Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Thanks for the feedback Bobby Dazzler
Old 12-04-2006, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never been happy with the C32 transmission. It is the best automatic I've ever owned, but SMG II and III are both reportedly considerably better. I just want the shifts to be faster, and to have a full-manual mode.

I really miss having a manual transmission, though. Take my words with a grain of salt, because I'm biased against slushboxes.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:18 PM

2003 C32 AMG, 2003 ML270 CDi
Originally Posted by steve_bris
Thanks for the feedback Bobby Dazzler
You're very welcome matey.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:04 AM

2003 C32 AMG BLACK
Originally Posted by m3_eater
I've never been happy with the C32 transmission. It is the best automatic I've ever owned, but SMG II and III are both reportedly considerably better. I just want the shifts to be faster, and to have a full-manual mode.

I really miss having a manual transmission, though. Take my words with a grain of salt, because I'm biased against slushboxes.

So the c32 doesn't shift fast enough for you?? And let me guess, you can probably shift faster with a manual?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ellery
So the c32 doesn't shift fast enough for you?? And let me guess, you can probably shift faster with a manual?
The automatic upshifts in the C32 are as fast as any automatic I've ever driven. BUT, the upshifts in manual mode are S L O W. I had an Audi tiptronic before my C32 and the upshifts were a lot quicker -- although still not as quick as I'd like. I almost never use the manual mode in the C32, it's just not worth the effort. At the track, I just use the manual mode to downshift into turns. I let the automatic upshift at redline.

My most recent instructor was surprised at how much of a surge there was when upshifting at speed. He expected an automatic tranny to have a lull between gears, not a lunge.

DSG (with a dual-clutch - not SMG) is the breakthrough that allows lightning fast shifts manually, and automatic function when necessary.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Agreed with Fifth Ring. The AMG tranny is the best true auto I've driven to date (SMG/DSG excluded). Just can't seem to time manual shifts so that the tach doesn't bounce off the rev limiter.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:29 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
If you go at the c32life.com site, you will see a lot of reviews there. Most reviewers agree that this is a fast and smart tranny (downshifting on turns, etc) that does not take away from the fun factor, nor from the performance, it seems (?). There are one or two die hard stick persons that still kept dreaming about the manual option.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:03 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i'll take the E39 M5. more expensive...so what, less mod friendly...so what, imola red and blk/red interior FTFW!!!

as far as looks, the E39 M5 is timeless. like the old 6-series you don't see people calling it old looking (unless they're not maintained properly).
Old 12-05-2006, 10:11 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
The automatic upshifts in the C32 are as fast as any automatic I've ever driven. BUT, the upshifts in manual mode are S L O W. I had an Audi tiptronic before my C32 and the upshifts were a lot quicker -- although still not as quick as I'd like. I almost never use the manual mode in the C32, it's just not worth the effort. At the track, I just use the manual mode to downshift into turns. I let the automatic upshift at redline.

My most recent instructor was surprised at how much of a surge there was when upshifting at speed. He expected an automatic tranny to have a lull between gears, not a lunge.

DSG (with a dual-clutch - not SMG) is the breakthrough that allows lightning fast shifts manually, and automatic function when necessary.
imo it's not the shift is slow, but the electronic lag from tapping the shifter to the computer to the tranny. i don't see why i'd want to upshift by tapping the lever if the computer does it better than me at redline if my goal is to go as fast as possible anyways. as far as the manual mode on C55, it suck!! if you want to shift at redline you have to press the damn button 200-300rpm earlier otherwise it'll just bounce of the redline like ling said.

I'v drove friend's B5S4 with tiptronic and I have to say that it shifts slower than the AMG tranny however there's less delay from input at your finger tips.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by yeuchau

but i do think e39 m5 looks much better than w210 E55
I agree.

On topic- if it's for your wife, and she's anything like my girl, then C32. While the M5 is unarguably a more accomplished car than the C32, it has a heavy clutch and many have a had a tough life.

The c32 is also a great car. The gearbox shifts very fast yet smoothly. I used to drive mine in W mode as in S mode the box seemed to get a little confused.

Good luck
Old 12-05-2006, 11:49 PM

2003 C32 AMG BLACK
Who said the C32 is to be shifted Manually?? Moving your shifter is NOT suppose to "shift" gears... it's suppose to tell the car which is the highest gear you would like to reach/stay-on (unless you hit the red line). The car shifts only when it feels it's necessary because of the speed/rpm. Also, ANYTIME you move the stick, the car considers it a suggestion... not a command. Even when you're in full automatic, you can *suggest* the car to upshift... and the car does it as soon as it deems it appropiate. Please go back to that section of the manual and re-read. You'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring

Old 12-05-2006, 11:51 PM

2003 C32 AMG BLACK
^ what I said.

Originally Posted by FrankW
imo it's not the shift is slow, but the electronic lag from tapping the shifter to the computer to the tranny. i don't see why i'd want to upshift by tapping the lever if the computer does it better than me at redline if my goal is to go as fast as possible anyways. as far as the manual mode on C55, it suck!! if you want to shift at redline you have to press the damn button 200-300rpm earlier otherwise it'll just bounce of the redline like ling said.

I'v drove friend's B5S4 with tiptronic and I have to say that it shifts slower than the AMG tranny however there's less delay from input at your finger tips.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Who said the C32 is to be shifted Manually?? Moving your shifter is NOT suppose to "shift" gears... it's suppose to tell the car which is the highest gear you would like to reach/stay-on (unless you hit the red line). The car shifts only when it feels it's necessary because of the speed/rpm. Also, ANYTIME you move the stick, the car considers it a suggestion... not a command. Even when you're in full automatic, you can *suggest* the car to upshift... and the car does it as soon as it deems it appropiate. Please go back to that section of the manual and re-read. You'll see exactly what I'm talking about.
Correct, BUT, even if you're going 60MPH in 2nd gear, when you tap the lever it should be ready and willing to upshift at that speed, and you STILL get a solid "one-thousand-one..." count before it upshifts. And yes, it's not the shifting itself but the electronic message that seems sluggish.

But for the record, there no better automatic transmission for quick, firm upshifts. And the computer logic holding gears during hard driving and cornering is also fantastic. It's pretty clear that MB puts a lot of energy into building and configuring trannies. My Audi had a ZF transmission that behaved like an outsourced component.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:19 PM

You definitely hit the nail right on the head. Manual gear selections in the C32 are just that: suggestions. This is what I mean by wanting a true manual mode. What I want is for the car to go to whatever gear I select, ASAP once selected, NO MATTER WHAT THE THROTTLE POSITION IS (as long as it can without damaging the tranny or engine, of course - no 1st gear selection at 60mph, no 5th gear selection at 10mph). I do like the way that the tranny clicks off redline upshifts on it's own, but it would be nice to not deal with the porpoising that results when throttle lifting to get an upshift after accelleration in a lower gear.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Soooooooooo many interesting feedbacks.
E39 M5, W203 C32 are famous cars like M3 E46 Coupe. I am sure if one can find a good condition one, it is worth keeping.
If $ is not issue, a practical preowned C55 will give fun and joy for a long long time.
I ain't selling mine though.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:47 PM

C32
Lightbulb

Ok so we have decided on a Merc for sure .... as the wife says she definatly wants the auto.

We are going to a benz dealership which has a low klm C32 and C55 next week ..... Here in AUS an 05 C55 with around 20k klms on them go for around $125,000 ...... and an 03 C32 with around 30-40K klms on them go for around $85,000.

I am thinking that getting a 03 C32 in great condition.... doing pulley/ECU/exhaust etc for 400+hp, sprintbooster, maybee suspension upgrade, 19 inch wheel, xenons..... maybe a few other small mods, which I think would make it easily as good as the C55, maybe even better, for way less money.

The wife thinks the C55 is the go as it is newer ect ......... hmmmmmm, its a pretty hard decision. I guess with the C55, its hard to improve on unless I go the SC route, and seeing it is her car, that is probaly not an option.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by steve_bris

which I think would make it easily as good as the C55, maybe even better, for way less money.

there is no replacement for displacement

get the 55 if you can, its a better car

btw,
those prices are ****in nuts
Old 12-18-2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by AMG_55

... except in a straight line
Old 12-18-2006, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG_55
there is no replacement for displacement

btw,
those prices are ****in nuts

Agreed. Get the 55. I think you'll be happier with its powertrain reliability in the long run.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:23 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
C55 is a better car in some ways, but to put it more in context, Steve is asking if C55 is $40k better than the C32 (85k vs. 125k). Or, in other words, 50% better than the C32 as that is about the difefrence in price (mileage is not that different it seems).

Last edited by gkstar; 12-18-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
Agreed. Get the 55. I think you'll be happier with its powertrain reliability in the long run.
We used to have this debate on the Audi A6 boards. Audi sold a 250HP twin turbo V6 and a 300 HP 4.2 litre V8, that produced just about the same performance numbers. In fact, the 2.7T was a bit quicker to 60 MPH. The 4.2 cost a good bit more.

Remarkably, people who owned 4.2s suggested that they were the better choice, and people who owned 2.7Ts felt otherwise! One thing that was true was that the 2.7T could be tuned, quite cheaply, to easily outperform the 4.2. So the 2.7T was the favorite of people who would be interested in customizing. I owned a 2.7T, and of course we were also jealous of the 4.2 owners!

The same could be said of the C32 versus C55. The C32 will be cheaper to buy, and it can be tuned (not so cheaply) to outrun the C55. Some folks are into tuning and most are not. So, if you're not into tuning, the C55 is clearly superior. But, like I used to say about the 4.2, if it was available at the same price as equivalent 2.7Ts, the choice would be easy. But in reality there's always a price premium, and it all comes down to how much a buck is worth.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gkstar
C55 is a better car in some ways, but to put it more in context, Steve is asking if C55 is $40k better than the C32 (85k vs. 125k). Or, in other words, 50% better than the C32 as that is about the difefrence in price (mileage is not that different it seems).

It depends on your definition of better. Being that the car is for the wifey I think her mind is already made up as she is leaning towards the 55. I think the last thing on her mind is tuning potential. Another thing to consider is reliability. I know some of you may disagree but the 55 N/A motor is pretty much bulletproof compared to the periodic issues and added maintenance (replacing the Kompressor?) of the 32K or even the 55K powertrain. Peace of mind for a loved one might be worth the added money depending on the individual.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:33 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
That is correct. I guess it depends on how people perceive the 40k difference...
Old 12-19-2006, 12:19 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
without tuning in mind I think the C55 is perfect if it's going to the wife, unless you just want to save some $$.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
E39 M5 > C-class AMG

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering 03 C32 over 02 M5 ?