C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 or a S500??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 07:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 or a S500??

Guys, an acquaintance of mine is in the market to buy a new car and the other day we were sitting in front of the computer and we were checking out cars on autotrader and I noticed that 2001+ S-classes (S430 and S500) are not that far off from the C32's in price. I find this interesting because the MSRP on a S500 is significantly more then the MSRP of a C32.

The AMG versions of the C-Class sedans and CLK coupes have always been my favorite Mercedes because of their combination and luxury, performance, and yet their price is at least somewhat attainable (I mean a hardworking middle-class car nut could afford a C32/C55 if it was his dream car and he saved up for a couple of years, however a Ferrari F430 is not really realistic). Brand new I'd way rather get an AMG C-class over the expensive S-class.

However at the same price-point . . . I'm not that sure. I know the C will be more nimble and all and obviously the S will be more luxurious so they're not exactly aimed at the exact same demographic but it's not that far apart (4 door german luxury sedans with oomph).

What are your opinons? Which one is the better buy?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:02 PM

C32
Originally Posted by Zerostatic
Guys, an acquaintance of mine is in the market to buy a new car and the other day we were sitting in front of the computer and we were checking out cars on autotrader and I noticed that 2001+ S-classes (S430 and S500) are not that far off from the C32's in price. I find this interesting because the MSRP on a S500 is significantly more then the MSRP of a C32.

The AMG versions of the C-Class sedans and CLK coupes have always been my favorite Mercedes because of their combination and luxury, performance, and yet their price is at least somewhat attainable (I mean a hardworking middle-class car nut could afford a C32/C55 if it was his dream car and he saved up for a couple of years, however a Ferrari F430 is not really realistic). Brand new I'd way rather get an AMG C-class over the expensive S-class.

However at the same price-point . . . I'm not that sure. I know the C will be more nimble and all and obviously the S will be more luxurious so they're not exactly aimed at the exact same demographic but it's not that far apart (4 door german luxury sedans with oomph).

What are your opinons? Which one is the better buy?
That's a little surprising, because you really have to look at model year and comparable mileage. The S's and many AMG cars don't hold their value all too well.

The S-class feels much larger and clumsy compared to the C32, but it's much more luxurious. If your priorities are speed and handling, the S class shouldn't even be in the picture. But if you want some space, comfort, and the allure of the MB flagship sedan, go with the S.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
IMO S500 mature persons car (professional or executive), slower, heavy cruiser with power, C32 more fun, aggressive and fast + all the AMG upgrades..

No brainer for me.. C32 but I like to drive fast.. Now the S55 is a different story.. LOL..
Old 04-01-2006, 02:45 AM

2014 E350 Sport, 2015 ML350 4Matic
I am 35, and in the last two years have owned a S500 designo and C55. They are both great cars serving very different purposes. Some days I miss the S500, driving to ATL for example. I just really wanted more sport, however. Either will make you proud to own a MB.

JPOG
Old 04-02-2006, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Apples and oranges.

Not the same cars.