C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Headlight website..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight website..

So I have been looking for a solution for my 2002 C32, and trust me I have read everything I can about Depo, factory xenon, non xenon, gutting, ...and so on. Frankly, I am utterly bamboozled!! So I basically want the clear look for my lights, but want to keep the auto leveling. I dont think I am going to be able to do this. Does anyone know why this is?? I am really trying to stay away from the ebay lights, but I keep finding them everywhere. I want xenon, and my current lights have xenon. I love the light dispersment. I have so much visibility with these stock lights. I wouldnt change them unless for the fact that there just plain ugly. So here is a website I came across tonight ::

http://mb.parkplacestores.com/meccllehe.html

does anyone know if these are el cheapo ??

another question, Can I not just buy the depos and swap only the lens?? so that the entire system stays the same, exept for the foggy glass??

thanks guys,
Regards,
Corey L.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:34 AM

Black 2002 C32 AMG
hmmm? I am a lil lost. I have a 02 and went with Depo clear lights and love them. They are xenon bulbs but are not self leveling. I guess I didn't get that option in my car? If you have any questions please PM me just in case I dont see this thread again.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:23 PM

dont know it for fact

I dont know it for fact, but I have read in other posts that the depo lights are of lesser quality. I have not seen one in person, so I guess I can not speak with certainty. Did you transplant your oem ligts into the depo housing?? and how is your light coverage??

regards,
Corey
Old 08-25-2006, 03:06 AM

Black 2002 C32 AMG
The depos I had on my other car were 100% just as good as factory. These are 98% exact like the stocks front and back. They took the factory bulbs and plug as it they were OEM. The light coverage is the same if not better because the lens is clear and not frosted.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
So with the lights in this link, I remove my old assemblies, take out the xenon bulbs, put them in these clear assemblies and install the whole thing? I will loose auto-leveling, but otherwise they will work well?

Just trying to wade through it all as well.

Originally Posted by Sounder
So I have been looking for a solution for my 2002 C32, and trust me I have read everything I can about Depo, factory xenon, non xenon, gutting, ...and so on. Frankly, I am utterly bamboozled!! So I basically want the clear look for my lights, but want to keep the auto leveling. I dont think I am going to be able to do this. Does anyone know why this is?? I am really trying to stay away from the ebay lights, but I keep finding them everywhere. I want xenon, and my current lights have xenon. I love the light dispersment. I have so much visibility with these stock lights. I wouldnt change them unless for the fact that there just plain ugly. So here is a website I came across tonight ::

http://mb.parkplacestores.com/meccllehe.html

does anyone know if these are el cheapo ??

another question, Can I not just buy the depos and swap only the lens?? so that the entire system stays the same, exept for the foggy glass??

thanks guys,
Regards,
Corey L.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 151 Posts
99 E320
the lights sold by parkplace are not HID. some bulbs may be sold as Xenon if
they are xenon injected, but they are *not* HID which is a different beast
altogether.

do not think of giving up any HID system for this halogen clear lens. you will
lost 50-75% light output in the process.

you may benefit by trading your OEM halogen reflector system for this halogen
clear lens reflector system. but, if you'll rule out any possibility of being able to
upgrade the parkplace clear lens to HID since such retrofits are made with
projector based (vs this reflector based) system.

....though for many, the tradeoff is acceptable because of the upgrade in
outwardly appearance from fluted lens to clear lens.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:32 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by raymond g-
the lights sold by parkplace are not HID. some bulbs may be sold as Xenon if
they are xenon injected, but they are *not* HID which is a different beast
altogether.

do not think of giving up any HID system for this halogen clear lens. you will
lost 50-75% light output in the process.

you may benefit by trading your OEM halogen reflector system for this halogen
clear lens reflector system. but, if you'll rule out any possibility of being able to
upgrade the parkplace clear lens to HID since such retrofits are made with
projector based (vs this reflector based) system.

....though for many, the tradeoff is acceptable because of the upgrade in
outwardly appearance from fluted lens to clear lens.
so HID, ( high intensity discharge) is r is not xenon?? If they are the same, then what you are saying is that I should not upgrade to clear lens due to the loss of light performance?

If I had stock hologens then it would be easy to upgrade to the clear style look. right?

So is there a clear look for our c32 with xenon???
Old 08-25-2006, 11:54 AM

Black 2002 C32 AMG
Sounder I am sorry for the confusion but I have halogen bulbs and not xenon from the factory in my now Depo clear lens headlights. I was thinking about spending the $300 to put HID low beams in them but haven't yet.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have factory Xenon's (single). I would just love having bixenons, but jeez $1200 is a LOT to spend for just something cosmetic. Just think - $1500 will get you a pair of Evosport ceramic-coated headers!
Old 08-28-2006, 01:44 AM

emailed Zam

So I didnt get much reply with this post.. so I emailed a guy who I thought would know the most about the light situation and could nail down some specifics. This is what I got back...

option one: could go with a oem mercedes upgrade and that = lots of cash

Option two: Do a project and get all the parts. So this is what I need

1. Buy aftermarket set (ebay) $350
2. Get a pair of projectors from from Acura TSX or Honda S2000 200$
3. Get a pair of D2S bulb (my c32 bulbs are D2R, wont work) 80$
4. Get a pair of xenon ballast (could use your own from c32)

Note: auto leveling will not be available after this upgrade. bummer.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:29 PM

found some with auto leveling

Found some depo projectors with auto leveling support. Just plug in the vaccume line and your set. Thats good.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
were these Depos new stock...or new old stock? i seem to recall that they made some with HID upgradability...including auto height adjust, but ceased production due to low demand or some such. hope they are still making them.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I have been having the exact same problem and I can't get a straight answer anywhere. I have same car and same lights as you. I'm about to just say screw it and sell my stock ones on ebay and get a new OEM set from the dealership. Of course there isn't a way to just replace the stinkin lenses...it has to be the entire assembly...
If you come up with a cheap way to make this work please let us know and post some pics. The lenses alone make me wish I would have just jumped on an '03 in the first place.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
How about this one? CLICK HERE
Says it still has the auto leveler and is compatible with D2R, which is the same as our stock xenon lights, correct? If I'm understanding this I should be able to put my stock xenon lights in this housing and still have the auto leveling feature with HID?
Old 08-29-2006, 08:50 PM

that link you posted above is the part I am particularly talking about, this guy lives around the corner from me, so I ahve contacted him and am going to go look at them tonight. He says that it supports auto leveling. So, I will go take a look. He wants 500$ for them, and he was charging an arm and a leg for shipping that is why I contacted him to see if he was trying to scam. I still think you can get the best buy paying 375 for the depo units, then getting your own projector from a acura TSX or honda s2000 and getting the D2S bulb with xenon balast and be set. Install those 3 items in your newly bought depo units and your set, but you will loose auto leveling this way, comes to around 600$ and it will be real good. If these are legit that this guy is selling "bmparts" then I might get these and put the stock D2R bulbs in and be on my way. I dont know. I will post what I find out.

regards
Old 08-29-2006, 11:48 PM

If you are interested in upgrading your headlights to xenons, I HIGHLY recommend you go with a projector setup. Retrofitting HIDs into a reflector based housing can cause glare to oncoming drivers and will not correctly focus the HID beam.

We will be carrying OEM quality projector based headlights, much like we already do for BMW's, for the W203's within a few weeks. Stay tuned as these will offer a full lifetime warranty, plug and play installation and full support should you run into any issues. Unfortunately they will not autolevel as this requires extensive wiring including running sensors to the suspension.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
Though the picture in the ad is of a projector, the bulb holder is apparently sized
for D2R (designed for a HID reflector) or an H7. so something is defnitely
screwy here.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:12 PM

The one shown in the ad posted above are of a projector style, and it is fitted for H7 bulbs. But that does not stop you from getting a xenon kit and upgrading that. D2R xenon bulb should fit into an H7 socket...but thats not confirmed. That is what the guy told me last night at walmart when I went and meet him to see the lights.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
yes, an HID kit "may" work, but that's a slippery slope. just because the kit
is based for the projector socket does not mean it will function properly. few,
and I mean, damn few, kits will throw a focused beam. 95% of the time, the
focal point is askew and the result is uncontrolled glare. thus, the basis for
my comment regarding beam pattern/pics.

sadly, as long as the bulb fits the projector socket, frugle owners will opt to
go with a kit and to hell with the beam pattern. the drivers...motorcycle
riders who are recipients of the glare are the ones who suffer...sometimes
dangerously so.

http://www.waltermitty.net/mb/HID%20kit.pdf
Old 08-30-2006, 11:00 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Guys,
This threat has been very helpful, but frankly I am a bit confused. It seems the best way to go is OEM Bi-xenons. I was told at my last service that the adjustment screws on my xenon headlight (foggy ones) are bad at both sides, causing one headlight to light up the trees. so I am trying to get them to change it under warrantly and possibly upgrade to Bi-xenons if I can talk them into it, providing I pay the difference. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:01 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Guys,
This threat has been very helpful, but frankly I am a bit confused. It seems the best way to go is OEM Bi-xenons. I was told at my last service that the adjustment screws on my xenon headlight (foggy ones) are bad at both sides, causing one headlight to light up the trees. so I am trying to get them to change it under warrantly and possibly upgrade to Bi-xenons if I can talk them into it, providing I pay the difference. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:02 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Guys,
Old 08-30-2006, 11:03 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Sorry PC issues...
Old 08-31-2006, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by SUPR C
Guys,
I hope that works out for you. I have full extended warranty and might have to make some issues with my headlights if we can just pay the difference...