as I call it, may be only 3% or so as you state and therefore wouldn't be as large of a difference -- but that is enough profit for the dealer right there(!). The money is made - the way the bills are paid - is in the parts and service depts. So getting the car for less than MSRP is not that hard to do if you shop nationwide. And yes, as I've previously stated, I am usually generous with them in only asking for a modest reduction from MSRP -- we both know how much money thy're making on the deal, and it keeps things amicable. But paying MSRP is too much. Too much, IMO.
How they treat you? Generally not well. And that's why I try to build relationships with folks that I like dealing with...but salesmen move on, new sales managers replace the old ones, and GM's change too.
My universal experience? Generally the customer is treated like they're handing you an armful of dollars and not the other way around.... That's just the way it is.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:58 PM

05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
Originally Posted by ClayJ
I do buy about 50 MBZ's a year, however, and I personally own a sh#tload of them.
That's like one a week Do you get a new one when they run out of gas? That must suck j/k.

I'm lucky to by a new car every two years.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:13 PM
ON PROBATION

Business.....
Old 12-26-2005, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lmao.
X2 Amatures, Always walk in like you pwn the place, if they diss you walk up to them and ask for a salesman, If they say I am salesman, say..I want one I don't have to walk up to. Then TORTURE then next guy and do the deal.
Aks for everything, what do you have to lose?
Old 12-26-2005, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG 2002, C 63 AMG 2009
Originally Posted by Trekman
I told him maybe its a lot of money for him not for me I told him I dont get paid $10 an hour. he turned red....
Now that was "Classic"
Old 12-26-2005, 11:01 PM

02 ML320, 06 E350
Originally Posted by naadp
My personality tends to be more on the side of understated. I'm a fairly reserved person and generally let people believe I'm a schmuck before they figure out that I'm very aware of what's going on. I figured out a long time ago that I'll learn more by listening: high strung, high pressure dealmakers tend to not like akward silence, so they fill it by saying things they really shouldn't. Regardless, I tend to dress well, and I drive nice cars. None of this seems to matter because I'm not 50, fat, and bald.

If you're talking about Glenn Melton at MB Chandler, he had a very personal hand in screwing up my purchase of the C32.

I live in downtown Tempe, I do land development and have a consulting company that does banking software (the consulting came first), and my GT is white.

I thought Glenn died for the longest time the people next door to me said he was going to buy their house. The girl i knew that worked there quit after a few weeks, she didnt like the working conditions and now works at the caddy dealer. they where in a real big mess before penske took over.

Why dont you just drive your GT when you go look at cars?
Old 12-26-2005, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by r3v1ls
That's vey dissapointing to hear but I must agree, MB quality has not only gone done in service but also sales. The whole process of buying one has gone down... Definitelly not something you'd expect when buying a 40k + car
Yeah MB service has been down the drain, especially knowing that some guy that BS alot (my friend) works at the MB service department lols

back to the topic, hearing from a lot of members, pheonix dealers are BAD, no more MB for me after these cars are done!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
I dont think race has anything to do with it. By looking at me, you can't tell what I am.

No offense, but you're comparing a C-Class to a SL-Class. If a 26yr old shows up to buy a C-Class, they'll take it seriously. SL55 .. they'll think you're not serious.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. I'm planning on posting a review on this site on exactly how it all happens when I try in a few weeks.

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY
this is sort of an interesting thread....I had a TOTALLY different experience though....

(granted I am white so I probably didn't inspire any sort of racial discrimination)....I am only 23 yrs old, I probably look like I'm 16 (young face), and I certainly wasn't dressed in a business suit or anything when I first walked into the dealership. In spite of all of the above, a sales rep approached me rather quickly after I started going over the C43 posted out front in the showroom. We started talking, and he seemed 1) very knowledgeable about the car in particular and 2) very interested in trying to sell me the car. The car itself was in *mint* condition, and was stickered in the upper price range for a '99 C43......so it's not like he was trying to find some young kid to pawn the ratty old C-class off to. Anyhow, without even asking him, he asked me if I would like to take it for a drive....which of course I accepted

After the drive I told him I needed to think about it for a couple days.....kind of a lie, but I had to play cool, as if I hadn't been specifically looking for this exact car. Two days later, I got a letter in the mail from the rep, thanking me for looking at the car, and encouraging me to call him if I had any questions. Several days later, I went back up to the dealership, and a different rep (the other guy was on vacation in CA) spent over an hour going over every aspect of the car with me. Again, very knowledgeable, and very interested in answering all of my questions. He brought me out all of the maintenance (CPO) papers, the car's service history (it had been a local car since the original drive-off), CARFAX, and even gave me a run down of the history and specifics of the C43 (even though I had definitely done my homework in advance). I think it was their service that actually convinced me to buy the car right there on the spot (in addition to the fact that the car was literally perfect). They gave me a "token" discount (didn't expect too much), and were very accomodating. To top it all off, they gave me my choice of a few small purchase gifts (nothing too special, but a nice gesture....not sure if this is standard throughout MB). So overall, I drove out of the dealership in the shiny C43 that I had hoped to find, feeling very happy about my overall experience with Mercedes-Benz.

This was a smaller dealership (Portland,OR) but it just goes to show that there are still some guys out there with some class
Old 12-29-2005, 03:01 PM

06 SLK 55, 06 S4 avant, 05 Jetta GLI, 04 Boxster S
I think the way Mercedes pays their people has a lot to do with the quality of todays salesperson. A few years ago (when I was still in the business) they deciedes to try a "one price" structure like saturn. The front end profit was cut by some 60% and dealers were told to sell on the sticker price. The idea was that customers will stop shopping dealers on price and buy from the dealer closest to the house. Here in DC, that lasted about 10 seconds. HBL and Euro were discounting ML's the day after the new window stickers came in. The end result was a salesperson went from earning a dececent living to making squat. Most good salespersons left and were replaced by your typical smuck. For people to care, they have to be paid. Who is going to special order an armored S class only to get paid a few hundred bucks for the trouble ? I am not defending how we are treated, I am a customer myself. I think mercedes needs to address this issue before they loose anymore customers to Lexus.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Almost a Member!

'05 C55 AMG, '05 Toyota Sequoia
Originally Posted by platinumsc
I feel your pain. There have been times I've felt mistreated by the sales people at the local benz dealership here in Broward County, Fl. I remember walking in the showroom in a shirt & tie and being skipped by the greeter to a man coming in behind me. I thought it just a faux paux and ignored it. Then it happened again. Worse, on two ocassions, I was ignored until the black salesmen were available. It was so obvious I know I am not imagining it. That's 4 incidents. Wait, there was a 5th. One salesman tried the old bait and switch game on me. I called about a pre-owned car and was told to come on down, it's still available. Once I saw it I knew something was wrong. The car was in very poor condition, hense the reasonable prive. I said to the salesman, be honest, I know you can't afford to recondition this car and sell it to me for the price quoted. Let's look at something else. The guy felt he had to continue the game instead of admitting it. After an hour and coming back from talking to the mgr he says, I can't sell youi that car at this price. I was so pissed I walked away.
Please don't take this as bragging...I am a black man who is distinguished looking and well dressed. Also fairly intelligent. I've lived my life trying hard to make race issues not be at the fore of my thinking and behavior. I judge by character rather than appearance. I am also very perceptive and know what I felt at AutoHaus Mercedes was racially biased behavior. If I ever buy another benz it won't be from them.
Autohaus Pompano just plain sux!
Been there, looking for a C55 AMG, they assigned me some guy, who was trying to tell me, that '05 C55 is supercharged V6 I'm like , yeah...right..., he even tried to show it to me on teh window sticker

I'm like what is teh difference between E55 and C55 - just a supercharger? He's like, no, E55 has bigger engine

I was at Palm Beach MB and Autohaus Pompano looking for a 50K car, and I wasn't given even half teh attention I got at Maroone, buying '05 Toyota Sequoia this May. Maybe because Sequoia was their top of the line, and C-class is an entry level to luxury? But I'm not getting a 29K C230, but a 50K AMG
Well, end up buying a car from a non-MB dealership in Austin, Tx, should be here in Boca Raton in a week or so.