New Lexus IS-F: competition for C-AMG, M3, S/RS4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by c32used
true but the same technology would cost alot more on the MB. its hard to compare cars that are dated 2-6 years apart. one thing thou automaker like infiniti,lexus and acura are doing more to their cars then MB AUDI OR BMW. these are upscale cars but the technology in them isn't quite at par with it JAP counterparts.
MB was/is way ahead in stability and performance technology. The Japanese are way ahead in gadgets. It is easy to add the gadgets in later, but not easy to add in an excellent stability program. Yes, it would be great if the car came with both from the start. . .
Old 01-09-2007, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by jgsx
MB was/is way ahead in stability and performance technology. The Japanese are way ahead in gadgets. It is easy to add the gadgets in later, but not easy to add in an excellent stability program. Yes, it would be great if the car came with both from the start. . .
True but the average joe would take the excellent gadgets over the other stuff most to alot of people just want something to brag about in their cars not just saying they have a MB AUDI or BMW. Lexus gives the people what they want also remember they race the IS so making it good from the start is a must for them...not the best at performance but good enough for the average joe. Alot of people want the flair of gadgets and big rims with alot of factory HP and they are satisfied.All cars get out dated eventually.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:08 PM

2009 C63 Black on Black
Thumbs down Doublevision!

Originally Posted by 14cue
more pictures can be seen here, they're not the biggest shots when you click on the thumbs but good enough. the exhaust is hideous!
The exhaust, no the whole car looks like double vision gone awry!!
tell me how many you see here mr patient!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:40 PM

Received 154 Likes on 38 Posts
c63 BS; lc500; F-pace SVR; Jaguar P8, c63 p31
ISF feedbacks

The exterior is not quite as agressive as any current or upcoming AMGs will be. BUT, the interior, the electronics, fit and finish, cutomer service, and long term reliability will give Mercedes a run for their money.

I had an 06' IS 350 before switching over to a SLK55. The IS had a much better fit and finish; sounds/navigation system; and built quality (everything fit very nicely). Their Navigation is the most intutiave one I've ever seen. Plus, their service department is amazing (free foods/drinks, leather couch and flat panel TV, and Lexus loaners, and very attentive service team)

The IS just didn't have the styling or the engine that my SLK has (not to mention the roof). I did say that when ever Lexus makes car that looks and drives like AMGs, I would seriously consider them again. Hopefully, this will give company like Mercedes and BMW to step up and offer the quality that Lexus offers to its customers to go along with the nice performance and styling that we all love.
The perfect car would be one with engine and extriors like AMGs and an interior like that of a Lexus!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cee Fiddy Five
fit and finish, cutomer service
Um...I also enjoy plastic coverings and have my car come back with 15 more miles than when I dropped it off.

The interior has a nice design, but in my opinion, my old ML had better seats than our current GX470. Also, in my experience, our Lexus dealership has the same customer service, if not worse, as our Benz one. I mean the only problem I have with the Benz guys is that they are dumb and like to overcharge.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
AMG, M and S/RS can rest easy- that Lexi is hideous, not to mention Audi get more power from a 4.2
Old 01-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Like it's been said before...I think this is a turn for the worse "visually"...The bulged hood makes it look like a 5 series hood and the front fender is a joke...Turned a good lookin car into something more like overkill...

Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 PM

C32
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
Um...I also enjoy plastic coverings and have my car come back with 15 more miles than when I dropped it off.

The interior has a nice design, but in my opinion, my old ML had better seats than our current GX470. Also, in my experience, our Lexus dealership has the same customer service, if not worse, as our Benz one. I mean the only problem I have with the Benz guys is that they are dumb and like to overcharge.
You are in the minority then. I get better service when I take in my beat up 92 ES300 for service than the 04 C32.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:55 AM

NA
Other photos of the car, from the Top Gear website. I must say I do not disapprove of the styling..

Old 01-11-2007, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
Other photos of the car, from the Top Gear website. I must say I do not disapprove of the styling..

This angle is much more flattering for the car because it hides those ugly vents behind the front wheels and the effed up quad exhausts.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by c32used
True but the average joe would take the excellent gadgets over the other stuff most to alot of people just want something to brag about in their cars not just saying they have a MB AUDI or BMW. Lexus gives the people what they want also remember they race the IS so making it good from the start is a must for them...not the best at performance but good enough for the average joe. Alot of people want the flair of gadgets and big rims with alot of factory HP and they are satisfied.All cars get out dated eventually.
I agree. I want gadgets too! I thought that I would be satisfied with the factory MB gadgets, but once I rode in some coworkers' Acura and Lexus vehicles, I no longer liked the MB navigation.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:57 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
I agree. I want gadgets too! I thought that I would be satisfied with the factory MB gadgets, but once I rode in some coworkers' Acura and Lexus vehicles, I no longer liked the MB navigation.
Don't you mean the "old" MB navigation?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Thats the 1st thing I noticed from my former 2007 to this 2002 but I like Lexus for the other luxury appointments then the Gadgets to. I like the overall package to. Remember I chose the C32 cause it has the overall package and its hard to compare technology that is that many years apart but it seems as though the new IS500 would have all I want. I am proud to own MB but I was proud to own Lexus to.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by AcesHigh

I really like it!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
Don't you mean the "old" MB navigation?
I think that both the old and new/current MB navigation stink in comparison to what Acura and Lexus offer.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW

I'm sorry, but I must aggressively disagree on the customer service bit. Mercedes-Benz probably has THE WORST customer service for luxury cars, at least in the 3 dealerships I've been in; one was alright to be honest -- wasn't great, but they treated me okay (Union, New Jersey) and two of them (Larchmont Mercedes and White Plains Mercedes) were just terrible!!! I mean, have you ever experience such horrible customer service that you'll actual bother contacting the Group of companies to report this; that's how terrible they were. Useless!

I think that's why Lexus always wins JD Power's Customer Service Awards; and also consumer awards. The difference is quite noticeable.

Anyway, I just had to point out my... actually, anger, with Mercedes-Benz customer service.

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
I think that both the old and new/current MB navigation stink in comparison to what Acura and Lexus offer.
Yeah, I agree. Acura is already on Sat. Nav and touch screen; but I wouldn't say just Mercedes, but all German manufactures in general (BMW, Porsche, VW, Mercedes, Audi) are not very quick or trendy when adapting technology into cars.

By the way, the new G35 has a hard drive (8GB), where you can dump all your music (or pictures, or videos) into the car and play it. Also, the car is not only has DVD Navigation but also a DVD player, to play DVD Movies.

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by tee_tz
one was alright to be honest -- wasn't great, but they treated me okay (Union, New Jersey)
You must be talking about Ray Catena? They are definately not representative of Mercedes dealers, they are one of the top in the country and I read somewhere that they have the top rated service department. I wish all Mercedes dealers would act like them. I've never understood why everyone in the dealerships look at you like "how dare you step foot in our showroom!" I have never experienced this even at a Bentley dealership where I probably couldn't even afford one wheel!
Old 01-11-2007, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
cmon guys.. all dealers have issues with good and bad service. To say one brand is worse than others is just silly.

There are 3 MB dealers in the San Diego area. I have only used 2 of them.

The closest one, MB of San Diego, sucks big time for customer service in the service department, but the parts guys are probably the coolest I have ever dealt with.

For service I use MB of Escondido. It is a much farther drive 20 mins at least, but their service department is second to none. I have never had better service with any other dealer. (BMW, Toyota, Nissan, Honda) They give free loaners,($10 for gas charge) have never questioned any warranty issue, and my SA is just a pleasure to work with. His name is Jeff for any San Diego locals..
Old 01-11-2007, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Yeah, I agree. Acura is already on Sat. Nav and touch screen; but I wouldn't say just Mercedes, but all German manufactures in general (BMW, Porsche, VW, Mercedes, Audi) are not very quick or trendy when adapting technology into cars.

By the way, the new G35 has a hard drive (8GB), where you can dump all your music (or pictures, or videos) into the car and play it. Also, the car is not only has DVD Navigation but also a DVD player, to play DVD Movies.

Tee_Tz.
You're right, all the germans . . .

That's why I switched from COMMAND to Pioneer AVIC-Z1. Bright large touch screen, traffic nav, 10gb hard drive, HUGE POI database, DVD player, TV tuner, XM radio, rear view cam, iPod integration, great bluetooth support, voice command, etc . . . and it behaves just like the factory unit, including steering wheel controls. The ONLY feature that I lost was navigation information on my cluster.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Yes, it was Ray Cantena that had good service. They actually have excellent service for all their automobiles throughout.

amgmark - You'd be very surprised actually. Not all dealerships/manufactures can go above and beyond for each customer, however, there is a NOTICEABLE difference when I take my BMW in for service and my Mercedes. It's not silly to say one brand focuses more on customer service than others, in any/every industry you find that -- one who leads in customer service, usually one with a niche market because it's easier to cater to their needs/expectations. Lexus in Japan is ALL about customer service, because essentially they sell the same product as Toyota. They give you 5-Star Hotel customer service, and not just in Japan, but all around the World, I gave the example of the U.S. now go read: http://wikicars.org/en/Lexus - scroll down to "Service" and see more. It's a conscious attitude that Lexus has that makes their customer service good, it's part of their business strategy and it's part of who they are.

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
the new G35 has a hard drive (8GB), where you can dump all your music (or pictures, or videos) into the car and play it.
sounds good but i for one dont care for those features. they are nice to have but i bet they'll cause problems and teh software will freeze. i hope it doesnt run windows
Old 01-11-2007, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
I really like it! It looks hot now!

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:01 PM

05 c55
since were talking about gadgets and Lexus...

I think the automatic parallel parking thing is a horrible idea.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:58 PM

C32
Originally Posted by amgmark
cmon guys.. all dealers have issues with good and bad service. To say one brand is worse than others is just silly.

There are 3 MB dealers in the San Diego area. I have only used 2 of them.

The closest one, MB of San Diego, sucks big time for customer service in the service department, but the parts guys are probably the coolest I have ever dealt with.

For service I use MB of Escondido. It is a much farther drive 20 mins at least, but their service department is second to none. I have never had better service with any other dealer. (BMW, Toyota, Nissan, Honda) They give free loaners,($10 for gas charge) have never questioned any warranty issue, and my SA is just a pleasure to work with. His name is Jeff for any San Diego locals..
Lucky you. My experience at MB isn't overly glaring, but at least they have never questioned my warranty repairs. One thing though ... my car is pure stock so the "have you modified so and so" argument is out of the window. Besides, the dealers charge MB for the work anyway, so they are definitely making money.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.