C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Where to find info re. the high-tech content of these cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 11:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Where to find info re. the high-tech content of these cars?

Hello,
I'm wondering because I own an E55 wagon that rules, but it's also chock full of the type of high tech gewgaws that make the car a questionable post-warranty ownership proposition. For example, the brake-by-wire system, the COMAND system, the air suspension, etc.

By my informal cursory first look, the C55 appears to be a far less sophisticated car, which in this case is not a bad thing, really. It doesn't have the supercharger, but also doesn't have the brake-by-wire, has a simpler (non-nav) center console (although it's probably as reliable/unreliable as the E's Comand), has simpler HVAC controls, and so on. Does it have a standard suspension, or is the C55 also an air-suspension car? Where is there any information concerning long-term reliability prospects on the range of AMG cars?

Thanks for your replies.

vic
Old 11-27-2006, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They C55 does not have an air suspension.

I had a brief conversation with a MB tech friend of mine regarding reliability and he told me the C55 is one of the more reliable models in the AMG lineup. The motor has been around for almost a decade now so most, if not all, of the bugs have been eliminated. As for the other components outside of powertrain it's either hit or miss. Nothing major has needed warranty work within the 18 months of ownership of my car. All of the issues I had were taken care of on my first service visit.