C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Resonator Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c32 /////amg
Resonator Removal

has anyone removed their resonator to get deeper sound from their exhaust? if so, im thinking of doing it to my c32, and want some help on how to. and is there any extra parts that i would need to complete the job?
Old 04-15-2006, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
do a search you will find what your looking for.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by bViC
has anyone removed their resonator to get deeper sound from their exhaust? if so, im thinking of doing it to my c32, and want some help on how to. and is there any extra parts that i would need to complete the job?
There are many threads on this topic, including a couple with really detailed diagrams of the location of the resonator.

Here's the condensed version: It is a great, easy mod for the C32, and many people have done it, myself included.

Upsides: Better sound (subjective, but most agree), probably a few HP, lose 10lbs.

Downsides: Slightly louder sound, $50 for the labor, car no longer stock.

Parts: My guy went through like 4 cutting blades trying to cut the resonator off. Otherwise, only a piece of exhaust pipe to replace the resonator. Make sure your welder checks carefully for leaks before handing over the dough.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Good timing, I'm having this done on Tuesday of this upcoming week. Before I take it in, I'm going to get some video inside the car, idling, highway, outside pass-by's, etc... both before and after the res-delete with the conditions as close to the same as I can make them. I'll post it sometime late in the week probably. I'll try and remember to link to it in this thread also.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
It's quick and easy.. Cost me $80.. Guy was done in 15 minutes max. He didn't break any blades. The only part was a piece of SS tubing about 12 inches long.

The sound is more aggressive, and was worth it to me.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by Bif powell
Good timing, I'm having this done on Tuesday of this upcoming week. Before I take it in, I'm going to get some video inside the car, idling, highway, outside pass-by's, etc... both before and after the res-delete with the conditions as close to the same as I can make them. I'll post it sometime late in the week probably. I'll try and remember to link to it in this thread also.
The change in sound is far more subtle than most people think. There is really not much of a diff, except under heavy throttle. My wife dropped me off the other day, and did a pretty hard launch. The car let out a loud "blaaaaaaat" which surprised me.

It would be really cool if you could get ahold of a decibel meter, as I think that a video cam mic is going to have a hard time picking up the difference (except maybe at launch).
Old 04-16-2006, 03:13 PM
SPONSOR

i have been thinking about this as well, just need to find some SS tubing...
Old 04-16-2006, 03:51 PM

Any exhaust shop will have all the all the parts you would need. It is a fairly easy mod
Old 04-16-2006, 04:56 PM

2002 c32 /////amg
i talked to my exhaust shop, they say they can do it for $30, and they said they can reverse it if need be.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
i have been thinking about this as well, just need to find some SS tubing...
You know of any good shops to do it?
Old 04-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Almost a Member!

Had this mod done yesterday at Lou's Custom Exhaust in Boston. So far I love the more aggressive sound.

Next MOD's - Suspension, Audio, and HP
Old 04-23-2006, 09:54 AM

2002 c32 /////amg
Originally Posted by RBMBC32
Had this mod done yesterday at Lou's Custom Exhaust in Boston. So far I love the more aggressive sound.

Next MOD's - Suspension, Audio, and HP
can you post some sound clips?

thanks
Old 04-23-2006, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK320
u think it would help the sound on a clk 320?
Old 04-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Almost a Member!

can you post some sound clips?

thanks
I'll try but I don't think I'll be able to capture the sound. I don't notice it until I accelerate. Its unnoticeable at idle or cruz'n speeds. I really hear it when I shift into 2nd .
Old 04-24-2006, 11:41 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
look what you can find with search.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...+exhaust+video

the video includes sound from C32 with resonator removed.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by Vomit
The change in sound is far more subtle than most people think. There is really not much of a diff, except under heavy throttle. My wife dropped me off the other day, and did a pretty hard launch. The car let out a loud "blaaaaaaat" which surprised me.

It would be really cool if you could get ahold of a decibel meter, as I think that a video cam mic is going to have a hard time picking up the difference (except maybe at launch).
thanks.
can we have someone tells us the difference sounds of C32 and C55 with resonator removal applied? I am tempted now after that RS4 guy showing off his exhaust sound but dont want to screw my stock pipes withour significant sound amplified , nor I want a AMG sounds like a Honda mod one.
cnt
Old 04-26-2006, 08:46 PM

Obsidian E55
Originally Posted by FrankW

And another..... with resonator removed

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=c32&pl=true
Old 04-26-2006, 11:18 PM

AMG Grocery Getter
i wanted to get my resonator remove too but i went to two different shop and both shop said i might lose some low end power because these cars are tuned very well and little change could affect the performance so i decided not to ... anyone have an actual dyno with and without resonator? i had a 330 before and remove the exhuast and with remus exhuast and the car definitely feels like it lost some low end power ... but i don't know if it was because of the resonator removed or the exhuast since i did both at the same time
Old 04-30-2006, 12:39 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by LDNA
i wanted to get my resonator remove too but i went to two different shop and both shop said i might lose some low end power because these cars are tuned very well and little change could affect the performance so i decided not to ... anyone have an actual dyno with and without resonator? i had a 330 before and remove the exhuast and with remus exhuast and the car definitely feels like it lost some low end power ... but i don't know if it was because of the resonator removed or the exhuast since i did both at the same time
a twin-screw supercharged car is not the same as a N/A 330...you will gain torque and HP by allowing the supercharged car to breathe better...how much depends on what you do, but removing the resonator will definitely not hurt the lowend performance of this car...
Old 04-30-2006, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by LDNA
Evosport was able to detect a few HP increase on their dyno from the res removal. I trust their results.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:30 AM

2016 C63s AMG
I was wondering what LDNA decided to do. I am curious about his low end power. i read that these cars(with superchargers) were built with the exhaust for a reason. I have a 2005 c230 sports sedan, it also has the kompressor engine, it came stock with 2.75 diameter exhaust. I was wondering if the Kleemann header and high flow cat is what caused the loss of power in the low end. The high end power is much more noticable now, but I would rather have more torque or at least the torque that was stock. Do you think adding another resonator would bring the car back to factory backprssure recomendations which gave me that torque I miss.

Last edited by pugguy2001; 08-14-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:50 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by pugguy2001
I was wondering what LDNA decided to do. I am curious about his low end power. i read that these cars(with superchargers) were built with the exhaust for a reason. I have a 2005 c230 sports sedan, it also has the kompressor engine, it came stock with 2.75 diameter exhaust. I was wondering if the Kleemann header and high flow cat is what caused the loss of power in the low end. The high end power is much more noticable now, but I would rather have more torque or at least the torque that was stock. Do you think adding another resonator would bring the car back to factory backprssure recomendations which gave me that torque I miss.
by allowing a 4-cyl to breathe better it will lose some torque unless you turn up the boost some to compensate for the added flow...
Old 08-14-2006, 12:34 PM

2016 C63s AMG
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
by allowing a 4-cyl to breathe better it will lose some torque unless you turn up the boost some to compensate for the added flow...
Thats the exact answer I just got from Eaton Superchargers Company. He told me to see how much boost I am getting now and see what Kleemann says I should be getting.(with the header,highflow cat & boost kit) Stock the boost was 11psi, with the Kleeamn boost kit they said it should be 15psi. I felt the difference right from the get go, but now with the header I feel like I lost torque, but you are right I lost the boost. I am going to try and hook up a boost gauge temporarily just to see what boost I am at now.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2006, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Originally Posted by FrankW

thanks for the link.

anyone know what a 'supercharger muffler' is, and how to remove it?

the video in that link makes reference to it.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
resonator removal is a great simple mod. I have it done to my C320. gives the exhaust a lil more throaty note

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Resonator Removal