C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

iPod MB Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod MB Kit Questions

OK, so I had the iPod kit installed as well during a service visit. After a few days of use, there are a few shortcomings (which I hope I can address).

I notice my iPod seems to stay powered on. I turned off the car, came back to get it from the glove box at least 20 minutes later and it was still on (MB logo on the screen). Is that normal? It had been in the car a few days, so it was not like it needed any charging.

Is there any way to get the iPod song data on the center radio display - it is only on the dash display? Really makes it harder for the passenger to see too.

How about a way to make the song title scroll while playing on the MB dash display - and especially the artist when going through playlists? All of my songs and artists have long names and I cannot differentiate some.

Lastly, any way to change the steering controls? I can't stand pushing the "down" arrow to move "up" in the song list (why make the iPod control opposite of CD?!?!?).

So far, just a so-so kit for the price - but all the shortcomings could be addressed via software/configuration versus hardware. I'm just hoping they already have been.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!!
Old 10-05-2006, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Originally Posted by jknust
OK, so I had the iPod kit installed as well during a service visit. After a few days of use, there are a few shortcomings (which I hope I can address).

I notice my iPod seems to stay powered on. I turned off the car, came back to get it from the glove box at least 20 minutes later and it was still on (MB logo on the screen). Is that normal? It had been in the car a few days, so it was not like it needed any charging. If you activated the ring, then the iPod turned on. Don't unlock or open the front doors. To test, leave the iPod where you can see it through the window, and then check. It should be off.

Is there any way to get the iPod song data on the center radio display - it is only on the dash display? Really makes it harder for the passenger to see too. No

How about a way to make the song title scroll while playing on the MB dash display - and especially the artist when going through playlists? All of my songs and artists have long names and I cannot differentiate some. No

Lastly, any way to change the steering controls? I can't stand pushing the "down" arrow to move "up" in the song list (why make the iPod control opposite of CD?!?!?). No. The idea is that you are moving down the playlist similar to iTunes software.

So far, just a so-so kit for the price - but all the shortcomings could be addressed via software/configuration versus hardware. I'm just hoping they already have been.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!!
Old 10-05-2006, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 233 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
It will take more than software to fix those problems. They stem from the kit interfacing with the CAN-C (Controller Area Network C) bus, not the MOST (Media-Oriented-Systems Transport) ring. This is why the cluster display (which is driven by CAN-C) knows about the Ipod, but COMAND (which gets its info from MOST) doesn't. The kit would have to be reengineered as a MOST device.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Apparently, a third-party has done the reengineering. It's not available yet, but Denison has announced an integration kit that talks to MOST (the fiber optics ring).

http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php
Old 10-05-2006, 01:26 PM

2015 S550, 1988 560SL
Originally Posted by whoover
Apparently, a third-party has done the reengineering. It's not available yet, but Denison has announced an integration kit that talks to MOST (the fiber optics ring).

http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php
I just ordered a Gateway 500 for my CL from http://www.dension4u.de/shop/index.php in Germany. It is available now for both MOST and D2B, but is ~$500.00. I sure hope it's worth it. I'll post again when it arrives and let anyone interested know my results.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
This page says it's not yet available.

http://www.dension4u.de/shop/product...oducts_id=1447

I'd be interested in how it works for you.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:17 PM

2015 S550, 1988 560SL
My vehicle uses the D2B and I wrongly assumed that both were available, my bad.