Clearance issues with KW V2 install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 04:33 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
I can't wait either. The one look I had of the car while it was lowered temporarily with the wheels is really motivating me to make this work. I liked the way the car looked and know this will be worth it in the end if it works out.
your ride will definitely be sick
Old 01-25-2006, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT, 2000 BMW 323ci
what's the worst you can do? springs and shocks instead of coilovers?
Old 01-25-2006, 12:32 PM

02 c32
32et w. a 5mm spacer ?
that is like 27et and wouldnt that push your tire way too far out to the fender?

the front was a pain in the *** for me too. i found the magic number to be 31et but your car does look pretty slammed which still might cause problems.

good luck man.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:06 PM

goodluck and hope you can solve the problem soon.

Nico
Old 01-25-2006, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
this is my car with KWV2s...

but I'm running Brabus MB VI's with their wheel specific spacers:

It's just about less than a finger left in the front... I think I might even be able to lower it 1.5 more turns too.

flip
Old 01-25-2006, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBNorCal
what's the worst you can do? springs and shocks instead of coilovers?
Yeah but I would not be happy with the drop in the front. The car will look like a grasshopper unless some coils are cut off. :p

Originally Posted by eglee413
32et w. a 5mm spacer ?
that is like 27et and wouldnt that push your tire way too far out to the fender?

the front was a pain in the *** for me too. i found the magic number to be 31et but your car does look pretty slammed which still might cause problems.

good luck man.
The wheels looked fine when we had it on the car with the 5mm spacer and not terribly bad with the non-hubcentric 10mm either. If we run the 10mm we're going to roll/shave the front fender to be safe. I don't want to run the 10mm spacer if it isn't required so we're going to do our best to make the 5mm work. The picture you see up top is not the actual drop. That was just me screwing around with Photoshop. That's where I would like to have the height but I don't think it's going to happen unless KW comes through with a new design in the very near future.

Originally Posted by carolssoncclass
goodluck and hope you can solve the problem soon.
Thanks. Hopefully lady luck is on our side this weekend. After all it is Chinese New Years.

Originally Posted by mig888
but I'm running Brabus MB VI's with their wheel specific spacers:

It's just about less than a finger left in the front... I think I might even be able to lower it 1.5 more turns too.

flip
What is your offset on the wheels and what size spacer are you running? I want to eliminate that gap completely or am I ?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:57 PM

02 c32
eliminating the gap is dope. i used to do that for all the cars, but i find with the benz, its just too much hassle and causes more problems.
its bad enough that wheels have to deal with clearing the amg caliper and then the shock. i just wanted the best drop i can get, and it seems like 1 to 1.5 finger is about it.
your not crazy !!! i would love to tuck my wheels too, but tires cost a tad more for a benz then a honda.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay, you guys are really going to think I'm but here goes nothing.......

If none of this works I'm going to cut a coil off the top of the spring and move the seat up. Mwahahaha!

I know, I know! It sounds ghetto but it definitely would work. Of course this would be a last resort but it's definitely sounding more like it may happen the more I think about it.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well...it's finally done! Had to raise the car up a little and shave the seat a little bit but no problems now. Thanks to everyone who helped out especially Shane from Harloff BMW and Joe from Group5 Motorsport. Here are some teaser pics for now. Supposed to be doing a photoshoot tomorrow with Dut's M3. Happy New Years everyone!

Old 01-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 c230k
dude....! that turned out sweet. i can't wait to get my on - just order the h&r co's.

let me know if you know someone who can help me out with the LMs - price-wise.

congrats!!!! she looks sweet.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:00 PM

02 c32
that looks so clean !!! great job.
show some pics with dut's car when you get done. I used to drool over his M3.
Both yours and his are clean cars.

don't forget the flat emblem
Old 01-28-2006, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
that looks clean very nice!
Old 01-28-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 CLK63 AMG Black Series, 2022 BMW X3 M40i
That is the perfect drop.

Damn you! I'm jealous now. I'm glad everything worked out. Can't wait to see the photoshoot pics
Old 01-28-2006, 11:40 PM

very nice! looks very clean.

did you end up cutting a coil from the top? did you still use that 10mm spacer?
Old 01-29-2006, 12:10 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
congratz, that car is not HIGH in ride height at all!!! very nice looks perfect.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It turned out better than I expected. Just some minor issues left like minor rubbing in the rear. I'm pretty sure I need to have my fender rolled some more back there on both sides. Other than that the car rides great, better than stock. There is no more harshness.

Originally Posted by ckev
dude....! that turned out sweet. i can't wait to get my on - just order the h&r co's.

let me know if you know someone who can help me out with the LMs - price-wise.

congrats!!!! she looks sweet.
I'll hit up my friend on Monday and see what he can do. Hopefully he can do what I told you.

that looks so clean !!! great job.
show some pics with dut's car when you get done. I used to drool over his M3.
Both yours and his are clean cars.

don't forget the flat emblem
The flat emblem and marker covers are on the way. We need to do the photoshoot soon because his car is "sold" and will be picked up on Feb. 11th.

Originally Posted by MBNorcal
did you end up cutting a coil from the top? did you still use that 10mm spacer?
We did neither. We got it to work with the 5mm spacer (to clear the calipers) and no coils were cut. The clearance is scary close though. I still have about one inch of adjustability in the front but I'm sure I'll have issues with the springs if I go any lower.

congratz, that car is not HIGH in ride height at all!!! very nice looks perfect.
Thanks Frank. It looks even lower when rolling. The back tucks pretty low hence the rubbing issues.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:08 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 c230k
sweet!

pm me when you find out.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:36 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Looks good! Glad it all worked out for you.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Audi 225 TT.w203 sedan.Bmw 318tiCali.Ed.VW Jetta vr6
looks sweeeet. lovin those wheels ! now grab that flat hood badge
Old 01-31-2006, 01:43 AM

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It turned out better than I expected. Just some minor issues left like minor rubbing in the rear. I'm pretty sure I need to have my fender rolled some more back there on both sides. Other than that the car rides great, better than stock. There is no more harshness.

I'll hit up my friend on Monday and see what he can do. Hopefully he can do what I told you.

The flat emblem and marker covers are on the way. We need to do the photoshoot soon because his car is "sold" and will be picked up on Feb. 11th.

We did neither. We got it to work with the 5mm spacer (to clear the calipers) and no coils were cut. The clearance is scary close though. I still have about one inch of adjustability in the front but I'm sure I'll have issues with the springs if I go any lower.

Thanks Frank. It looks even lower when rolling. The back tucks pretty low hence the rubbing issues.

so what did you end up doing to make the front drop and not rub?
Old 01-31-2006, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBNorCal
so what did you end up doing to make the front drop and not rub?
We raised the perch up a tiny bit and shaved off a small section of the perch adjuster (1/8" if that). So far so good.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:48 AM

We raised the perch up a tiny bit and shaved off a small section of the perch adjuster (1/8" if that). So far so good.
I am very glad to see ur project come up with an ideal outlook. Ur car look amazingly hot now! The ride height look perfect and the the LM look awesome.
Btw, what is perch adjuster? I am getting coilover for my car soon too and I am just afraid I might come up with the same issue. Thanks for the help.

Nico
Old 01-31-2006, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by carlssoncclass
I am very glad to see ur project come up with an ideal outlook. Ur car look amazingly hot now! The ride height look perfect and the the LM look awesome.
Btw, what is perch adjuster? I am getting coilover for my car soon too and I am just afraid I might come up with the same issue. Thanks for the help.

Nico
Thanks. The perch adjuster (seat) is the purple section that is circled in the series of pictures. You basically adjust that to set the ride height. What type of coilovers are you getting and how soon?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:51 AM

Thanks. The perch adjuster (seat) is the purple section that is circled in the series of pictures. You basically adjust that to set the ride height. What type of coilovers are you getting and how soon?
Thanks for the help. I will most likely get the H&R coilover because the price is more friendly than the others. I thought of Bilstein pss9 as well but I'm sure those are a lot more expensive. It is nice to have damper adjustment those. How's the cornering on your car now? Once again, your c55 look awesome.

Nico
Old 01-31-2006, 06:41 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by carlssoncclass
Thanks for the help. I will most likely get the H&R coilover because the price is more friendly than the others. I thought of Bilstein pss9 as well but I'm sure those are a lot more expensive. It is nice to have damper adjustment those. How's the cornering on your car now? Once again, your c55 look awesome.

Nico
TEIN actually has the most friendly price among coilover makers. BUT not all people want to put Japanese products on their MBZ.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clearance issues with KW V2 install