C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Analog Climate Control to Digital on C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Analog Climate Control to Digital on C55

The US version of the C55 has the analog A/C control. But the European version has the Digital A/C control as an option on all C and CLK class MBs. Mostlikely it comes standard on AMG models. To me its so weird that C55 has a very cool interrior with 8 inches navigation monitor. The colored cluster monitor, but the analog A/C control looks so ancient on this car. Even the old C43 and C32 has digital controls for the A/C. In my opinion the digital a/c control should come standard on this car, however its not even an option.

I wonder if anyone has thought of ordering the european digital control part and installing on the US version of the C55. Has anyone done this already? Is it possible ? Cost?

I asked about this option to the dealer when I was test-driving the C55, they told me thats an option for only european models and neither clk nor C class have this option in the US. Their reason for not having this is its easier to turn the heat up or down by rotating the knob instead of pushing the buttons millions of times i.e from 60F to 75F on the analog control. I was shocked that an MB dealer was not aware of the combo buttons on the Digital A/C control. You can easly go from 60F to 72F, by pressing red and blue arrows at the same time. anyways, i dont believe their reason is good enough for not having this. A car that cost over 55k must have digital control all over. If you want to keep the classic look keep everything analog. but its funny when you have everything high end, high tech digital and keep the a/c in 70s technology.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Nothing about the "knob" style A/C control is actually "analog" - every knob is a stepped dial, therefore the whole thing is actually "digital". Even BMW has reverted back to using dials in its high end cars. People just seem to like them better! However, I'd like to know if this retrofit is possible, too.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Substance - I totally agree with you. I'm debating on ordering a C55, and this has crossed my mind. I assume the Euro climate control panel could be installed, I can't imagine the internal wiring is that different. Manufacturers save costs by standardizing the car internals and just changing the "facade". Maybe the guy who installs Command (who is it again?) would do this?

If you look at competing cars - A4/S4, 3 series, G35, IS350, TL - they ALL have digital temperature readouts. Yes, they may have rotary dials to set the temp, but the C class is the only one without the digital readout. Makes no sense. Preempting electrical problems or cost savings by MB???