Mp3 for C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Mp3 for C55

My C55 does not come with DVD nagv command, and it does not support MP3 CD playback. I seen 2006 C55 spec it seems it supports MP3 CD playback. Wonder anyone has considered to retrofit the 2006 audio system to their C55?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
There are a couple of alternatives to changing the NAV head unit for MP3 play. First would be to install a new 6 disk changer for about HK$ 3000 that has MOST connections and MP3 playback. The downside is that not all MP3 burned on a home computer play properly.

The second choice is to install an AUX input cable. This cable is about HK$ 300. and gives a stereo mini jack in the left side of the glovebox (opposite for LHD cars) You can then use an Ipod or other MP3 player and enjoy the full fidelity of the cars speaker system. This is my favorite solution, since any miniplug audio source can be used. Laptop, camcorder, Walkman, ect. will sound fine.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
How do we go about installing the 2nd solution? I do not have NAV either.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by Moviela
There are a couple of alternatives to changing the NAV head unit for MP3 play. First would be to install a new 6 disk changer for about HK$ 3000 that has MOST connections and MP3 playback. The downside is that not all MP3 burned on a home computer play properly.

The second choice is to install an AUX input cable. This cable is about HK$ 300. and gives a stereo mini jack in the left side of the glovebox (opposite for LHD cars) You can then use an Ipod or other MP3 player and enjoy the full fidelity of the cars speaker system. This is my favorite solution, since any miniplug audio source can be used. Laptop, camcorder, Walkman, ect. will sound fine.
i m using a Belkin cigarete lighter adaptor with aux cable to connect ipod to my e90 , works ok. My RHD C55 issue is the glovebox has a cd changer inside and I think it blocks the aux jack port! I probbaly need to have someone remove the cd changer and be able to plug a cable to it.

tks
t
Old 07-19-2006, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is a link for installing the second solution. Prior to buying the cable, push and hold the CDC button on the Head Unit for more than a second. The display should say "AUX IN ACTIVE". This means the cable will work.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/81978-diy-setting-up-aux-input-ipod-mp3-player-etc.html

In RHD cars, the jack mounts on the left side of the glovebox, and the cable plugs into the left sill.

Last edited by Moviela; 07-19-2006 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Here is a link for installing the second solution. Prior to buying the cable, push and hold the CDC button on the Head Unit for more than a second. The display should say "AUX IN ACTIVE". This means the cable will work.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81978

In RHD cars, the jack mounts on the left side of the glovebox, and the cable plugs into the left sill.
THANK YOU.

A year ago I read the similar thread and nevr completely understood why we need to buy a cable and why MB did not wire up this portion for the AUX. And why the AUX jack is hidden ? At that time, I was never into iPOD so I did not study this any further but just to burn mp3 to audio cd format for playback in the car. But this way, the CD-Rs have been piling up and I had a hard time to look for the ones I wanted.

Now I am pretty get used to listen to my iTunes database music at nite and upload my desired playlists to the iPOD so that I can listen to my picks in the morning when I am driving to work. ( my iPOD database has 200Gb songs)

I hate to be mean, and I really dont want to order the cable and then find out something else is missing. What I will do, first I will look for aux jack. My glovebox is on the left and the cd changer is fixed on the right most inside the glovebox. So the aux jack should be on the left side of the glovebox. ok.
And then, I should be looking for the female prewired plug from my left sill.
As I am not quite a car DIY guy, not sure I am clear how easy is to open the sill and put it back in? If I verify everyhting is there, I will go and order the cable.

If this whole damn thing works, it will save me a lot of money for any alternatives. Please help checking my procedure.

t

Last edited by cntlaw; 07-20-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
thx for the link for the detailed instruction, before i start rip things apart, would this installation work on right hand drive '02 C32 with sat nav?

Trending Topics

Old 07-20-2006, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi AMGV6K,

I am new to Benz, and don't own anything older than an 05. I am not familar with the OZ cars, but first check for a CDC button, and see if you get message on the screen "AUX INPUT ACTIVE" If you don't have that capability, the pre-wiring for the AUX jack is not there, because there is no input to the COMAND. That said, there are some COMANDS that can be modified for aux input. It usually means making a harness that connects to the back of the COMAND, or eliminating the cassette player, using it's input for an Ipod.

Hi cntlaw,

Mercedes made this an option on C class so the dealers could make some money by installing the jack. To look for the connector in the left side sill area, you need to remove the kick plate on the left side of the footwell. There is a screw near the center that is covered with an oval shaped plastic plug. Be sure to remove this screw first. The other screws are visible. The connector is white plastic. There are a number of wires in the sill area, you might need to dig them out to find the audio connector. Start looking in the middle of the door and then forward. It should be in there someplace.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Thanks! I have checked the hidden AUX jack, though I did not open it up, the 'circle' is there. Friend of mine suspects that the cabling is already 'there'. I really can't tell unless I open up the sill and see if the female plug is there with or without a cable connected.
The reason of this friend's guess, is my C55 comes with AUDIO 50 , not AUDIO 20 which some of you may have.
Therefore, I don't have a CDC button on my headunit panel (for test out that message you mentioned ) but a MENU showing an AUX selection. See photos I just took.
Anyhow, I will have to plug a iPOD into it to test if that AUX jack is really connected or not.
cnt
Attached Thumbnails Mp3 for C55-dsc00083_resize_resize.jpg   Mp3 for C55-dsc00085_resize_resize.jpg  

Last edited by cntlaw; 07-21-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Hi

Come to your suggested first option, I am curious how come I only need to change the disk changer and not the headunit? I am eager to know whether this option means I can still see the song title on the headunit display if I play a CD of MP3 files? ( reminded that I dont have command and Nav.,so I think my headunit display is not the same , much smaller )

t
Old 07-22-2006, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You do have an Audio 50. The AUX soft key will connect to the rear cable.

I believe the newer MOST changers can pass the title to the HU (head unit) and to the MFD (Multifunction Display in the instrument cluster.), on CD audio. I am not sure how the changer reads and passes the title info from an MP3. The reading and converting the data from the MP3 is done in the changer. It then sends the audio signal via fiber optics to the power amp. The data information can be read by the HU, but I have not tried the new changers to know if they pass this data to the screen and the MFD.

I am not sure that the part number for HK MOST changer is the same as USA. I found that the Aux in cable had a slightly different part number in Malaysia, so it might be slightly different in HK too.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
You do have an Audio 50. The AUX soft key will connect to the rear cable.

I believe the newer MOST changers can pass the title to the HU (head unit) and to the MFD (Multifunction Display in the instrument cluster.), on CD audio. I am not sure how the changer reads and passes the title info from an MP3. The reading and converting the data from the MP3 is done in the changer. It then sends the audio signal via fiber optics to the power amp. The data information can be read by the HU, but I have not tried the new changers to know if they pass this data to the screen and the MFD.

I am not sure that the part number for HK MOST changer is the same as USA. I found that the Aux in cable had a slightly different part number in Malaysia, so it might be slightly different in HK too.

Thanks for reply. I agree so.

About the cd changer, I only know my E90 cd changer can play MP3 audio CD and the Mp3 files directories and titles will show up on the headunit display for scrolling. Based on this, I believe the concept is similar to a Home Audio CD player which can read/display a normal Audio CD with CD TEXT. From the CD Changer, the TEXT data might be mutiplexed with the analogue audio stream ( DAC is done in the CD Changer as I agree with you) and get sent to the headunit. If not multiplexed, ther will be another digital signal cable in addtion to the analogue audio output cable connected from the cd changer to the headunit. I will explore further.

A quick last question is , look like I still need to buy the aux cable and follow the DIY procedure to enable the AUX in?

t

t
Old 07-22-2006, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would buy the cable for AUX IN. I have it in both my cars, and it works with any analog signal, MP3, Walkman, PC, Palmtop, Cell phone, dictation machine, camcorder, and scanner radio. It only takes about half an hour to install it, even if you have never done it before.

The Mercedes CD changer does not have an analog signal output. The signals are all sent on the MOST bus fiber optic connection. The audio and control signals all travel on the fiber to the head unit or the amplifier. The signals for the MFD travel first to the head unit on MOST, then use the CANBUS to be sent to the display in the instrument cluster. CANBUS is a two wire serial bus.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
I would buy the cable for AUX IN. I have it in both my cars, and it works with any analog signal, MP3, Walkman, PC, Palmtop, Cell phone, dictation machine, camcorder, and scanner radio. It only takes about half an hour to install it, even if you have never done it before.

The Mercedes CD changer does not have an analog signal output. The signals are all sent on the MOST bus fiber optic connection. The audio and control signals all travel on the fiber to the head unit or the amplifier. The signals for the MFD travel first to the head unit on MOST, then use the CANBUS to be sent to the display in the instrument cluster. CANBUS is a two wire serial bus.
Thanks. Possible to see a photo how mp3 song titles displayed on the instrumental panel?
t
Old 07-24-2006, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't have a CD changer at all. My understanding from the radio repair shop is that the 2006 CD changers can also read MP3's, but I have not tried one. I had an 06 last month as a loaner, but never even thought to try a MP3 in the changer.