C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Thinking of buying used C32, is it reliable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 04:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
I suggested this and my dealer won't do it.

Originally Posted by ScottW911
Was your car out of warranty? If is still covered, is this not something that the dealer considers covered? Will a dealer even do an upgrade from an 02 to an 03 software program?
Old 07-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by Bif powell
I suggested this and my dealer won't do it.
How complicated can it be to do this? Isn't it worth the cost to salvage their reputation? Obviously, AMG knew the 02's were broken or they wouldn't have fixed it for 03.

Come on, fix the 02's, MBZ/AMG!
Old 07-19-2006, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Altima
Originally Posted by bganson
^ ^ ^ ^

Base your decision on actual facts and not some stupid comment like this one.

So you would pay $44,000 for a C32 with 42,000 miles on it and no extended warranty, knowing that you're just around the corner from half the issues in post #5?

Ooooooooooooooooookay.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Almost a Member!

I bought a 2005 Porsche Boxter instead with 1 year warranty and 5,000 miles.
Maybe not as powerfull as the C32, but in the turns is amazing!!

Im very happy with it.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by drallafi
So you would pay $44,000 for a C32 with 42,000 miles on it and no extended warranty, knowing that you're just around the corner from half the issues in post #5?

Ooooooooooooooooookay.
Yes, every single car is exactly the same. For instance, mine came with a naked stripper in the back seat. Based on that comment I think anyone and everyone should run out and buy a C32.

Get the point??
Old 07-25-2006, 11:35 PM

Altima
Yes, every single car is exactly the same. For instance, mine came with a naked stripper in the back seat. Based on that comment I think anyone and everyone should run out and buy a C32.

Get the point??

Umm, actually... not really.

I'm not being faceticious... I really don't get it. All of the people I know with C32's (myself and 4 others) have had 80% - 100% of the issues in post #5. 3 are 2002's, 2 are 2003's, and all started at about the 45k mark. I think it's an excellent guide to what someone can expect out of this car.

Also, reliability issues aside, $44,000 for this car at this mileage is downright insane.

Last edited by drallafi; 07-26-2006 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:58 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 C32 AMG
All cars have problems, this is why there are mechanics all over the world. You can find a list of **** for any car out there and it doesn't make it a bad car to own, it just makes it a car. If you can't afford to fix the car after the warranty has expired then don't drive/whine about it.

By the way, since you are stuck on the whole $44000 thing perhaps you should also note that this person has to deal with an import tax and this is not the base asking price of the car.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:04 AM

C230K, downgrade :(
Sounds like this car is legit, be sure to take test drive first, no scheduled time.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:25 AM

2002 c32
'Afford' (money) has nothing to do with it. I can 'afford' to replace the entire car one piece at a time if need be - what I can't 'afford' is to take 'time' out dealing with these issues. Honestly, it's not even really MB's fault (although I view some of their actions as deliberately screwing us to avoid high-costs (the Valeo radiator should be a recall, the jerk at 1500 rpm should be a recall), mostly it's the dealerships. For myself, I'm never going to my dealer again - I'm going to hook up with a local skilled mechanic I can trust - I will probably pay twice as much for these guys (Donnybrooke, western Mpls Suburbs) but it will be done right and I won't get the "we drove it, it's fine, have a nice day" BS. This is for MN, in other areas there may be more SAs who know more about AMGs than in my area.

All cars have problems, this is why there are mechanics all over the world. You can find a list of **** for any car out there and it doesn't make it a bad car to own, it just makes it a car. If you can't afford to fix the car after the warranty has expired then don't drive/whine about it.

By the way, since you are stuck on the whole $44000 thing perhaps you should also note that this person has to deal with an import tax and this is not the base asking price of the car.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:09 AM

Altima

I'm pretty sure the thread title is "Is it reliable?" I think I've answered that question. I know you're hung-up because "how could someone dare speak poorly of my coveted MB", but face it... this car has major problems. I've owned several cars that had 0 mechanical or electrical failures (yes, zero). The C32 isn't one of them. And, $44,000 is $44,000. I'm not sure why it matters that 30% of that goes to the Costa Rican govt. It still needs to be paid.

Last edited by drallafi; 07-27-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 C32 AMG
I'm pretty sure the thread title is "Is it reliable?" I think I've answered that question. I know you're hung-up because "how could someone dare speak poorly of my coveted MB", but face it... this car has major problems. I've owned several cars that had 0 mechanical or electrical failures (yes, zero). The C32 isn't one of them. And, $44,000 is $44,000. I'm not sure why it matters that 30% of that goes to the Costa Rican govt. It still needs to be paid.
You get used to a 30% tax just like you get used to paying over $3 at the pump. If that doesn't help then think of it this way, it's just like paying $2300/mo for a loft in downtown SF, it's insane to everyone who lives outside of SF.

If this point is so hard to ram home I can see why you still own a car you hate so much. LOL
Old 07-27-2006, 05:11 PM

Altima
If this point is so hard to ram home I can see why you still own a car you hate so much. LOL

335i isn't out yet.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 ML270 CDi
Drive over some bumps, it will feel a little loose up there and in the wheel - make them repair that.
Bif - Thanks for an excellent post.

I think I have these same symptoms but my dealer has been unable to find a problem. Replaced anti-rollbar bushes IIRC but no change. What caused the problem you mentioned above, how was it fixed, and what was replaced/adjusted?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:41 PM

2002 Mercedes C32
C32 Reliability

Fellas!! The question was is the car reliable?! Mine is an '02 with 40K miles and it has been trouble free since bought new at 25K miles. I hope I don't have the trouble detailed in this thread.

If the window and sunroof express switches are going the wrong way, or not working right, they can be re-set. Hold them in their NON-express mode when they are all the way down (The first detent on the switch.) for 5 seconds - don't rush it, and they re-set to factory. After I let my battery completely die, my windows were all goofy. A MB service manager came out and fixed them in about 5 minutes with this technique.

Buy the car - you won't regret it!
Old 07-28-2006, 10:17 AM

Altima
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler
Bif - Thanks for an excellent post.

I think I have these same symptoms but my dealer has been unable to find a problem. Replaced anti-rollbar bushes IIRC but no change. What caused the problem you mentioned above, how was it fixed, and what was replaced/adjusted?

Sounds like control arm bushings.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:08 AM

2003 C32
For the jerk at 1500 rpm - drive the car very slowly, so that your rpms are very low after it shifts into second (under or around 1500). Continue on the slow acceleration (sometimes you need it to be REALLY slow, but on my car, I'm getting the jerk at increasingly higher acceleration rates). You might also find that it's more pronounced if you put it in winter mode (W on the shifter plate - it will show W in the instrument cluster). If you have that (and it will really - it almost feels like a shift sometimes, so count the gears off as it accelerates)
What is the cause of this exactly? I think I have felt something similiar - usually at higher speeds, like a split second of the clutch slipping.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:00 AM

2002 c32
At higher speeds, this won't be you. At higher speeds I would suggest intercooler pump failure.

This 'jerk at 1500 rpm' issue is cause by incorrect adaptation of the torque converter - meaning they farked up programming the highly advanced and very high-quality speedshift transmission.

Fix is an '03 or better TCU. For your higher speed thing, depending on how severe it is for you, I would think the IC pump. If it's only very slight, might just be going in and out of 5th?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:27 AM

2003 C32
Fix is an '03 or better TCU. For your higher speed thing, depending on how severe it is for you, I would think the IC pump. If it's only very slight, might just be going in and out of 5th?
In what appears to be pure coincidence and murphy's law, I believe my IC pump just failed last night. Heard an odd snapping fizzling sound, muffled behind the glove compartment while driving home. Subsequently. there was none of the supercharger rumble when revving and could tell the car was feeling... sluggish.

Car is at the 42500 mile mark.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Man, I don't know either on of you guys but drallafi isn't too far off

Ooooooooooooooooookay.
Exactly!

Also, reliability issues aside, $44,000 for this car at this mileage is downright insane.
Right again

Get the point??
Honestly, is that the best argument you could come up with? Its like when my mom would say "If Billy jumped off a bridge..."
I agree, again! Regardless of where the money eventually goes, you have to add that to the purchase price of the vehicle so in a sense, it is what you're paying for the thing.
If that doesn't help then think of it this way, it's just like paying $2300/mo for a loft in downtown SF, it's insane to everyone who lives outside of SF.

You really should of said in Oregon. $2300 is pretty cheap for SF and its dirt cheap in my town but thats besides the point. I really put that in there to show the trend you've set...nice hat trick!

I will be a bit more sensitive giving my opinion about our beloved C32's because we're in a Mercedes forum...A place where there are no better cars, no faster cars and certainly no more reliable cars other than Mercedes-Benz.

I'm certain I am not alone when I say that this car is far from being categorized as reliable. It's a great car when things are working but there are too many small problems that nag me as an owner, just about everyone at my dealer knows me by name because I've been there so damn much. I've had my car for two years and its spent more than 60 days in the shop. I have a whopping 22k miles on my car, its never been tracked or abused but it has had a good amount of the problems that Bif described above and then some (I've gone through more control arm bushings than I care to count) Technically, I bought the car new as it was never registered or used as a demo but the dealer started the warranty on an presumed delivery that never took place.

So my answer to motoadve, if he is still wondering, is NO - the C32 isn't a reliable car nor is it remotely worth $44k regardless of how much goes to your money hungry government.

PS- If the car is used and already in Costa Rica, why are they double taxing the car? I assume the original owner already paid the import taxes so why would you need to pay it again?
Old 10-22-2006, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
Reliability is subjective, since there seems to be an array of experiences on various cars and various models/mfg.

If you want an extremely reliable car, don't buy an Audi, BMW or Mercedes.

Most reliable cars are very boring. A Toyota Camry is pretty reliable, but not very interesting. The Lexus is not very exciting. I don't have any interest in Buick.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....e&aff=national

As for problems on my 2003 C32 (now 37k miles), which don't seem too bad:

problems under warranty..................
1.) window motor on driver side failed at 28k mi.
2.) IC pump failed at 30k mi.
3.) Front thrust arm bushings & sway bar bushings replaced at 25k mi.
4.) Two recall ECU flashes (trnasmission and emission air pump).

Other stuff, not warranty:
1.) two sets of rear tires, wornout & replaced.
2.) One set front disk brake pads.

Last edited by m444; 10-22-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by m444
Reliability is subjective, since there seems to be an array of experiences on various cars and various models/mfg.

If you want an extremely reliable car, don't buy an Audi, BMW or Mercedes.

Most reliable cars are very boring. A Toyota Camry is pretty reliable, but not very interesting. The Lexus is not very exciting. I don't have any interest in Buick.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....e&aff=national

As for problems on my 2003 C32 (now 37k miles), which don't seem too bad:

problems under warranty..................
1.) window motor on driver side failed at 28k mi.
2.) IC pump failed at 30k mi.
3.) Front thrust arm bushings & sway bar bushings replaced at 25k mi.
4.) Two recall ECU flashes (trnasmission and emission air pump).

Other stuff, not warranty:
1.) two sets of rear tires, wornout & replaced.
2.) One set front disk brake pads.
Don, nicely said. I believe you have hit the nail on the head. Everything about our cars is subjective. Why else would anyone spend that much money on a C class benz? The C32 is a very visseral (sp.) car. We love them for the way they make us feel. A few problems won't stop me from enjoying the vehicle.