C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Very odd "whumping" sound from under the dash.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Damn!

I'm driving my C32, this morning, for about 5 minutes when, Thump!.....Thump! from the right side of the dash. I immediately recognize the sound as the POS stepper motor linkage.

When I had this replaced at the end of '06, I thought I had been told that MB was replacing the crappy $.25 piece of plastic with an improved design. NOT!

So, now I am dealing with the ongoing pogo door lock, the creaking front bushings and, now, the thumping dashboard.

All in all, about $1800-$2000 in repairs by my estimate.

Today, I hate my car. Updates to follow.
Arrived home last night feeling penniless after having paid my property and estimated quarterly state/federal taxes.
Could have almost bought a clean C55 with those three checks.
Hoping for a little sympathy from the Mrs., instead she exclaims “the car is making funny noises!”

Idler pulley? Another fender liner snagged on a parking partition? Broken header? No such luck; it’s the stepper motor's linkage.
Going to invest a day during the holiday lull to attempt a DIY.
Should that prove unsuccessful, she’ll be sporting a lovely Camry or Accord from CarMax in 2011.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by splinter
Arrived home last night feeling penniless after having paid my property and estimated quarterly state/federal taxes.
Hoping for a little sympathy from the Mrs., instead she exclaims “the car is making funny noises!”

Idler pulley? Another fender liner snagged on a parking partition? Broken header? No such luck; it’s the stepper motor's linkage.
Should that prove unsuccessful, she’ll be sporting a lovely Camry or Accord from CarMax in 2011.
Yea, I hear you. Happened to me too a couple years ago. DYI is very time consuming. Dealers typically charge $500-1000 depending on which motor is bad. Independent shop might do it cheaper.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
a land yacht.
If you have the right tools and know what you're doing, the job of replacing a stepper motor isn't too difficult. I should have done a DIY when I replaced mine!!
The only trouble is getting to the screws, but when you take off the center part of the dash/ navigation or radio it's right there if I remember right. We had to replace mine along with one of those little arms that connect to another one. Took about 30 mins
Old 12-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by splinter

Sorry to hear about the car...and the taxes.

I'm currently living with the stupid "thump" of the busted linkage for now. With the expenses of the holidays and...taxes...I figure it will just become white-noise soon. After all, it does stop after about a minute or so.

Please don't do something rash, like purchasing a Camry. Remember, friends don't let friends drive Toyotas (especially lame ones.).