C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Removal of rear hatshelf to access sub

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removal of rear hatshelf to access sub

If I remove the rear hatshelf (to access the sub)- I have read that i need to also remove the c-pillars (in addition to the seats, etc). There is an SRS tag (under it is an odd bolt) on each c-pillar. Curious if removing the bolt/cpillar will cause issues with the airbag or if i am safe to still remove.

Thank you.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
You will have no issues with the SRS, but I strongly recommend a battery disconnect before any work of this type.

The C-pillar cover is held down by a Torx bolt, so you will need a Torx socket set. (about $6.00 at any auto store)

Carefully pry off the SRS emblem and let it hang by its thether and use the torx socket to loosen the bolt.

Along w/ removing the seats (not necessary if you having folding rear seats), you will also need to loosen the inside weatherstripping near the C-pillars.

With the weatherstrip out of the way, remove the side seat bolsters (yes, even with folding seats). Then remove the C-pillar covers, the shelf, and voila, you are at the sub!

This process will be a lot more difficult if you have the rear sun shade, as you'll have to loosen the shade bolts from inside the trunk and make sure to disconnect the wiring before pulling the shelf out. For folding rear seats, also make sure to disconnect the release mechanism in the trunk. Open your trunk and look for two black covers that hide the mechanism.

Hope that helps.