Considering a C32 - a few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA45
Considering a C32 - a few questions

Hi folks,

I turned in my CLK55 lease yesterday and the dealer has a '03 C32 with around 39000 miles available - I took it for a spin and as expected it is a beautiful car - not quite the same as the '55 but still feels like a dart.

Their asking price is $39900 - some quick research on Edmunds and KBB show a retail value in the range of $36500 as equipped (it is Starmarked).

the BMW dealer has a 3 series rolling in next week for me to take a good look at, and it's decked out with all the toys (nav, bluetooth, sirius radio) - none of which are in this C32. But - I've had a warm spot for the C32 for some time now (even back in '03 when I got the '55) - so I'm wondering if these numbers ring true, or if they seem out of whack. I'm definitely considering another run with it, and if I do that there's an excellent chance I will leave with it.

And finally, I've been reading the extended warrantee threads, is the StarMark enough? As I understand it, that runs for one additional year plus extends you to 100,000 miles - but isn't that whichever comes first?

Any input is quite welcome! Thanks!
Old 01-20-2006, 03:40 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Asking and getting are not always the same thing! The asking price is high based on the miles, even for a Certified car. There is a White/Black '02 with 16k miles in St. Louis that is PERFECT and they have it listed on AutoTrader for $36,900 or if you walk in they are asking $38,900. It's an awsome car and if had been Silver, I would be negotiating hard to own it! I think you could buy it for around $33k or a little less based on what they were telling me. You can see it here.

I'm getting a Silver '02 w/ 13,xxx miles that has everything except NAV for a lot less than they are asking for yours. I've been searching for the last 3 weeks and am finding them in the high $20s with 40k miles or more up to $38k for really low miles. There's a Pewter '03 in KY that has 39k miles for right around $31k, but it has a checkered past according to CarFax. The original owner has a blow out on the right rear and the police report said that he hit a fence. The current owner says that it was just a touch up job due to the blow out.

On the warranty issue, I've been looking hard at this and the Mercedes program only adds 12 months or to 100k miles, whichever comes first. If you want to add additional years, you can but bring your check book! Not cheap!! Most of the questionably good aftermarket warranties that cover the important stuff will run in the neighborhood of $2500 to $3000. In my case, with such low miles, I'm going to take a chance for a while and wait to buy the warranty. Heck, I may not even like the car and flip it with in 6 months. Good luck with the search and remember that they brought 1000 in to the US each year, so any '03 that was leased should be coming back pretty soon.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Almost a Member!

03' C32 Silver
Smile

Sounds a little high to me. I am considering selling my 03 C32 Silver/Charcoal with 33k miles and Mercedes Starmark until September of 2009/100,000 miles for $37,000. Car also has no accident history or paintwork, wheels etc.. in excellent condition and I have all books, records and receipts. If you get one you will not be disappointed. I'm wanting a C55 so I can boost it with Kleeman etc... If you're intersted send me a PM if not good luck in your quest.

Last edited by Harpinc; 01-20-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
why spend almost $40,000 for C32 w/ high miles when u can get a used C55 for few thousand dollars more?

if ur serious about getting a C32, i would seriously look into getting a C55.

good luck and hopefully u'll stay in MB family
Old 01-20-2006, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
mid to low 30's for a low milage stock C32 with warranty

Mid 40's for a C55.

I paid $33k for mine 10 months ago with only 27k miles. However the warranty already expired.

I would say, stay within Private Party Kelly Blue value and you will be fine.

Don't look at the retail price, since that is what the dealers use to jack up the price.

By the way.. . a C32 will be cheaper to modify for the money. Of course you can Kleeman a C55, but it will cost you serious $$.

If you are going from the ClK55 to the C32, you will miss the low end torque. A pulley kit and chip will fix that, but stock it lacks the low end punch around town.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:39 PM
ON PROBATION

May be re-stating the obvious -- but yes, the C55 is a way better car....
Have you looked for a pre-owned C55?
Old 01-20-2006, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Sounds like the price is too high.. I wouldn't want to pay more than 35k.. especially since I see so many listed around 30k on ebay.. from dealers even.

I bought my 02 c32 back in November for $27k Starmarked until 4/07 or 100k miles. It had 85k miles, but I honestly don't care as the car is under warranty and was in almost perfect shape fully loaded except parktronic..

The new 3 series look pretty cool to me, but I didn't really consider geting a new one. I sold my 01 330i after I bought my c32. I was going to keep it as my commuter car but didn't drive it for a month since I loved the c32 so much. I never even went and seriously looked at the new 3 series.. besides I hate knowing as soon as you drive it off the lot you lose big $$..

You can always add sirius/nav/bluetooth to the c32..
Old 01-21-2006, 04:01 PM

CLA45
Thanks!

Thanks to all for the replies - I really appreciate the info. They came down to $36K even and I told them I would think about it. Mileage is lower than I thought - just over 32000.

Regarding the C55, I drove one (new, not used, and a few months ago now) and it felt, I don't know, a bit less in control than the C32 - almost like it was too torquey if that makes sense (I'm sure some think 'How can you have too much torque?!?').

The thing is, in a car these days I really look for three things: I need to enjoy the experience, which pretty much means a nice mix of sporty and luxury; it needs to be a nice ride at 80 MPH (which is pretty typical highway speed around central Florida, especially when making a run from Orlando to Tampa and/or Miami); and I want a car that, if I decide to pass, I have done so pretty much before some clown decides to accellerate when I pull out.

The CLK55 met those requirements; the C32 certainly seems to!

One more question - I know I can add Sirius, and a nav I suppose could be added (there used to be someone that would add a COMAND system to CLK's, is there a similar capability in a C32?) - but what about aftermarket bluetooth? Are there any available that might integrate well with an (added) Comand system or Nav system (things like, muting the radio when a call comes in, and even better, uploading an address book)?

OK, I guess that was two questions.

Anyhow, once again, thanks for the input, much appreciated!
Old 01-22-2006, 11:53 AM

'03 C32
Hopefully you will get someone more mod-savvy than me to chime in on the Bluetooth issue, but I can tell you that the C32 has been a pleasant surprise for me. After many warnings from others (electrical problems, clueless service departments, vandalism target), I haven't had a single issue in my first six month of ownership.

I think the revised price is a fair one for a dealer. While I may be in the minority on this forum, I think the MB dealer is generally concerned with your customer experience and likely to make things right if there happens to be a problem.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:42 PM

I agree completely. I don't agree that the C55 is a 'way better car'. I absolutely love the feel of the supercharged 6 and the ability to mod it way more than a C55. Don't get me wrong, the C55 is an awesome vehicle as well, but I don't think it's a night and day difference. I've driven both and actually prefer mine over the C55.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:04 PM

Please come tell that to my local MB dealer. I've never experienced worse service or personal treatment from any shop of any kind than I received at my local MB dealer (Mercedes-Benz of Novi, MI), and I've owned many different makes of car. At MB, they act as if they are doing you a favor to even speak to you. It's so bad that I'm thinking of going back to BMW.

Originally Posted by Glasgow Gold
I think the revised price is a fair one for a dealer. While I may be in the minority on this forum, I think the MB dealer is generally concerned with your customer experience and likely to make things right if there happens to be a problem.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by m3_eater
Please come tell that to my local MB dealer. I've never experienced worse service or personal treatment from any shop of any kind than I received at my local MB dealer (Mercedes-Benz of Novi, MI), and I've owned many different makes of car. At MB, they act as if they are doing you a favor to even speak to you. It's so bad that I'm thinking of going back to BMW.
Sorry a little off topic but..

I had that exact problem with my local MB dealer. (MB of San Diego really sucks bad). I don't even want to go near them again. I am now going to another dealer that is about 30 minutes farther away but the service is fantastic. I heard many good things about them on this forum so gave them a try and very happy I did. (MB of Escondido)

Trust me, poor service is not just with MB. My last car was a BMW and I got some subpar service from them too.. Its all about the individual dealer and service advisor if you ask me. I would ask around on the forum for dearlers in your area.. you might get some good info on dealer locations and perticular service advisors to talk to..
Old 01-23-2006, 03:06 PM

to raremage

hi, you can check your PM about my C32 for sale with specs,

thanks

Anup
Old 01-23-2006, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
For me, I always aim for KBB's Trade-In Good Condition.... My first offer will always be KBB's Trade-In Poor Condition.... Of course, I do this to a dealer, not private owners (they typically wouldn't go that low anyway). Typically, the car could be gotten between Trade-In good & excellent.

For your reference, Trade-In Excellent is about the same as Private Party Good / Poor.

Back to original topic, $39.9K is too much IMO. $36K is also too much..... I spot an '03 one fully loaded in a local dealership (not private party) couple months ago w/ 42K miles but not starmarked and its condition is OK (no damage whatsoever but previous owner obviously used car wash at gas station a lot - a lot of swirl marks). The asking price was $34K. I'm sure I could've gotten it, if I bid, for around $33K out the door.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Almost a Member!

03' C32 Silver
How much would that be with tax, tag etc... Here in Ga. if you buy from an individual you don't have to pay sales tax... So a car purchased for $34,000 is gonna cost around $37,400 OTD. I hear that other states the buyer has to pay sales tax when they register the vehicle.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
I know it can vary based on many factors, but FWIW as you look for a C32, I got my '02 C32, 33k miles NO COMAND and NO extended warranty, but about 10 months/15k miles left on the original factory warranty for $29.5k in November. I've been taking it in about once a month off of the TSB list and that's working out the minor imperfections all these cars have (mine were seat heater, jerk at 1500rpm, loose front-end, and the campaigns - having them do a glycol test - I have the Veleo radiator, wandering side mirrors and reversing power-window are next month). I only had the car with serious-tires for a couple weeks before putting snow-tires on and man what thrill. I can't WAIT for spring!
Old 01-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32 AMG & Sold: Mazda RX-8
Raremage,

I currently have a C32 and I want to purchase a CLK55 as well. As I have never driven one, how would you compare the two? Remember, I intend to keep my C32 and I would really like to hear your comments on the CLK55.

Thank you,

Joe
Old 01-24-2006, 01:00 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Here in Missouri, everyone except for a dealer pays sales tax when they register the car. It's just under 8% and it does not matter where the car comes from. You do however get a tax credit if you trade or sell a car prior to buying a new one. You have 180 days to use that credit or you loose it. I have a buddy that flips cars like pancakes and always seems to have to buy something so he does not loose his tax credit. I think he had 8 different cars last year! He's currently trying to sell an '02 C5 Corvette and an '02 BMW M5. I don't think he's had either for 3 months yet.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:10 PM

CLA45
Once again, thanks for the feedback. Still chatting back and forth with the dealer.

Along the quality of service one gets from their dealer, this will (if I get it) be my third purchase from MB Orlando, and the third from the same salesman. I have confidence in the level of service I have and most likely will continue to receive. The local BMW dealer, on the oher hand, was a terrible experience for me - I had an M3 in the past and the experience was so bad it was a huge factor in my move to the CLK55 originally. It's frankly tough for me to get past that factor (although I didn't mention that before, I was urged to give another salesman there a chance by a good friend of mine).

I currently have a C32 and I want to purchase a CLK55 as well. As I have never driven one, how would you compare the two? Remember, I intend to keep my C32 and I would really like to hear your comments on the CLK55.
Well, I've only driven the C32 twice so far, so take this for what it's worth: the CLK55 definitely feels like it has more raw power, and a bit more heft or mass than the C32. The C32 feels to me like it will outhandle the CLK55.

Also worth noting is the noticable difference at the low end of the rev cycle - the CLK55 definitely has more there. The C32 (as you know) pulls like mad as the SC winds up. Two great cars with a different approach to the same task - powerful driving with great handling.

If the residual on the CLK had not been so out of whack I probably would have bought it - simply a fantastic car and if you get one I am sure you'll love it!
Old 01-25-2006, 01:21 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32 AMG & Sold: Mazda RX-8
Thank you raremage,

I really appreciate your honest feedback and comparison.

Joe
Old 01-26-2006, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Originally Posted by raremage
Well, I've only driven the C32 twice so far, so take this for what it's worth: the CLK55 definitely feels like it has more raw power, and a bit more heft or mass than the C32. The C32 feels to me like it will outhandle the CLK55.

Also worth noting is the noticable difference at the low end of the rev cycle - the CLK55 definitely has more there. The C32 (as you know) pulls like mad as the SC winds up. Two great cars with a different approach to the same task - powerful driving with great handling.
Get a C55 then..... get C's handling and 55's power
Old 04-24-2006, 03:45 PM

2009 C63 Blk/Blk
Just wanna share my experience of looking for a C32. I have found a 2003 C32 w/ 31k miles, bi-xenon, nav for $33k listed. After what you guys been saying, I guess this one would be a pretty good deal. yea? i wanna jump on it b4 anyone do. its silver!
Old 04-24-2006, 05:42 PM

2002 c32 /////amg
i got mine for 23,999 its a 02 with 60,000. also added a warranty, which brought the price a bout 3k more.