C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 on the track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 on the track

I'm taking my '06 C55 to the track on May 1st (I miss track days since selling my '00 911). Has anyone put a six point harness in their rides? Who makes a harness bar for it?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:00 PM

'07 E63; 05 C55 gone; '02 C32 gone;1996 SL320;1978 280CE Gone
If you find out let me know. Also, how you would attach it. I had a 3point in my C32, with the harness attached to rear seat belt bolt, and the lap belt attached to the seat bolts on the floor. However, I could not get the lap belt attached to the seat bolts on the C55, so gave up. There is an argument that it may be safer to use the stock belts with the tensioning system and airbags coordinated. There are arguments that the lap belt must be attached to the stock seat belt anchors to be safe. Your comments please.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:12 PM

In my 911 I had a harness bar that bolted to the rear seat belt locations and the front seat attachment locations. The shoulder harnesses tied to the bar and the seat harnesses attached to special anchors that bolted to the existing front seat belt locations. It worked great.

I assumed something similar would exist for the C55. I noticed most folks run the straight line (1/4 mile) instead of actually driving their cars around corners! I'm looking to set mine up for the road track one piece at a time like I did the 911. Start with the safety items then move to tires, suspension and power.

I will try a local shop here in Chicago that I used for the Porsche, they are Kleeman dealers.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Almost a Member!

I would not recommend a harness bar unless it is attached to a full roll cage. I have seen them hurt people in roll over accidents. The seatbelts can compress your spine if they are forced down on your shoulders if the harness bar is moved in awkward positions in a bad wreck. I would take my chances with just buying some racing belts that clip on and replacing the OEM bolts for the seat belt anchors with ones that come with the belts for the car. I will be doing this with some Simpson belts I took out of my last car. I then take out the back seat and attach the shoulder straps to the rear seat belt anchors using new bolts that I can clip into. I then attach the sub belt to the seat bolts on the bottom of the seat in the front. When not is use they just rest under the seat out of view. That way it is 100 stock/street legal at all times, but you can still get straped into the seat nice and snug for track days. Not sure how easy the back seat is to remove, but in my old car it was 2 bolts and a 2 minute job. I also put on my seat belt at the track over my harness as insurance.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:48 PM

'07 E63; 05 C55 gone; '02 C32 gone;1996 SL320;1978 280CE Gone
roadrage: Can you give us some pics of the installation process when you do it? Do you use a 3, 4 or 5 point harness. Where do you attach the antisubmarine belt? I also bolted the shoulder straps to the rear seat belt bolts, with no more than a 45 degree down angle of the belt. This is recommended by one of the harness belt mfgs. I was never able to get into the seatbelt anchors to make the mods you are referring to, so pics would be great.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:04 AM

Roadrage, wow, I have been tracking for four years with a harness bar and have never heard that. Interesting. The back seat in the '06 actually folds forwards and I think can be easily removed.

I own two sets of belts from my 911 days that I hope I can use with the Merc.

First track day is May 1st here is Chitown so need to get this solved quickly.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Almost a Member!

sorry i haven't actually done this on my C55 yet. probably won't for a while. I did all that on my 05 STi. after looking at bolts on side of front seat where belts attach I can see it might be a problem in this car. sorry to get hopes up. but you can try taking the plastic housing around the base of the seat off to expose the bolts.

the sub belt was a V shape, so a 6 point technically. i attached it to the seat using the bolts that the frame attached to the rails on. if i ever get off my lazy bum and do this on my C55 i will post pics.