C32 Hesitating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 05:56 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by KRob3
Got my car back today. They said the coolant circulation pump was faulty. Is that the same as an Intercooler pump?

Has anyone still experienced this problem after their pump has been replaced? I'm curious if its a one shot deal or if it will be a problem for the life of the car?

Thanks,
Kevin
yes, that's the same pump we're referring to.

some of gone through 2-3 pumps, but last month's visit to the dealership was the first for me in 4 years.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 C32 Black
Thanks for the info Frank. I'm not happy to hear that it may be a constant problem, but at least it sounds like its an easy fix.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankW
yes, that's the same pump we're referring to.

some of gone through 2-3 pumps, but last month's visit to the dealership was the first for me in 4 years.
are you still under warranty? or did you have to pay out of pocket?

anybody know how much is the pump?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:10 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
extended warranty
Old 03-16-2006, 11:52 AM

'03 C32 Black
I am still under warranty so there was no charge. I brought the car to them on Friday and got it back Wednesday. They did give me a loaner so it wasn't too bad.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:42 PM

2003 ML500
So this seems like a fairly common problem? I'm looking to get a used C32 in the next couple months, and I'm afraid one I get may be out of warranty. Anybody know how much the cooler would cost out of pocket? I don't want this to be a dealbreaker for me
Old 03-16-2006, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
about $379. form the dealer I'm not sure where else you can get it
Old 03-16-2006, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by iridium130
So this seems like a fairly common problem? I'm looking to get a used C32 in the next couple months, and I'm afraid one I get may be out of warranty. Anybody know how much the cooler would cost out of pocket? I don't want this to be a dealbreaker for me

my first sporty car was the 01 CL-S white & eboy. Sold it after 3 years.

Love that engine. The pull in 3rd was amazing and the sound of reaching 6900 rmps was really smooth.

Too bad 4th and 5th sucked and nose heavy. Brakes were awful and handling was poor. The seats and interior was top notch!

I can tell you this much, the MB 3.2 is noisy and raw and lacks the lower torque of the Honda 3.2, but the kompressor more than makes up the difference after 2.5k rpms. Anything below, the car drives like a regular 320.

I also owned a G35 sedan, and the torque of the 3.5 is amazing, but higher RPMS is really weak.

If you plan to get a C32, makes sure it has under 60k miles and extended warranty. If it does not have extended warranty, at least get a car fax and have it inspected by MB dealer.

My car is now over the warranty, but it runs like a champ. It has its little flaws, but the is over 4 years old.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:13 PM

2003 ML500
Originally Posted by TopGun32
my first sporty car was the 01 CL-S white & eboy. Sold it after 3 years.

Love that engine. The pull in 3rd was amazing and the sound of reaching 6900 rmps was really smooth.

Too bad 4th and 5th sucked and nose heavy. Brakes were awful and handling was poor. The seats and interior was top notch!

I can tell you this much, the MB 3.2 is noisy and raw and lacks the lower torque of the Honda 3.2, but the kompressor more than makes up the difference after 2.5k rpms. Anything below, the car drives like a regular 320.

I also owned a G35 sedan, and the torque of the 3.5 is amazing, but higher RPMS is really weak.

If you plan to get a C32, makes sure it has under 60k miles and extended warranty. If it does not have extended warranty, at least get a car fax and have it inspected by MB dealer.

My car is now over the warranty, but it runs like a champ. It has its little flaws, but the is over 4 years old.
I *THINK* I remember you from the Acura-TL/CL.com forums??? Either that or someone had a really similar name to yours

After reading through the forums, it seems like the C32 has a lot of tranny problems...something I want to get away from being on my 3rd CL-S transmission.

The fact that the C32 has less low end torque than my CL-S is a bit surprising...but like you said, the Kompressor makes up for it

I'm aiming to pick up an '03 C32 with about ~35,000ish miles. I'm hoping to keep the price at or under $35,000. Does that seem reasonable?

Does anybody know if i don't buy a CPO C32, can I still get a 3rd party extended warranty? Thanks guys
Old 03-17-2006, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
I thinking of going with an after market intercooler pump that has more flow on it! what would be the draw back on doing this I found a pump that might fit.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by iridium130
I *THINK* I remember you from the Acura-TL/CL.com forums??? Either that or someone had a really similar name to yours

After reading through the forums, it seems like the C32 has a lot of tranny problems...something I want to get away from being on my 3rd CL-S transmission.

The fact that the C32 has less low end torque than my CL-S is a bit surprising...but like you said, the Kompressor makes up for it

I'm aiming to pick up an '03 C32 with about ~35,000ish miles. I'm hoping to keep the price at or under $35,000. Does that seem reasonable?

Does anybody know if i don't buy a CPO C32, can I still get a 3rd party extended warranty? Thanks guys
yes you can get a extended warranty, but really costly. Over $2k for sure and as high as $3 or 4k. Call the dealers and negotiate with them, you might find a better deal with them.

The CL-S 3.2 has all the 232lbs torque at 3500 rpms to 5500rpms, the C32 under 2000 rpms feels like a regular engine, not that much of a push. Once the needle passes 2500, hello POWER!

Usually when launching the car, you will never see a power drop off. Its only driving around town and you are crusing where you feel the need for more low end torque. Push the throttle a bit and the kompressor quickly kicks in, push the throttle some more and it downshift pretty quickly.

Don't get me wrong, it does not feel like a CIVIC down low, but it sure does not feel a strong V6. Headers will quickly solve the problem, and even provide more output at the top end, but they are a bit costly.

A pulley and ECU also help to provide more low end torque. Currently just with a pulley, good amount of torque is available at 2k rpms. With a ECU the torque curve will be more flat and also provide a bit more boost to create additional power on top.

Coming from the Acura and Infiniti, the Benz is a confortable as my Acura and handles as well as my Infiniti, but it suffers from a less regid frame. It needs some thicker sway bars.

Good luck on your search.. and yes my name at Acura-TL was JC-Maverick i believe.. i still visit their Automotive News, since they have good sources of information.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:04 AM

C32
Originally Posted by Trekman
I thinking of going with an after market intercooler pump that has more flow on it! what would be the draw back on doing this I found a pump that might fit.
For some of us, the drawback would be that it would void our Starmark warrantees

Otherwise, if you have the money and time to spend on trying it out, you may be doing the C32 world a huge favor. Just make sure it doesn't flow too much more than stock otherwise you may put undue stress on the rest of the S/C system.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Cuz

2002 C32 AMG; 2006 Heritage Softail
Question

Hi,

I am having a similar problem with my C32. It's almost like instead of changing gears it hits the rev limiter and then drops the revs and starts to accelerate really slowly. A few days ago I was driving and it refuse to go fatser than 209km/h - it just sat there almost as if the governor was coming on.

Then it started to kick out of gear. If I am pushing it and then take my foot off the accelerator it shifts down roughly and kicks into neutral - I have to slow down and then it kicks into gear again. Could it be a gearbox problem?

It is fine if I am driving gently but when I push it it misbehaves. Any ideas?
Old 04-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Almost a Member!

'02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Cuz
Hi,

I am having a similar problem with my C32. It's almost like instead of changing gears it hits the rev limiter and then drops the revs and starts to accelerate really slowly. A few days ago I was driving and it refuse to go fatser than 209km/h - it just sat there almost as if the governor was coming on.

Then it started to kick out of gear. If I am pushing it and then take my foot off the accelerator it shifts down roughly and kicks into neutral - I have to slow down and then it kicks into gear again. Could it be a gearbox problem?

It is fine if I am driving gently but when I push it it misbehaves. Any ideas?

i had the exact same problem driving to vegas last weekend...

i would get going at about 80-90mph, and then i would have the pedal to the metal and it would act like there was nowhere to go... it seemed like it was the fastest the car could go...

so if i let go of the gas completely, then stepped on it again, it would downshift and be almost redlining, but not increase in speed whatsoever...

it would do this until it decided not to anymore, then it was fine... but it kept happening maybe 6-10 times throughout the trip (there and on the way back)...

so, i'm going to take it into MB Escondido because MBSD will lie to your face about everything they can so they can get fat bonus checks at the end of the year. (I brought my car in to fix the lock on my gas tank door and they didn't fix it 3 times in a row, the 4th time they finally decided to work on my car I guess...)

is this the intercooler? water pump? i'm not a car guy... i don't know

oh and by the way... i got her up to 143MPH and could have gone higher, but that was fast enough for me...hehe

she felt like a jet, no shaking, just pure and clean; surprisingly quiet. what a gorgeous car.

Last edited by A-Pod; 04-01-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:04 AM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it is the intercooler pump...

my lightning intercooler pump will be here monday and i will install it as soon as i get some time in the next week...i will let you guys know if this is a viable replacement, especially since it was only $90 shipped to my door, much cheaper than the MB part...
Old 04-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Cuz

2002 C32 AMG; 2006 Heritage Softail
Hi,

I think the problem is sorted out. Would you believe it was a radiator failure??? My gearbox oil was leaking through the radiator (which apparently cools the gearbox oil as well) and the gearbox wasn't working properly. They replaced the radiator. I have had the car back for a few days and it seems ok. I will need to go and find a quiet stretch of highway and see if I can get it up to 250km/h.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:06 AM

03 C32 AMG Blk/Blk
another one bites the dust.. I'm bringing my car in for service today..

I've had so many problems with this car.. My seat heaters have died like 3 times, my intercooler blew a leak about a year ago and now this..

I'll update when I get it back..

-Mike
Old 05-01-2006, 11:44 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by doofoo
another one bites the dust.. I'm bringing my car in for service today..

I've had so many problems with this car.. My seat heaters have died like 3 times, my intercooler blew a leak about a year ago and now this..

I'll update when I get it back..

-Mike
sorry to hear that...hopefully they will get it in and out fast for you...
Old 05-13-2006, 08:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Add my car to list

I was out and about minding my own business when a CTS-V pulls aside me. So we get into it when the light turns green. I have him off the line, followed by neck & neck in 2nd gear and then bang!!!! My car just jurked and died when shifting into 3rd. I lost all power in 3rd gear. It felt like I threw a belt or as many have diagnosed, my intercooler pump just died. I basically don't have a 3rd gear. thankfully I do have an extended warranty and will take it in.

BTW, I have 58,000 miles
Old 05-14-2006, 12:46 AM

03 C32 AMG Blk/Blk
Originally Posted by Roseylv
I was out and about minding my own business when a CTS-V pulls aside me. So we get into it when the light turns green. I have him off the line, followed by neck & neck in 2nd gear and then bang!!!! My car just jurked and died when shifting into 3rd. I lost all power in 3rd gear. It felt like I threw a belt or as many have diagnosed, my intercooler pump just died. I basically don't have a 3rd gear. thankfully I do have an extended warranty and will take it in.

BTW, I have 58,000 miles
Exactly the same issue I had.. at 59k too. Just got my car back today and whooped up on a C5 on the highway on my way home from dinner.

-Mike
Old 07-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG
awesome thread. I have about 58,000 on my c32 now and it just started doing the same exact thing. Funny thing is it's an intermittent trouble. Sometimes it won't happen at all sometimes it does. I think it has to do with how hot it is out and how hot the car is running. But anyway at least I know the fix now and even the part number. My car isn 't under warrantly any longer. Anyone know if this can be done by yourself?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by madblznguy
awesome thread. I have about 58,000 on my c32 now and it just started doing the same exact thing. Funny thing is it's an intermittent trouble. Sometimes it won't happen at all sometimes it does. I think it has to do with how hot it is out and how hot the car is running. But anyway at least I know the fix now and even the part number. My car isn 't under warrantly any longer. Anyone know if this can be done by yourself?
Yes this can be done by yourself.. check out this thread if you haven't already ..

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/146457-1fastc32-s-cheep-intercooler-pump-replacement.html
Old 07-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by amgmark
Yes this can be done by yourself.. check out this thread if you haven't already ..

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146457

Amazing that DIY is very good and it sounds very simple...can't wait!!!!!!
Thanks for the link!