do I take the plunge with a C55 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
C55 -> less fuel, 1650kg only, less $, at least problems free on mine
E55 -> more fuel , more $$, almost 2 tons !
Both are famous sports MB, just money
You won't regret to own a AMG
Old 12-07-2006, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Here are Sport auto test results for the C55/C32:

Test date: July 2004/Sept 2001
Weight/power ratio (kg/PS): 4.6/4.66
Tires used: Pirelli P Zero Rosso for both cars
Transverse Acceleration (g): 1.1/1.0
Slalom course 36m (km/h): 122/118
Slalom course 110m (km/h): 134/132
Nurburgring laptime (min): 8.22/8.37
Hockenheim laptime (min): 1.18,6/1.20,6
OK, I give. So how do I make my inferior C32 handle like a C55? What actually was changed? My understanding is that C55 struts are plug-n-play for the C32, as are springs.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by gkstar

Another interesting comparison would be to set the cars at similar price points, relative to today's prices. That would alllow C32 to throw in an upgrade to 400+ HP and then the results will be more interesting... or who knows. Just speculating...

This is actually the situation right now on the open market. For about the same cost as a similar year/mileage/optioned E46 M3, a buyer can get a C32 AMG and mod it to Stage 2+. Exactly what I did...
Old 12-07-2006, 02:36 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
Upgrade to a stiffer suspension and you will be a step closer...

BTW, which MB model is most closely competing the Audi RS4 today, and similarly priced I would assume?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
OK, I give. So how do I make my inferior C32 handle like a C55? What actually was changed? My understanding is that C55 struts are plug-n-play for the C32, as are springs.
Here is an excerpt from the official C55 press release from MB when it was introduced back in 2004.

"Extensive attention to detail for enhanced dynamic handling

-More rigid AMG sport chassis and reworked elastokinematics
-Completely retuned dynamic-drive control system
-More direct steering ratio for more precise handling
-AMG 18-inch light-alloy, double-spoke wheels
-Well-equipped AMG high-performance brake system

More fun behind the wheel and improved dynamic handling without any major sacrifice of comfort — these were the goals laid down for the chassis development of the new C 55 AMG. The responsible engineers and technicians at Mercedes-AMG GmbH focused on three areas in their developmental work: chassis tuning, dynamic-drive control system and wheel-tyre combinations. All components and systems had to be adapted to the new V8 engine in order to achieve extra sportiness. The new AMG sport chassis makes a significant contribution to boosting the dynamic handling. Springs with a 20-percent higher rigidity, harder gas shock absorbers with degressive characteristics and a bigger stabilizer on the rear axle (only in the C 55 AMG estate) not only make the most of out of the road but also reduce the body roll that happens when a car drives rapidly through a curve and the roll angle in alternating curves. The elastokinematics were reworked on both axles: Both the tension strut on the McPherson three-link front axle and the spring suspension link of the multi-link independent rear suspension are harder. As a result, driving through curves becomes much more precise. The noticeable gains in steering precision and spontaneity have been achieved without any noticeable loss in suspension comfort.

Dynamic-handling control systems comprehensively overhauled

All of the dynamic-handling control systems, such as the ABS anti-lock braking system, the braking assistant, the ASR acceleration skid control system, and the ESP® Electronic Stability Program, were reworked and modified in comprehensive calculations and test drives. For example, the acceleration skid control system now has a traction function when the ESP® is shut off. When a car enters a curve at high speed, the system determines when the back tyre on the inside part of the curve starts to slip and can brake it to a precisely calculated degree. The effect that is created corresponds to that of a mechanical locking differential and promotes the traction of the driven wheels. Even when shut off, the ESP® recognizes a potentially unstable driving situation, for example when the driver suddenly applies the brakes. Within milliseconds, the ESP is completely available again. A potential accident can thus be prevented. What’s more, the control processes in all operating conditions have been made more harmonious.

Steering ratio now seven percent more direct

Just like all of the variants of the new generation C-Class, the C 55 AMG also profits from the modified power steering system. The steering ratio is now seven percent more direct, thus improving the vehicle’s handling and steering precision. These improvements deliver a major dose of behind-the-wheel fun to sporty drivers in particular. The new 18-inch AMG light-alloy, double-spoke wheels being used as standard equipment for the first time in the C-Class create a spontaneous, dynamic form of handling. The front axle has tyres in the 225/40 ZR 18 format on 7.5-inch-wide rims. On the back the dimensions are 245/35 ZR 18 on 8.5-inch-wide rims. The track of the front axle has been expanded by 14 millimetres, improving driving stability and steering behaviour. The robust AMG high-performance braking system guarantees a high degree of driving safety. Large, inner-ventilated disc brakes on the front and rear axles — the front discs are also perforated — enable first-class braking deceleration. When the brakes are fully applied at 100 km/h, the C 55 AMG comes to a halt in fewer than 36 metres."
Old 12-07-2006, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Here is an excerpt from the official C55 press release from MB when it was introduced back in 2004.
nice summary, i love that.thx.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by jgsx
I'm not just saying this because I have a C32, but I test drove a few C55s before I got my 32, and the difference in power between the stock C32 and stock C55 was not very noticeable.
i raced 2 c32's in a heavier (than c55) clk55 w/ 19's and walked them
Old 12-09-2006, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by AMG_55
i raced 2 c32's in a heavier (than c55) clk55 w/ 19's and walked them
omg, was the legend Senna google video in real time or was it speeded up?
WOW!
Old 12-09-2006, 01:04 AM

May I say a big thanks to all the posters for incredible responses and information, suffice to say I am still unsure as to what to do next, so much respect for the 32/55/M3 and M5 here it is amazing. My buyer has proved to be a time waster and I am going to leave it until after xmas now before I go any further, for some reason the Merc garage have dropped the price of the C55 now twice since my first discussion with them, is there a new C class AMG due soon?
Old 12-10-2006, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by willamgad
omg, was the legend Senna google video in real time or was it speeded up?
WOW!
it was real time

now

Check this out

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...nnington&hl=en
Old 12-10-2006, 08:22 AM

Wow, I always knew he was good, but this shows his meisterklasse.
Love the worried look on Prost's face.
Respect and RIP
willamgad

Last edited by willamgad; 12-10-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:13 PM

Was back at the MB dealer yesterday talking about the AMG, they had an E55 MKB in the showroom getting prepped for a buyer, what a beauty, over 600hp according to the sales staff sand 0-200kmh in 12 seconds, sweet.
Willamgad

Last edited by willamgad; 12-11-2006 at 10:17 AM.