C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Test drove my first C32 yesterday...In love...but need help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drove my first C32 yesterday...In love...but need help?

Hi all,

Did a few searches but didn't come up with anything...As with most car forums people always post when they have problems, but usually not to say 'everything is going fine as usual'...so my questions is:

How many problems do trhe C32s really have? Obviously it varies car to car, but I'm talking on average...i.e. what should I expect?

The car I drove was an '02 with 37k. Guy said he'd had some electrical issues and whatnot, but nothing serious. But I keep reading about replacing radiators, superchargers and god know what else. He bought his CPO, but the waranty is up on that in November...

As lovers of the car, what's your advice??

Thanks!!!

-Adam
Old 08-25-2006, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by BentleyJava
Hi all,

Did a few searches but didn't come up with anything...As with most car forums people always post when they have problems, but usually not to say 'everything is going fine as usual'...so my questions is:

How many problems do trhe C32s really have? Obviously it varies car to car, but I'm talking on average...i.e. what should I expect?

The car I drove was an '02 with 37k. Guy said he'd had some electrical issues and whatnot, but nothing serious. But I keep reading about replacing radiators, superchargers and god know what else. He bought his CPO, but the waranty is up on that in November...

As lovers of the car, what's your advice??

Thanks!!!

-Adam
After owning Audi for many years, I can confirm that the C32 has a lot fewer issues than a typical Audi. For the C32, it seems like there are just a couple of recurrent/common issues.

1. At 40,000 miles they seem to lose their intercooler fluid pump. Not a difficult fix, but expensive if you go with OEM parts. Turns out the Bosch pump is also used on a Ford Lightning and can be adapted at about 1/2 price.

2. Early C32s (yours and mine probably) have a "Valeo" radiator that may cause contamination of tranny fluid with antifreeze. Symptoms are shifting problems, and dealers can do a test on the tranny fluid.

3. Some people seem to have issues with the transmission. It's hard to say if some of the complaints are inevitable. Auto transmissions are never perfect and C32 buyers are probably pickier than most. I think it's a fantastic transmission (much sharper and smarter than the one in my Audi).

4. Suspension bits wear out or get loose. I've had stabilizer bar links fixed, and I have a "camber bushing" cracked and leaking.

Sounds like you're buying from a private seller, which means you don't get a warranty. You might want to price out an aftermarket warranty. It will be an expensive warranty, but then ANY repair is going to be pricey.

Good luck. They are amazing cars, particularly for what they cost.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 08-25-2006 at 11:01 AM.