Renntech spring install gone wrong

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
Renntech spring install gone wrong

after the hassle of getting these springs i was so looking forward to the benefits of the renntechs. i used a guy who did some work for me on other cars for the install.

just picked up the c32 and on way home heard suspension noise. i popped hood and found the "strut plate" (the black plate that's bolted on top the strut) 2-3 mm away from the rubber inserts below. so the whole spring strut can move up/down and this is creating noise and can't be a good thing. certainly the car was not like this with stock setup.

arrrrrrggggg. some times you try to save a buck and screw yourself. not that he was so cheap. i searched and found guys paid 150 - 1/2 of what i was charged. anyway....

does anyone know what or where things went wrong? does spring have to settle? i thought this was a straight forward install. my guy claims he bolted everything back together correctly. i was told to drive car and bring back to him on tues. i'm hoping there is a simple explanation/fix.

i also did h & r rear sways no worries there.

really would appreciate any thoughts or insight.

i don't use emoticons but when i just want to be
Old 09-02-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, C32, ML320
Sent you a PM about the guy I used. MB master tech. Has done most of the work on my car. Worth every penny.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Just tighten the nut down and see if it came loose. The plate will be a mm or so above the rubber on the strut tower.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:00 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
if you are talking about the rectangle metal piece on top of the the strut. they are not suppose to touch the rubber pads.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the nut on tip in tightened as far as possible.

the rubber on strut tower has an area that suggests that the plate was in contact.

late nite i did a some agressive cornering in an empty lot. it was raining but the balance of the car is great. just need to get this issue fixed.

thanks again.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
AWD,

Just take the nut off and rectangular metal piece. You can do this as long as the front tires are on the ground. On the threaded shaft you will see a circular nut with a couple of slots across from each other. Try to tighten that circular nut. It is about the only thing I can think of that may not have been tighten correctly.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Zep. mu guy assured me he did that. apparently the shorter renntech spring means the spring perch on top now has to be screwed in more thus it's too far away from the upper nut when it's fully tightening. at least that's my understanding. actually if that top nut with slots is backed out it may fix the prob?? if not then i'm thinking i will get a set of the rubber bushings and insert between the plate to tighten up.

now that the rain quit i took a good look and the top plate must conact the rubber bushing or else the top strut location can move around - changing camber and caster and prob be unsafe.

thing is i searched and found no one else with this issue. i posted a separate thread to ask how other folks' are sitting.