C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Does bad I/C pump show up on diagnostic??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C32
Does bad I/C pump show up on diagnostic??

Just wondering for all of you that had the I/C pump replaced. I don't have a malfunction warning on the display. I want to know if I am going to have to take the SA for a ride and duplicate the problem or if will show up on their diagnostic.

I thought I was in the clear with 47,500 miles and today it showed up. Going from 50-60 MPH took like 3 seconds and felt like I was towing a 40 ft boat. Then a few minutes later the power was back. A few minutes later I was towing a boat again...
Old 01-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
I do not believe any of the C32's will show anything on the diognostics screen. In fact, mine didn't even throw any codes for the techs to find when it first started to go. They just sent me home saying nothing was wrong with my car. A few weeks later, it felt like I was driving a lawnmower so I took it back and it had thrown a code this time. Replaced under warranty!

Do not rely on the dash display for anything related to the I/C. Take the tech or SA for a ride.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:31 PM
gaz
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C
I have I/C pump playing up this week. Stored fault code of ' Intake air temperature implausible' Can't remember the code number that was displayed with it. Will check tommorow...
Old 01-17-2007, 06:39 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
Originally Posted by New2Me
Just wondering for all of you that had the I/C pump replaced. I don't have a malfunction warning on the display. I want to know if I am going to have to take the SA for a ride and duplicate the problem or if will show up on their diagnostic.

I thought I was in the clear with 47,500 miles and today it showed up. Going from 50-60 MPH took like 3 seconds and felt like I was towing a 40 ft boat. Then a few minutes later the power was back. A few minutes later I was towing a boat again...
I/C pump - 100%

S/C works for a while and while working, it actually worms up the intake air quite a bit. But since there is no intake air cooling (pump is toast), after a short time the IAT sensor detects the "too hot" temperature and shuts of the S/C. Here comes the big boat...

Since the S/C is not working at that point, the IAT is now cooler and after a few minutes it does coll the sensor (and the useless in this case I/C core). When that happens, the sensor allows the S/C to turn on again. Cycle closed - it goes again and again.

Capture that and tell it to service, hopefully they will listen... It worked for me.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 Mercedes C32 AMG Green Air Filters ASP Pulley Renntech ECU NGK Iridium Plugs BHP XPS Ceramic Br
How Much

Is this a DIY? how much will the stealership charge? Can it be covered under extended warrnty?
Thanks
THe Grasshopper
Old 01-17-2007, 08:10 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i/c pump failing will not show up on the display, but it will store a code as 'Intake air temperature implausible' like gaz said.

however most tech are not smart enough to take that as a hint. you'll have to ask them to run current through the pump and test if it's working.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:45 AM

2002 C32 AMG Orion Blue Charcoal/Blue
Mine did not throw a check engine light or any codes. If yours does that is great but don't rule this out as the issue because you have no CEL or codes.