C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Technical question: Surge Tanks and Intercooler reservior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 11:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Technical question: Surge Tanks and Intercooler reservior

What do the surge-tanks do on a stock 2002 C32?

So the engine's radiator/coolant reservior is pulled periodically or all the time to cool the s/c. Does it loop back to the tank then, or into the engine's cooling system - maybe that points out where I'm missing something - maybe someone can just describe the flow of coolant through the radiator/block and the intercooler/supercharger and tranny...

I'm thinking of trying the intercooler pump upgrade, and while I'm at it, I would think it would make sense to do a larger air-exchanger and replace the valeo radiator, so any information that would help me understand (or just point me somewhere, I have all-data and I'm left largely to infer what it's doing) would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2006, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Surge tanks bring kompressed air from the supercharger into the intake manifold. There should be no coolant in the intake manifold unless you have a leaky intercooler core. If you plan on upgrading the water recirculation system, you only need to replace the water pump if it is failing and you have power loss issues. The cooling system basically consists of the intercooler under the supercharger and the heat exchanger/intercooler radiator at the bottom of the front bumper.

Picture is from a Slk32, which has a slightly different water recirculation system (smaller heat exchanger, etc).
Old 09-14-2006, 11:01 AM

2002 c32
Many thanks! Would it make sense to setup a dedicated intercooler reservior? I'm not doing all this because anything is failing (although I'd like to stay ahead of the Valeo radiator issue, of course), but this just seems like pretty easy, yet substantial modifications to do while I learn about the car and general wrenchery.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Bif powell
Many thanks! Would it make sense to setup a dedicated intercooler reservior? I'm not doing all this because anything is failing (although I'd like to stay ahead of the Valeo radiator issue, of course), but this just seems like pretty easy, yet substantial modifications to do while I learn about the car and general wrenchery.
Great picture. I always assumed that the intercooler used the same radiator as the engine, but the picture shows a separate radiator and just a common resevoir. Maybe it wouldn't be so difficult to separate the two systems to keep the intercooler from heat soaking with the engine coolant. Then again, if it was that simple, why didn't AMG do it? If the two systems share a resevoir, is it possible that the coolant does not mix much?

QUESTION: I've noticed while sitting at a stop light, something will cycle on and off (about a 5 second cycle) making a little "wooooo" sound. Is that the intercooler coolant pump?
Old 09-14-2006, 11:38 AM

c32, 190e 16v turbo
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Great picture. I always assumed that the intercooler used the same radiator as the engine, but the picture shows a separate radiator and just a common resevoir. Maybe it wouldn't be so difficult to separate the two systems to keep the intercooler from heat soaking with the engine coolant. Then again, if it was that simple, why didn't AMG do it? If the two systems share a resevoir, is it possible that the coolant does not mix much?

QUESTION: I've noticed while sitting at a stop light, something will cycle on and off (about a 5 second cycle) making a little "wooooo" sound. Is that the intercooler coolant pump?
The noise you are hearing is the air injection pump.

You can seperate the resevoir ,this mod comes with the evosport pullys and uses the washer tank. there is little room for another tank . I too want too seperate the circuits because there WILL be benefits. I did find some tanks used by dragracers that may fit but dont know if it is enough coolant.

does anyone know how much coolant is used for only the intercooler system? i think i read somewhere that it is only a couple of quarts.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:58 AM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by p rossi

You can seperate the resevoir ,this mod comes with the evosport pullys and uses the washer tank. there is little room for another tank . I too want too seperate the circuits because there WILL be benefits. I did find some tanks used by dragracers that may fit but dont know if it is enough coolant.

does anyone know how much coolant is used for only the intercooler system? i think i read somewhere that it is only a couple of quarts.
There are these local guys that are sort of mentoring me into becoming more mechanically inclined and a DIYer with my cars, and I'm having a great time - they recommended closing the intercooler system and relocating the reservoir to the trunk with a stainless steel unit. Then when I drag or track or whatever, have the reservior in an ice-bath. Seems like more work than I want to do, couldn't we fab something long and skinny enough to bolt in somehwere?...
Old 09-14-2006, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by p rossi

I really have issues with the use of windshield fluid (or even water) in the intercooler. What about using a more conventional sized battery (smaller than a microwave oven) and locating a small tank in the battery box? Heck, you could set it up like a cooler and dump ice in there!

What's the tank for anyway? Is it for expansion? Could you get away with a very small one (like a brake fluid filler tube)?

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 09-14-2006 at 12:02 PM.