C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

New C32 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 ///AMG
New C32 owner

I just purchased a CPO 2002 C32. I did not research the vehicle issues prior to buying it. I was actually in the market for a 70 Trans Am and happened to stop by a local Benz dealer while out with the the lady getting some ice cream. Well, it turned out to be a pretty expensive trip to the ice cream store as we drove home in a new pre-owned C32.

I'm a little concerned with all the issues people bring up on this board and others about the intercooler, transmission and others. I have already experienced the wandering mirror thing! I thought some kids were playing a prank and tipping the mirror down to the ground for kicks.

I do have a MB CPO 1 year 12000 mile warranty on the vehicle. Are there any tips on TSB issues I should bring up to the dealer when getting the car serviced? Any help on what to bring up would be very greatly appreciated.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Good move with the CPO. Although the C32 has its share of problems, it is probably a much more reliable car than others with this level of performance. The CPO has been great for me. I have taken my car in with the specific information gained here at MBWorld and gotten the intercooler pump replaced, the tranny ECU upgraded and now the torque converter replaced, all at no charge. MB of Laguna Niguel has always provided me with a nice C to drive in the mean time, so can't really complain.

I have not had the wandering mirror problem. Is it your right or left mirror? If it is the right, have you tried turning the back-up mode off? I had mine active for a week or so and it drove me nuts. I think I still know how to back up without having the mirror tip down for me.

I think you have made a great choice in automobiles. How many miles does your C32 have on it and what color is it. Maybe I'll see you around the streets of So. Cal.

edit: oops, I just noticed your profile describes the car. Nice.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by hkycoldrct
I just purchased a CPO 2002 C32. I did not research the vehicle issues prior to buying it. I was actually in the market for a 70 Trans Am and happened to stop by a local Benz dealer while out with the the lady getting some ice cream. Well, it turned out to be a pretty expensive trip to the ice cream store as we drove home in a new pre-owned C32.

I'm a little concerned with all the issues people bring up on this board and others about the intercooler, transmission and others. I have already experienced the wandering mirror thing! I thought some kids were playing a prank and tipping the mirror down to the ground for kicks.

I do have a MB CPO 1 year 12000 mile warranty on the vehicle. Are there any tips on TSB issues I should bring up to the dealer when getting the car serviced? Any help on what to bring up would be very greatly appreciated.
The squawks people have about the C32 here are a mere fraction of what you would hear on other car forums. I had an Audi, and there was a virtual laundry list of things that would consistently go wrong, at predictable intervals. Other than water pump, things seem solid.

I got CPO and invested in an extended warranty. Very expensive. Oddly, I hope stuff goes wrong sooner rather than later.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
N/A
Congrats on the ride. Lowered suspension and 19's are a must on this vehicle. enjoy.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
I would try to find a cool service advisor that will give you your vehicle service history. That will tell you how much work you may have ahead of you. I tried with a couple and they spouted off how it is the previous owners person info.. BS!!! It's my car now fools!!

Definitely listen out for the front end squeaks..(sway bar bushings and arms) and pay close attention to the transmission shifting..(glycol contamination and tranny jerk issues)

Good luck and welcome!!!
Old 08-25-2006, 06:10 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
congrats on the new ride. amgmark's idea is great. that way you will know what has and have not been done, so you'll have an idea on what's ahead of you.