C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Window tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:49 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
I went by three tinting shops this morning, and only one had heard of the "moleskin", but had not used it yet. He said that it was a felt strip with adhesive on the back that gets applied to the rubber seal that rides against the inside of the glass. He also said that he would have to remove the door panels to apply it correctly. That added $30 per door for labor to remove and reinstall the door panels. Is this really neccessary???

One of the shops said that he would gaurentee no scratching without the moelskin and if there was a problem, would replace the film and add the felt if needed. This shop does a lot of tinting for the Mercedes dealers here and said that they have had no returns so far.

Are there any window tinting forums out there that I can direct the tinters to??? Prices around here are $235-$255 including sales tax for non metalic material. Is this in the same ball park as other parts of the country?
Old 03-15-2006, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C43
Is this the car you used %20? I got a black car too, and my tint is waaaaay too dark. I believe it is illegal.
Originally Posted by jpog
I have 20% back and sides, right over the dots. I really like the way it turned out.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:05 PM

1999 C43
Yeah, i got the similar prices about $260-$290 I live in South GA

Originally Posted by SteveL1
Prices around here are $235-$255 including sales tax for non metalic material. Is this in the same ball park as other parts of the country?
Old 03-15-2006, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
Originally Posted by SteveL1
I went by three tinting shops this morning, and only one had heard of the "moleskin", but had not used it yet. He said that it was a felt strip with adhesive on the back that gets applied to the rubber seal that rides against the inside of the glass. He also said that he would have to remove the door panels to apply it correctly. That added $30 per door for labor to remove and reinstall the door panels. Is this really neccessary???

One of the shops said that he would gaurentee no scratching without the moelskin and if there was a problem, would replace the film and add the felt if needed. This shop does a lot of tinting for the Mercedes dealers here and said that they have had no returns so far.

Are there any window tinting forums out there that I can direct the tinters to??? Prices around here are $235-$255 including sales tax for non metalic material. Is this in the same ball park as other parts of the country?
Installers who have done this frequently and are familiar with it, do not have to remove the door panels. Roll your window all the way down. insert your finger just below the rubber stripping. You'll feel a strip below that seems kind of rough. This is where the moleskins/synthetic strips/felt will be applied. If your tint shop guarantees scratching without moleskins, be sure that it's disclosed in writing. Don't take a verbal "guarantee". Here in the bay area nor cal, tint for all 5 windows runs +/- $300, $25/window for molekskins.