C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

1st to 2nd gear surge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c32 /////amg
1st to 2nd gear surge

New here, just bought a 2002 c32, and noticed that when driving slowly, the shifts from 1st to 2nd gear surges, it would feel like the a slight power surge when the gear shifts if i start off like on a green light slowly. it doesnt happen when i give it some decent gas, but if i just calmly drive off, the 1st to 2nd gears would surge. I do have a extended warranty on it, thank God. im wondering if anyone else had any similar problems like that. i dont notice the surge when i use the tiptronic.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Torque converter jerk at 1500 rpm probably. VERY common (like normal to these cars - not 'normal' as in 'acceptable', just that every 2002 C32 has this bad programming as I understand it). TSB here.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....34&postcount=3

That TSB also details that it COULD be glycol contamination of the tranny - also very common, but it would be less predictable/repeatable.

They will clear your adaptation. If the problem goes away, they will then load the updated software. If it doesn't, they will move onto the glycol test.

The way you describe it, I would almost certainly say you have the so-called 'jerk at 1500 rpm'. For me it was about 1900, but you get the idea. They flash it and you're cool.

...or you'll need a new tranny.

Originally Posted by bViC
New here, just bought a 2002 c32, and noticed that when driving slowly, the shifts from 1st to 2nd gear surges, it would feel like the a slight power surge when the gear shifts if i start off like on a green light slowly. it doesnt happen when i give it some decent gas, but if i just calmly drive off, the 1st to 2nd gears would surge. I do have a extended warranty on it, thank God. im wondering if anyone else had any similar problems like that. i dont notice the surge when i use the tiptronic.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
I'm experiencing this problem too

My car (2002 C32) is actually at the dealership right now waiting to be picked up.
It was sent in yesterday morning with the same complaint mentioned above.
The dealer did the glycol test, and it was negative.
So I'm debating whether I should update the radiator now.
How many of you have the updated radiator?
How much would it cost to replace it?
Old 04-13-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Originally Posted by 17sd
My car (2002 C32) is actually at the dealership right now waiting to be picked up.
It was sent in yesterday morning with the same complaint mentioned above.
The dealer did the glycol test, and it was negative.
So I'm debating whether I should update the radiator now.
How many of you have the updated radiator?
How much would it cost to replace it?
I have not updated my radiator yet, but I'm DEFINITELY going to. It doesn't look too hard a job, and the stealership told me ~$700 installed. They recommended a Behr brand (sp?).

We also had some discussions in a thread about a bigger/higher-performing radiator - what the hell, if you're going to change it anyways? - but that never really want past 'yeah, that'd be cool'.

Post if you find something.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Thanks for the info Bif powell,
I'll definitely post something if I find any new solution for this problem.
While I was at the dealership, I found out that I could get 3 more years of extended warranty for about $3000 CND. I'll seriously consider getting it.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c32 /////amg
awesome, thanks for the help. calling my service advisor today.