C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Purpose adaptation of transmission for driving style?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Purpose adaptation of transmission for driving style?

I found the TSB below and it got me thinking. If you can 'manually' adapt the transmission to get over the rough torque converter engagement, then can you deliberately adapt the tranny to be more to your liking with a similar procedure?

Namely, after having my adaptation cleared to get rid of the jerk at 1500 rpm problem that is so common on these cars, I found that it bogs and doesn't get into the lower gears from a stop or corner how I'd like. This gives me an 'all or nothing' behavior that I don't care for. i.e. I will come out of corner, get on the gas to about 90% throttle, but it will just bog in a lower gear. To get it to downshift I have to go all the way to WOT, but then that's *****-out which I might not want, I just wanted it to have an earlier shift-point at about 3/4 throttle or so. I'm assuming if I really get on it on a track, the SpeedShift programming kicks in and it's more watching my cornering load, previous throttle positions, etc...but under normal driving I would just like it to shift (by itself) down rather than hang in a high gear without me getting on it hard.

If I had to guess, I would say it's this way because the adaptation was cleared and then I went out driving in the snow, with the ESP kicking in all the time, and only very spuriously putting my foot in it.

All that said, besides clearing again in the spring and getting some really hard driving in, does anyone know a way I can use a procedure like that below to adapt the tranny more to my liking?

--------------tsb-------------

A/T - Rough Converter Engagement/Droning/Buzzing Noise

Date: January 10, 2005

Order No.: P-B-27.60/43

Supersedes:

Group: 27
SUBJECT:
Model 170.466

Model 203.040/065/740

Model 211.065/070/076/082/083/265/282/283

Model 215.374

Model 220.174

Model 230.474/476

Torque Converter Clutch Rough Engagement and/or Droning/Buzzing

If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles that during acceleration and/or constant drive there is a noticeable jerk, possibly followed by a droning/buzzing, adapt the torque converter clutch as per the below procedure. This may be caused by a lack of/or inadequate adaption of the torque converter clutch. This particularly applies in cases where there is less than 6,000 miles accrued on the torque converter or transmission control unit.
1. Read engine coolant temperature out with Star Diagnosis [Cars > Vehicle Type > control units > ME > Actual Values > Test engine at idle speed].

2. Start the engine (cold start, over-night), select D with the shifter and hold the vehicle at idle speed for 20 seconds by depressing the brake pedal.

3. Start driving the vehicle between 30-40 mph on level ground using the cruise control. With SDS, observe the engine coolant temperature until the engine coolant temperature has risen approx. 10 degrees Farenheit.

Warning! Hazardous procedure for one technician alone.

4. Stop driving and hold the vehicle in "D" at idle speed for 20 seconds by depressing the brake pedal.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with each engine coolant temperature increase of about 10 degrees Farenheit until the operating temperature levels out.

6. After reaching a transmission oil temperature of 80 degrees Celsius, continue driving between 30-40 mph, on level ground for 10 minutes cumulatively using the cruise control to maintain consistant engine load.

Note : The following allowable labor operations should be used when submitting a warranty claim for this repair.