C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

my 351rwhp baseline dyno with only dusty filters!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
Negative....

I can get one though. I'm guessing that I'm going to push air into the valve next to the surge tanks? Instructions?
Well you'd have to rig something up with some Home Depot supplies. You need to get some pvc pipe and cap it off, drill/tap a compressed air fitting on the cap. Then you'll use a rubber/silicon coupler to connect it to your intake fittings (after the air box). Split the connection from the air compressor, and regulate about 20psi into the intake. Use a spray bottle with soapy water to hunt for any leaks. I don't see many areas for leaks since the intake isn't as complicated as a turbo system.

Well, that's the DIY way to check for intake leaks. If you want to make it a weekend project some time, I might was well check for leaks too
Old 01-16-2007, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
You can't swap the ECU between cars. They are coded to individual VIN #.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:28 PM
SPONSOR

where could it be leaking from? anything before the throttle body doesn't matter because there are no sensors there...you could run your car with the throttle body completely uncovered (i.e. no airboxes in place) and it would run fine...

maybe it is leaking at the phenolic spacers? that is the only thing i can think of off the top of my head...
Old 01-16-2007, 10:33 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
He said that I should check the hose on the right hand side of the intake splitter, as well as pressure hoses that are near the pulleys. If I remember right, he said some are low pressure and some are high pressure but any of them could cause an issue.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:35 PM
SPONSOR

He said that I should check the hose on the right hand side of the intake splitter, as well as pressure hoses that are near the pulleys. If I remember right, he said some are low pressure and some are high pressure but any of them could cause an issue.
why would the hose on the right side of the intake splitter make a difference?

i don't even have that one hooked up...
Old 01-16-2007, 10:44 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
why would the hose on the right side of the intake splitter make a difference?

i don't even have that one hooked up...
What does it do and I'll ask him?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:09 PM
SPONSOR

What does it do and I'll ask him?
i honestly don't know...the only thing i can figure out is that it recirculates exhaust gases back into the intake track from the valve cover...let me know what they say, i haven't had it hooked up since i first got the car, if it is supposed to be hooked up, then obviously i want to know...

i think it is only for emissions purposes...
Old 01-16-2007, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Yeah, I don't see too many leak places where there could be a leak. I agree, check the spacer install.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVE
LOL... OR, you could run a smoke machine through the system.

The hilarious thing would be if there was NO LEAK in the car whatsoever... then now what? Custom dyno-tuning FTW?

Are you having strange idle issues? Does it feel like the same car when it starts up?
Old 01-17-2007, 04:54 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I wish!

Actually, Renntech thinks that I have a leak in the air intake system. This should be fun to troubleshoot. They assured me that they map they used on my ECU should be in the low 12's. They also said that as soon as I punch it, it should drop to 12 - 12.3 and only move a little. So, he came to the conclusion that too much air is getting into the system and that is why I'm running lean. Personally, I think that the map is off and it just needs to be tweaked.
my guess is they didn't take into account that you have the sl-55 splitter.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:57 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
i honestly don't know...the only thing i can figure out is that it recirculates exhaust gases back into the intake track from the valve cover...let me know what they say, i haven't had it hooked up since i first got the car, if it is supposed to be hooked up, then obviously i want to know...

i think it is only for emissions purposes...
the small tube is suppose to be hooked up just below the driverside airboxon the valve cover. as for what is does...i have no idea. i reconnected everything when i put in the splitter just to be safe.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:56 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by mig888
LOL... OR, you could run a smoke machine through the system.

The hilarious thing would be if there was NO LEAK in the car whatsoever... then now what? Custom dyno-tuning FTW?

Are you having strange idle issues? Does it feel like the same car when it starts up?

I doubt there is a leak as well.

It does idle rough when the car is in gear. It starts fine unless it has been a week or so, then it seems to be sluggish for a second. Don't get me wrong, it starts right away, just not like a warm start.

What are you thinking?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:05 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Does anyone know what the torx screws are supposed to be torqued to?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:45 AM
SPONSOR

Does anyone know what the torx screws are supposed to be torqued to?
i just tightned mine down til they almost would not turn, but then again i have a tendency to over torque everything...
Old 01-17-2007, 10:14 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by FrankW
the small tube is suppose to be hooked up just below the driverside airboxon the valve cover. as for what is does...i have no idea. i reconnected everything when i put in the splitter just to be safe.
the reason i left if disconnected was because it also recirculates oil from the valve cover through the system, which will in turn coat the supercharger and intercooler over time with oil...definitely not a good thing...
Old 01-17-2007, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Renntech seems to think that I'm getting air from somewhere else in the system, that the "map they provided me wouldn't run that lean unless there was a leak".
Wait a second, I'm confused. If there is an intake leak after the map, like on the spacers, air would be leaking OUT (it is forced induction), so wouldn't that make the car run too rich, not lean?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
Jerry,

I doubt that anything is wrong with your car other than needing to be tunned properly. Renntech probably does not have a reference car with the same setup as you have.

Specifically, Renntech does not supply Headers and SL55 air intake for the C32. These will make it flow more air.

If you had an air intake leak, idle would bounce around and vaccum would be off.

Your A/F ratio shows the ratio, rising at 5k to 5.5k RPM, looks more like tunning to me.

Last edited by m444; 01-17-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:11 PM
SPONSOR

you guys have me thinking now...Jerry let me know what Renntech says, but i think i am going to hook that hose back up and see what happens...
Old 01-17-2007, 02:28 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
OK, spoke with Renntech again.

They still want me to check for intake leaks, but they now feel it is more of a tuning issue.

I have a dyno scheduled for Tuesday, and I'm supposed to bring my Eisenmann and factory exhaust and do a few pulls with each and see what happens.

They said that they have experienced this once before with a car that they tuned and it was because of resonating in the exhaust system. Jeff (Renntech tech & guru) nailed the rough idle and strange reverberation sounds that I’m experiencing during mid throttle. He said that this throws the O2 sensors off and that is why the car is running lean. They want me to do a few pulls with each exhaust before I send the ECU back for more tuning. The Eisenmann Race is high flowing, and the factory AMG is most likely not, so this could affect the numbers too. So, I’m going to do the rest of the tuning with the Eisenmann on.

He said that the ECU does not have static settings for A/F ratios, that the ECU is dynamic (constantly changing) and will try to compensate however it can (adding air, fuel, or removing it). The ECU uses the tuned maps as a starting point and a guide, but can and will change based on an individual driving style and sensors. He said that if one system is affected, that it could throw the ECU off, which results in power loss. He also said that the “Throttle Reset” method we use does not always work and that most of our cars will need to have the “learned” maps removed via the OBDII port. He said he has even seen cars with a disconnected battery keep learned maps. This might explain why some of us swear by the throttle reset and some see no change.

At any rate, I’m going to install the Eisenmann tonight, let the car get used to it and hopefully get some answers on Tuesday.

Most of this we already knew, but I'll try whatever they ask.

Last edited by sales@eurocharged.com; 01-17-2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:52 PM
SPONSOR

OK, spoke with Renntech again.

They still want me to check for intake leaks, but they now feel it is more of a tuning issue.

I have a dyno scheduled for Tuesday, and I'm supposed to bring my Eisenmann and factory exhaust and do a few pulls with each and see what happens.

They said that they have experienced this once before with a car that they tuned and it was because of resonating in the exhaust system. Jeff (Renntech tech & guru) nailed the rough idle and strange reverberation sounds that I’m experiencing during mid throttle. He said that this throws the O2 sensors off and that is why the car is running lean. They want me to do a few pulls with each exhaust before I send the ECU back for more tuning. The Eisenmann Race is high flowing, and the factory AMG is most likely not, so this could affect the numbers too. So, I’m going to do the rest of the tuning with the Eisenmann on.

He said that the ECU does not have static settings for A/F ratios, that the ECU is dynamic (constantly changing) and will try to compensate however it can (adding air, fuel, or removing it). The ECU uses the tuned maps as a starting point and a guide, but can and will change based on an individual driving style and sensors. He said that if one system is affected, that it could throw the ECU off, which results in power loss. He also said that the “Throttle Reset” method we use does not always work and that most of our cars will need to have the “learned” maps removed via the OBDII port. He said he has even seen cars with a disconnected battery keep learned maps. This might explain why some of us swear by the throttle reset and some see no change.

At any rate, I’m going to install the Eisenmann tonight, let the car get used to it and hopefully get some answers on Tuesday.

Most of this we already knew, but I'll try whatever they ask.
interesting...did you ask them about the intake hose? i am looking forward to the results
Old 01-17-2007, 02:55 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
interesting...did you ask them about the intake hose? i am looking forward to the results
I didn't ask because he changed his mind and said it was more of a tuning issue.

Sorry for the thread jack!!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
I didn't ask because he changed his mind and said it was more of a tuning issue.

Sorry for the thread jack!!
Hurry up and get the bugs worked out! I'm going to buy a copy of your software!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:48 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by jgsx
Hurry up and get the bugs worked out! I'm going to buy a copy of your software!
I would buy it too!

I also told them that I knew a few people waiting for this same map.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:39 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
the reason i left if disconnected was because it also recirculates oil from the valve cover through the system, which will in turn coat the supercharger and intercooler over time with oil...definitely not a good thing...
interesting...
Old 01-17-2007, 06:12 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by FrankW
interesting...
this why you see the lightning guys pull off the supercharger periodically to clean the intercooler...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: my 351rwhp baseline dyno with only dusty filters!!