C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Aftermarket GPS units

Old 10-14-2006, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket GPS units

Ever since I bought my 05 C55 I have been somewhat frustrated that it does not have command. I have been considering several options and definitely would like to get a navigation system in the near future.

I noticed that there is a plethora of command systems for sale on ebay, most of which come from eastern europe. From some threads I saw that some of you bought these units and are very happen with. They're obviously a lot cheaper than buying a new one. However, I am hearing conflicting information that these european units will not work on our cars.

The other option that I have been considering is an aftermarket unit by Garmin. I'm a pilot and have been considering their 496 model which is an aviation unit that has automobile and marine functionality as well. However, my big question is how would a aftermarket Garmin GPS compare with the OEM command unit (in terms of user-friendliness, integration, screen presentation, etc.). I know that Garmin is considered the industry leader when it comes to global positioning systems, however I don't know what the advantages/disadvantages of an aftermarket unit are compared with the integrated OEM unit?

Anyone with experience with any aftermarket GPS units I would appreciate your insight. Also, any of you with the european command retrofitted in your 203's, your input would be appreciated as well.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
I personally don't like the stock one that much...it has been accurate in directing me to places so far, but seems a bit unintuitive. Just yesterday it was showing the car off the road like maybe half a mile to the left. I hope it corrects itself today.

My friend has a Pioneer system, which in my opinion is the best third party GPS system I have used. I'm guessing the Pioneer AVIC Z-1 would improve on his model (it's a year old now), and it looks like it fits quite well. But it is pricey.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
im planning on doing a avic z1 install on my car. its a very nice system
Old 10-14-2006, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
I have had the Garmin IQue in my C32 for a couple of years, and have been very happy with it.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:45 AM

2003 C32
I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 - pretty accurate, fast tracking and recalculation. Only gave me issues on 1-2 locations so far (it was confused) after about 100 addresses.

Only hassle is the car charger for the unit, cables abound!