C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 AMG seriously down on power!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG Estate
C32 AMG seriously down on power!!

Hoping somebody might have had the same problem and can shed some light on a very embarrassing situation, picture the scene, drive round a slow corner, accelerate and nothing, try kick down, nothing, it's as if the car locks itself into 3rd gear and won't change down into the appropriate gear (almost like a safe mode). Had it into the garage and they plug it into the diagnostic stuff - no error codes at all. They test drove it and it behaved as it should, I asked them to drive it again and yes they witnessed the same problem, however as it's not showing any error codes they don't know where to start and are therefore not interested. Same old problem the cars out of warranty and a serious lack of experts over here in the UK! Hoping somebody can shed some light - cheers.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
How many miles/kilometers do you have on your C32? Were the temperatures hot when you experienced this problem. If you have passed ther 40,000 mile mark, you might be having intercooler pump failure.

Read this thread and see if it describes what you are experiencing. https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...tercooler+pump

You might want to search this forum for "intercooler pump". You'll be amazed at the number of threads going on this topic. Mine went out last month. No codes were thrown the first visit to the dealer. Second time it had thrown the code needed to prove my point. Good Luck.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
It is likely the intercooler pump. The car shuts the blower off when intake temps become to high. It could also be that the intercooler is leaking and has become covered in dried coolant.

For sure get the pump replaced but might want to peek down the intake runners and see if its covered in a yellowish crusty mess.

There is no mile requirement for intercooler pump failures. I have had them die in 1k miles or less so if you car is young it still likely needs a new pump.

You can check this with a data logger by watching the intake temps. They will reach 199 (255 degrees on the 2002 C32's and 199 on 2003-2004 cars) and the car will shut the blower off until they fall back to 155 degrees.

Good luck