Supercharger Info - from new C32 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG - in Pewter
Supercharger Info - from new C32 owner

Hello,

Here is my first post on this forum . I purchased a 2003 C32 in Pewter Silver two weeks ago, with 65,000 km on the odometer. I live in Ottawa, Ontario. It did not take long for me to realize that all the praise about this car was for a good reason - it is a special car for sure!!!

Very shortly after I picked the car up, I have noticed what many people talked about - occasional lack of power due to S/C not always engaging when it should. Before I went to the garage, I did extensive research and provided all info to the service dept. Thanks to this forum, I had enough! Car is now fixed and runs fine!!! Not surprisingly, the intercooler pump had to be replaced (warranty).

Along the way, I dug quite a bit about how exactly the S/C operates on the C32, so here is what I found. I hope it helps potential diagnostics:

* S/C can engage anywhere between 0 and 2900 RPM. The exact point depends on demand for torque (function of throttle angle) as well as the currently used transmition control map (based on driving habits/history).

* at 2900 RMP and above, S/C is always ON for technical reason, it does not matter if you are accellerating or just cruising (at higher speed).

* if the car is not moving, S/C is never on, regardless of the RPMs

* if the temperature is below 0C, S/C will engage for a few seconds when you start the car to melt any icing from internal condensation.

* S/C is not actuated when the air intake sensor reports high temperature or when the battery voltage drops below 9V.

In my case, I had a few accellerations where S/C worked, then a few where it did not, and that pattern repeats. When S/C is ON for a while, it would increase the IAT and since the intercoller was not doing its job, sensor turns the S/C off. When the S/C is off, air IAT would go down (air no longer heated by S/C blades), At that point S/C would start working again, and the cycle is closed. Had to learn in a hurry but now my car is great...

Thanks
Old 11-16-2006, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by gkstar
Hello,

Here is my first post on this forum . I purchased a 2003 C32 in Pewter Silver two weeks ago, with 65,000 km on the odometer. I live in Ottawa, Ontario. It did not take long for me to realize that all the praise about this car was for a good reason - it is a special car for sure!!!

Very shortly after I picked the car up, I have noticed what many people talked about - occasional lack of power due to S/C not always engaging when it should. Before I went to the garage, I did extensive research and provided all info to the service dept. Thanks to this forum, I had enough! Car is now fixed and runs fine!!! Not surprisingly, the intercooler pump had to be replaced (warranty).

Along the way, I dug quite a bit about how exactly the S/C operates on the C32, so here is what I found. I hope it helps potential diagnostics:

* S/C can engage anywhere between 0 and 2900 RPM. The exact point depends on demand for torque (function of throttle angle) as well as the currently used transmition control map (based on driving habits/history).

* at 2900 RMP and above, S/C is always ON for technical reason, it does not matter if you are accellerating or just cruising (at higher speed).

* if the car is not moving, S/C is never on, regardless of the RPMs

* if the temperature is below 0C, S/C will engage for a few seconds when you start the car to melt any icing from internal condensation.

* S/C is not actuated when the air intake sensor reports high temperature or when the battery voltage drops below 9V.

In my case, I had a few accellerations where S/C worked, then a few where it did not, and that pattern repeats. When S/C is ON for a while, it would increase the IAT and since the intercoller was not doing its job, sensor turns the S/C off. When the S/C is off, air IAT would go down (air no longer heated by S/C blades), At that point S/C would start working again, and the cycle is closed. Had to learn in a hurry but now my car is great...

Thanks

Ok..........u said S/C only turns on when car is moving then what about when on a dyno machine car really isn't moving but rear wheels are. Is it that when idling you mean?
Old 11-17-2006, 05:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Originally Posted by c32used
Ok..........u said S/C only turns on when car is moving then what about when on a dyno machine car really isn't moving but rear wheels are. Is it that when idling you mean?
Yeah, the car doesn't know that it's not moving when it's on the dyno, so it's moving as far as the car is concerned.

That said, how would a distronic car deal with this? Probably it would think it was right behind another moving car if there was a wall in front of it - or it would be off in the diag-mode required to get an accurate dyno reading anyways?
Old 11-17-2006, 07:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
Distronic will not work with ESP off first of all. When the car is on Dyno mode, the ESP is switched off. Second, distronic knows the difference between a wall and a car. It will only sense a car that is moving in the same direction as your car. It will not sense oncoming cars or walls.